Super Series Grand Finale Group Stage (12-14 December 2012)

Discussion in 'Super Series Final 2012' started by etudiant, Dec 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

It often happened, the underdog played excellent against a top player only to lose to a lesser opponent the next round. Still kudos to Vittinghus.

2. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

you're joking, right?

3. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    not many players is as rich as Lin Dan, rumor has it that he send Bwf a blank cheque right after the Olympics and let them fill in the 00s when he decided to come back.

Are you kidding??? Is that a way to hype his name??? He may be one of the top earners in the badminton arena... But not the topper in earning...

4. isben

isben Regular Member

Engineer
    The report mention that he injured his ankle again. Same ankle that was injured during Thomas cup. They got the tournament doctor to verify prior to announcing his withdrawal.
    Funny thing is I read the badminton magazine from china and in it Lcw said he played throught OG on pain killers. Why does BWF need the player to get injured once more prior to allowing them to withdraw.

I did mention that to escape being fined a player has to compete in at least a match.

Typing on an iPhone so can't paragraph it properly

5. Oceanwave

Oceanwave Regular Member

when on other thread, Justin L posting LYB's complain about BWF schedule being too packed, citing player fatigue. and suggested it's not just affecting chinese players, but an issue for many top players. quite a few people pounced on it, and claiming it's LYB playing some game again to gain favorable condition for CBA team.
    Now, at year's end, with SSF, a high prized, ranking point rich tournament. we have 5, possibly 6 withdrawal in first round of group matches. it's not inconceivable to assume that after a year of highly packed schedule and emotional draining OG, fatigue and injuries are catching up to the world's best players.

This from LCW : “ I think the schedule of BWF is too dense, we have to play so many tournaments every year, thus it’s difficult for player to play very well and be at his at his best in every match. In order to avoid punishment, we have to play which may lead to injuries.” My condition is different from Lin Dan. I’m much more hard working than him as my pressure is bigger in Malaysia. Now I drafted a plan for myself to play until Asia Games, then I’ll check my status and consider if I will continue and Play until Olympic Gamed held in Rio.”
    http://www.badzine.net/news/ss-finals-day-1-chong-wei-“i’m-not-in-the-right-shape”/22640/

It does sounded like LCW wishes he can pick and choose events to play so that it matches best with his condition. But fans and sponsor pressure made it impossible to do so. Year in year out, he's been playing in almost all SS events and some even lesser tournaments. Somehow he becomes the most hardworking man in the business, the king of SS events without a world title. People expect to see him in every event and perform well, as GC commented in every LCW match "27 SS titles" "the great supporter of SS, comparing to LD ..."
    Don't you think playing like this is also diminishing his chance at world title? Playing all year long non-stop and going after every title, don't you think he'd rather aiming for one major title only in a year, and schedule his time accordingly? But, no, he couldn't. the pressure seems from everywhere: the fans, home country, bwf rules ..., everything seems to be against that.

I'm not saying LCW could have won a world title for sure if he focused his schedule in peaking his condition at such event rather than going after every tournament non-stop, but don't you agree his chance would go up by a lot if he could've done so? Only now, near end of his career, with the hope of a world title slowly slipping, he mustered the courage to speak up.

Of course, LYB didn't complain on BWF schedule for the good of the world badminton. He's Chinese national head coach, he's speaking for his players. However, the point still stands, the packed event schedule from BWF plus various national leagues is a factor in player fatigue and injuries. And I believe, if speaking freely, many top player would like a less packed BWF SS schedule, and rid of the monetary penalty.

My point is, current BWF Schedule and SS rules is good for the sports spreading, but not good for its top players, potentially shorten their playing life. And i do not believe cross sports comparison to tennis is valid, different income level, different national system, different stamina usage during a game, different probability of sustain an injury during a match when player are not in top conditions... Simply too many difference to compare an single aspect, schedule between 2 sports.

Don't discount everything coming out of CBA camp. Many issues they raised do have merits. In this case, CBA has done very good job of shielding its players somewhat from schedule issue, and peak them for major events. I think many players from other countries would love such support.

#285 Oceanwave, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  6. Oceanwave

Oceanwave Regular Member

Another point i'm trying to make. be considerate of others, trying to see from other's point of view. For sports such as badminton which are still trying to expand its popularity and finding its format, many things needs input and protection from its global fans. the not so infrequent hostlity displayed in this forum, the biggest english language badminton forum, towards China, really isn't helping those goals much. Yes, China VS ROtW probably is a reality in badminton, but they are you opponents not enemies. I really hope people don't take this wrongly, can u imagine badminton globally without China?
    To cap things off, i present you with this song. i think the lyrics somehow describe the relation between fans and star players, between bwf and its players, even between fans from different countries. take what you will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk_S3BwE_n4

7. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    All MAS entries lost their matches yesterday. :crying: Including KKK/TBH:D

8. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Thanks isben.. Thanks for translating the article.. I appreciate your work.. Thanks once again...:)

9. boon_keng

boon_keng Regular Member

bros............like to ask.........how come the HKG WD pair (Poon/Tse) play half-hearted like that? are they injured?........

10. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Second winning for the Olympic champion in group stage, def. Poon LY/Tse YS, 21-6 / 21-9.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Well said. I strongly feel LCW should take a break, have a really good rest, go for his honeymoon, enjoy marital bliss. But not too long, say two months should be enough;otherwise it might take quite a bit of effort and time to regain his form and condition. I believe, LCW will come back as strong as before,he's good for a couple of years,hope to see him in Rio'16.

12. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Yes, Liem Swee King.

13. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Saina's chance to progress into semifinal is very slim now, after suffered losing twice. Ratchanok def. last year SS Finals runner-up Saina Nehwal, 21-13 / 21-16.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Is that Intanon yelling after winning a point, seldom hear her doing that? And She beats Saina convincingly in straight sets,21-13,21-16. I think Saina may be out of the running with two losses. See how the other two performs.

15. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Eriko pushed Li XR hard times, the Chinese won game 1 with 25-23.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

A tight first game won by LXR,25-23. LXR not as sharp and aggressive as she can be, Eriko put up stiff resistance to stretch her.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

LXR surged towards the end of G2 with six consecutive points to win 21-15 and take the match. But I feel she is a bit too inconsistent, somewhat erratic, impatient with long rallies - still room for improvement.

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

If HKV continues to play inspired badminton like yesterday,he should overcome Tago whose form is not bad too.

19. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    someone continuosly and repeatly said ratchanok played too much badminton this year.
    and yet she beat the 2nd and the 4th seed here:D
    she is through to semi final!

20. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Yes.. Ratcha you did it .....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.