Brave Sword 10 Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Jayssen, Oct 24, 2009.

1. amac38

amac38 Regular Member

Picked up a 2nd-Gen BS10 4U from my local shop in Perth for $150AUD, I really love it!

However it's factory strung, what tension would this usually be?

I've read through this thread and the BG66U seems to be the recommended string over the usual BG80, is this still the case?

What's your preferred string for the BS10? I'm just an intermediate player so I'll string it to 23lbs. I'm an all-rounder player if that matters.

Thank you.

2. yerrorice

yerrorice Regular Member

I don't know about the factory strung tension but I use Zymax 65 @26 pounds and it feels great! :D

3. happy758

happy758 Regular Member

Brave Sword 10
    Zymax 67 ; 27 lbs

I have an Amortec 900 Power and will somewhat compare the two. I used to play with my Armotec, but I recently got my Brave Sword so I want to play with it :D

After switching rackets, all my shots improved but one - The smash.. Drops, clears, drives, pushes were effortless! When it came to smashing, well... It sure made a hell of a sound but the speed was a lot slower than the Armortec's. Maybe I just need more time to adjust? Defense with this racket is amazing as well. Very easy. Overall I'm pretty happy with the Brave Sword.

-In My Opinion-
    Drives: 9/10
    Clears: 10/10
    Drops: 9/10
    Smashes: 7.5/10
    Overall: 9

4. NeverWalkAlone

NeverWalkAlone Regular Member

Just bought bs10. After much contemplating and racket swinging (surprised i didn't smack anyone) in the shop between bs12/bs11/bs10/mx-jjs and mx80, i finally chose bs10 and string it with bg66@25/27lb. It was mainly because it'd be easier for me to adjust between sw35/volt80/bs10 since the shaft stiffness will be more or less the same.

it definitely felt lighter than the ones i have and faster. initially, the thing that concerned me with lighter head rackets would be the backhand clear. it just felt bs10 has enough meat in it to deliver sufficient deep backhand clears. i was supposed to test it today, but they closed off the sport hall for election :crying:. damn.

5. OctoLotuS

OctoLotuS Regular Member

Promote and increase Badminton awareness in Wester
    Which shop in Perth? I've been trying to find a Badminton Shop in Perth that sells Victor rackets.

6. NeverWalkAlone

i just had my first session with bs10. First impression. I like how the racket feels. I am used to head heavy rackets. This was new experience for me. I played a few good games with it. The net kills and drives were impressive. Defense and counter attacking were fun. They felt easy. I even got some backhand smashes during the games. Smashes were steep.

I like it. I did not regret buying this racket. Especially for doubles.

7. HardSmasher

HardSmasher Regular Member

Senior Engineer
    I just bought another brave sword 10 today. After trying other racquets(vt80, vtzforce, mx80) in the shop, still prefer the feeling of holding and swinging bs10.

#247 HardSmasher, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  8. HardSmasher

Senior Engineer
    Have strung the racquet with nanogy 98 at 27lbs, also with karakal grip. Expecting explosive session next week with my second bs10:D

9. NeverWalkAlone

How did it go with your nanogy 98? I am going to string mine with bg66 ult. I did not feel the power with bg66.

10. HardSmasher

Senior Engineer
    From my experience, bg66 more than 25lbs will feel dead. It works fine for me with bs10 strung with nanogy 98(sp or jp) at 26 or 27lbs, power and repulsion is there, I always enjoy the combination as they provide the result.:cool:

#250 HardSmasher, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  11. NeverWalkAlone

Bg66 works well with other rackets except bs10. The other rackets are head heavy. It is easier to generate power with them. I will strung bs10 with bg66 ult and see how it goes.

I am reluctant to use other strings beside bg66 and bg66 ult. It will take time to adjust to other strings during games.

#251 NeverWalkAlone, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  12. HardSmasher

Senior Engineer
    The good side is nanogy 98 still don't break during game, only restring if tension drops, normally after 2-3months:D

13. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    IMO the BS10 is a real masterpiece of Victor. Since two years they produce rackets without much variation in terms of specs. Especially the newer BS are too flexy for me. As a long time BS10 user I can recommend BG80 or VS 850.

14. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Guys, how does the BSLYD compare against a BS10 in terms of balance and stiffness?

15. HardSmasher

Senior Engineer
    BS10 is max stiffness and balance at middle(HH/HL). For me, I remove the original grip, and replace with karakal grip(3u2g) which suits me:)

16. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    BS10 (DE-Coded) is slightly stiffer and slightly less head heavy. The specs are different but IMO they are sometimes close. Victor rackets are strange and tend sometimes to differ extremely in terms of weight and balance if you hold the same model in your hand. +/- 5mm and +/- 3 grams is not a surprising thing. I had the luck to get two very headheavy SW35.

17. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I managed to get a bit of information on this to answer my own question. And to help anyone else looking for this info, this is what I've managed to get from a reputable Victor retailer from his stock.

BS10 Taiwan 3U/G2 (Stiffness 4/5, Balance 3/5)

BP = 283mm (89g)
    BP = 287mm (87g)
    BP = 290mm (88g)
    BP = 290mm (89g)
    BP = 290mm (89g)

I compared this to my BS-LYD but unfortunately this is strung with cellophane wrap. So I would estimate that the BP would shift by about 8-10mm if dry.

BSLYD Germany 3U/G2 (Stiffness 4/5, Balance 4/5)

BP = 309mm (94.5g)

Estimate dry BP = 300mm (91g)

I have to say that I'm very surprised that my BSLYD is so head heavy and heavy overall. I would have thought that being 3U is should be around 85g-89g dry.

I just ordered the BS10 with BP = 290mm (88g). Hopefully this will feel more headlighter than my BSLYD.

18. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Re BSLYD, yep, that's also what I measured at my local store. Quite head and head heavy.

19. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
  20. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Anyone know where I can get hold of a 3U European (DE coded) BS10?

I understand the DE version is 5/5 stiffness. I have the TW version which is 4/5 stiffness.