Kason C7 vs TSF500 SHOOTOUT!

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Maklike Tier, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Well honestly, I think the C7 is a very nice racket. It's fast for something at this BP - the only two other rackets I've had with the same specs are the AT900T and SW310 from Victor, and the C7 is head and shoulders above them. Do keep in mind though, that in the grand scheme of things it's not particularly stiff - something around the MX60 in stiffness perhaps - and the TSF500 is less stiff again. But the upside of that is that you have a very accessible racket that for Intermediates gives a good balance between speed and power.

I will give you fair warning though, that if you get a C7 and come straight off a MX80? It's gunna feel all sorts of wrong. Give yourself time to get used to it and you'll be rewarded.

2. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Seems it is a perfect racket for me..

3. amirx2

amirx2 Regular Member

Chemist
    Thank you so much Maklike Tier for your short but comprehensive advice! Really appreciate that. =)

Maklike, I only possess only 1 racket at the moment which is MX80. I save up months to buy mx80. my dream racket. Thank god, finally I managed to get it. I love to play with it, as I said before, I made the racket best for me, not buying the best racket. I really love the control of mx80. But I think I need to have a spare racket which is medium stiff and more to even balance which I can switch if I am tired with MX80 or maybe during not on the form.

4. amirx2

amirx2 Regular Member

Chemist
    I will never ever let MX80 off. She's my queen at the moment. :)

5. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Then I'd get the MX60.

6. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Switching between MX series is not that difficult.... You may consider that....It has a nice Yellow color as well..

7. Aryan

Aryan Regular Member

Hi, like u I loved my MX80 as well. But when I get tired using it (due to its stiffness), I will switch to my 4U SW37 which is nice to use also (speedy and powerful).

Now I would like to try MX60 also since it is easy to use and have plenty of power. Kason C7 is also very tempting since it has good recommendation from many, especially Maklike :). Still saving money to get them ... :p

8. Erique

Erique Regular Member

My C7 is my back up for my MX80, the biggest problem for me is to adjust the different stiffness among the two, specially if you interchange the racket within a game. When I feel a little tired, or mostly play in front court I choose C7. When I'm in good condition I prefer MX80 because for me it produce more power in smash and good control.

9. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Honestly, why have a C7 as a back up for when you're having an off day, when you can just use an MX60? If the 80 didn't kill my shoulder, that's what I'd be inclined to do, because they're essentially the same racket.

It makes sense to use the 500 as a 'back up' for the C7 if you're not feeling like using something that head heavy, because they have a similar lineage.

#29 Maklike Tier, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  10. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Why don't you buy 4U MX80? it is a good backup racket for your 3U MX80

11. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Okay, so I've had a bit more time getting to know the TSF500 so I can further elaborate on the feel and characteristics of it.

First the good bits.

I think when summing up Kason rackets, their major selling point is their tactility, and the 500 is no exception. They just feel right, like an extension of your hand - they feel like a lot of time and effort has been put into design - you can feel that there is a lineage with these rackets. With some brands and models, you can really tell that they're just following trends or just making rackets with little focus on feel or damping or giving the product character. You can't argue that with the 500 or the C7.

In terms of a direct comparo, the 500 very much seems like a less head heavy version of the C7, despite the fact that they don't share any similarity in the cross-section design of any part of their heads. The C7 is marginally stiffer than the 500, which is a good thing. As a more direct comparo, it probably would've been better to compare the 500 with the F9, but personally, I wouldn't want anything less stiff than the C7 so I'll leave that comparo to somebody else.

And now the not so good.

If you're all about stiffness, then probably neither of these rackets are for you. The C7 has a decent amount of stiffness, but even for me - a guy who doesn't generally like super stiff rackets - I think both of these could do with some stiffening. This was very apparent when you play with something that has a super stiff head, like the Victor Meteors or the RKEP Pro9000 which I had a hit with last night - the stringbed on those is super rigid. Despite any Kason propaganda in regards to the torsional stability of the racket face, it could definitely be improved.
    In terms of shaft flexibility, I think both are a decent match for each particular racket, but overall both rackets are only the stiffness (playable stiffness, not armchair stiffness) of something like a mid-stiff Victor like the MX60, with the 500 less stiff again.

Conclusions?

Despite the lack of stiffness, it's the feel and the tactility of these rackets that makes you like them. If you like that 'tool' like mechanical feel to your rackets then you'll hate these, but personally I find the tactility really addictive.

In the race for the 'uber' racket, it's mid-spec rackets like both of these that often get overlooked by those who seem blinded by the game of buying the 'latest and greatest' only to sell it a month later when they realise it doesn't suit their game, or worse. In my opinion, this mentality is a huge mistake, and personally I'd like to see more 'intermediates' reach for more accessible and tactile rackets like these.

The pick here is the C7. It's just a tad stiffer than the 500, with a bit of weight in the head and speed belying its weight. If you're used to rackets in the upper end of the 'balanced' scale (BP295) and want to venture into slightly more weight in the head, this is your go-to racket.

In summary, both are solid, great feeling 'middling' Intermediate rackets, and if you like that sort of thing then you'll definitely find something to like in both. However, some more stiffness would elevate both into the realm of the greats - in their current spec the C7 reaches a bit higher, but the 500 falls a little short of the mark. However, when it comes to feel and tactility, these two Kasons have it in spades.

12. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

I've been waiting to read this for a while now, and it was worth it. That was a very enlightening comparison. Thanks! I look forward to hearing the results of the BS11 vs. MX60 test :)

13. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    @Maklike Tier

Is the stiffness of C7 around the same with Arc 7 stiffness?

14. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    I haven't had a hit with an Arc7 for ages, but the C7 is not particularly stiff. Even though its been years since I owned one, I'm reminded a bit of the AT900T. It's about the same stiffness the old spec BS11 and MX80. Very usable.

15. kingskawn

kingskawn Regular Member

I'm a hard smasher and I'm looking for a new racket. Can you advice de C7 of something else?

16. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Its not a particularly stiff racket, but if that's not a problem and you like mildly head heavy rackets, then sure. Otherwise, I'd look for something stiffer and head heavier like a SW35, MX80 or VT80. You might also want to look at the RKEP Pro 9000, too.

17. kingskawn

kingskawn Regular Member

Where do you get those Kason rackets? I live in Belgium, Europe if you know a good shop that sends abroad ;)

18. BlueTornado

None of those are Kason. SW35 and MX80 are Victor, VT80 is Yonex. RKEP Pro9k is RKEP, obviously. haha

19. kingskawn

kingskawn Regular Member

Ok, figured it out :p

I can have the Victor MX80 at $177 in a local store. Is that a good price?

20. BlueTornado

What currency?