Places to play in Monterey?

Discussion in 'USA West' started by Jay.S, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Jay.S

Jay.S Regular Member

I'm moving to Monterey in a few months, and am hoping to find somewhere to play. Does anyone play there, or have friends who do? Please let me know, I don't want to have to drive up to San Jose every weekend! Thanks!

2. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I'd check out CSU Monterey Bay to see if they have open gym for badminton or a badminton club. Also check out this site, it lists badminton:

http://www.monterey.org/sportscenter/hours.html

Local high schools may also have open gym.

3. Jay.S

Jay.S Regular Member

Thanks Joseph, good to know! CSUMB has a gym that lists badminton as an activity, but no schedule or further information that I can find.

I should be more specific, I'm hoping to find serious or semi-serious players (~C level and above) in the area.

4. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Yeah, I'm hoping you do find people. Also check neighboring cities like Salinas. If all else fails, you can try UC Santa Cruz which I think is closer than San Jose. I have a really good friend who plays there. Good luck!

5. rceerla

rceerla Regular Member

Entrepreneur
    Jay...

Did you move to Monterey? I am Malaysian and would love to play Badminton. I live in Monterey. I last played 20 years ago. Slightly above average.

6. Jay.S

Jay.S Regular Member

Not yet, I plan to move up in July. I'd love to play! If you know a place & time, just let me know.

7. rceerla

rceerla Regular Member

Entrepreneur
    Not sure of a place. But there's MPC, CSUMB, Monterey Sports Center and a few other places that would accomodate for a small fee. I am sure once we start, we may be able to find others here. Monterey is very diverse, very international, lost of asians, and couple of international schools here.

I though of psoting on Craigslist, and just signed up on Badminton Central. So, when you get down here, email me, and we can go from there.

Whats your origin country. I'm ex-Malaysian, Naturalized American.

8. Jay.S

Jay.S Regular Member

I'm an American white guy. I've been playing tournaments for a while, but I might have to cut back on that soon. For sure, I'll get in touch with you after I move up.

9. Farah

Farah New Member

self employed
    anybody interested in Badminton in Monterey area

Hello guys,
    I also live in Monterey area and love to get back to playing Badminton. I am a woman and haven't played for ages. My level used to be average but I don't think I can play as swiftly as I used to. I miss playing badminton and would love to find people who have the same interest and just play for the joy of playing. If you know anybody who plays in the Monterey area please let me know.
    Thanks.
    Farah

10. rceerla

rceerla Regular Member

Entrepreneur
    This is very interesting. I seriously doubted I would find anyone who'd be interested in playing. Jay, I used to play at school level in Malaysia. So WAS pretty good, but that was when I had more hair on my head. I am pretty sure I can give you a sweat.

Farah, thanks for posting here. I would love to hook up here. Maybe we can start a club here in Monterey.

Guys, you can email me at rceerla@yahoo.com This is not private email, we can go from there. I will go down to CSUMB and check them out tomorrow and get all the details and will post.

I go down to Malaysia every 3 months or so, so I'll pick up some equipment my next trip. I still have my Yonex I used in school competitions. Old.

11. rceerla

rceerla Regular Member

Entrepreneur
    Monterey Badminton

I did my research. There is a big group that plays at the Monterey Sports Center. They meet most mornings. There are 2 groups. One is the DLI folks (defense Language Institute), and the instructors are from there. Mostly Chinese. There are also students from the Moneterey Institute of International Studies who come and play. They have 3 courts setup inside the sports center. A fee is required to have access to the sports center. Nets and poles are provided. I think you need to only bring your racquets.

Raju

12. rceerla

rceerla Regular Member

Entrepreneur
    Badminton - Monterey Update

The Monterey Sports Center does have courts and nets. There are some people who play there daily. I went in and observed. They are about average players. I'm a competitive badminton player.

So anyone want to go and play, let me know.

13. sanveer76

sanveer76 Regular Member

Computer systems administrator
    Interested in playing badminton

Hi,
    I just moved to the Monterey and would love to play badminton again. I havent played in 10 years ever since i moved to the states from india. Let me know if anybody is interested in playing and where in Monterey.
    Hope to get started soon.

I will do some shopping now for a new racket.
    :)

14. rceerla

rceerla Regular Member

Entrepreneur
    Badminton

Monterey Sports Center. WE play occasionally.

15. sanveer76

sanveer76 Regular Member

Sounds good, is there like a schedule in a week you guys follow or is it just when ever you guys feel like it? I will drop by monterrey sports club this weekend to check out the scenario. Any recommendation on a racquet?

16. Jay.S

Jay.S Regular Member

I just moved up this weekend. Thanks for all of the info, Raju! This thread has grown since I last looked!

It sounds like Monterey Sports Center is the place to be. When do you normally go? I'll play pretty much any time that's not during normal weekday work hours. I'll keep checking this thread periodically, or you can email me: jay.simon *at* gmail *dot* com

17. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Just really curious...is this the Jay Simon that I used to play with at Bintang a long time ago before he moved to Irvine for grad school?

18. Jay.S

Jay.S Regular Member

Yeah, badminton is a small world :) I plan on occasionally driving up to play at the new Bintang on weekends, maybe I'll see you there.

19. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Awesome, but I don't really play anymore. The last time I played was at the end of May I think. I've been recovering from a recent wrist injury (muscle strain). And even before then, I've only been playing once a month.

20. sanveer76

sanveer76 Regular Member

I have registered at monterey sports club, i talked to the person incharge there and he said most of the badminton action happens over the weekend. I will check it out this weekend to see. I would love play daily after office hours though if possible