Top 5 Badminton Injury to watchout for

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by AceSpade, Apr 24, 2009.

1. AceSpade

AceSpade Regular Member

2. amfslash

amfslash Regular Member

My experience:

1. Tennis elbow
    2. rotator cuff i.e. shoulder
    3. Knee joint e.g. collateral ligament, ACL, patellar tendon etc
    4. Wrist joint
    5. Ankles e.g. achilles tendon, sprained ankle etc

Currently nursing a right lateral collateral ligament strain... must be age catching up...

3. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

after scanning through the article, i think i have a moderate rotator cuff injury. anyone with past experience on this can share anything?

4. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    Inflamed tendons through overuse :(

5. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

shin problems have been the worst for me. the lumps and bumps around my shin which really hurt while jumping. i think its called shin splints

6. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Yes :(

Go and get it checked by a surgeon as soon as you can.

I tore mine in two places and required surgery to fix it, had the surgery nearly 5 years ago and although it still gets a bit sore every now and then there hasn't been (touch wood!) a reoccurrence :)

Insist on getting it checked properly - I played with the injury for 5 years before I insisted on seeing a surgeon. It ruined my technique and I lost arguably my best playing years as I tore it when I was 21 and didn't get it repaired until I was 26! :( It was easily diagnosed with a scan (the tears were really easy to see) and it was a pretty straightforward operation - about 45 minutes or so I'm told - I can't remember as I was knocked-out! (keyhole surgery - I've got a 2.5cm scar on the front of my shoulder and a very small scar on the back)

#6 RichF, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  7. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

what symptoms did you have?
    i'm not completely sure what i have. sometimes i get a sudden pain in my right shoulder (anterior deltoid region) when doing some shots, usually 'around the head'. my right arm then goes weak. that sensation lasts for a minute or a few.
    its hard for me to describe what i actually feel. its something like a pull. the 'affected' region does not seem to swell, no pain when pressed on too. have no idea if it is muscular.

i am quite sure it is caused by my technique. i'm working to get the right technique. will see how it goes.

and btw, its on and off. there are days when i don't get it at all and sometimes once or twice.

#7 llpjlau, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  8. RichF

RichF Regular Member

The injury occurred when I was serving in a tennis match - I actually heard a noise! :eek:

Pain in the front of my shoulder when playing overheads especially when the shuttle was slightly behind me.

After playing a hard shot like a smash my next overhead often had to be a soft shot like a drop because my arm simply couldn't hit multiple hard shots.

If you have torn one of the tendons then it may be in a different place to mine so you may find that different shots cause you pain.

Before the real injury was diagnosed I went through a lot of physio (it would never have fixed it but nobody knew that at the time) I did learn one excercise that was guaranteed to cause the pain:

1. Put your right hand into the small of your back (i.e. near your coccyx)
    2. Turn your hand so that the palm is facing outwards
    3. Use your left hand to gently push your right hand away from your body i.e. backwards, make sure you keep your right hand level with your coccyx
    4. Be very careful/gentle!
    5. Keep pushing and you will feel some resistance in the front of your shoulder, for me the resistance became pain!
    Once I got the referral to an orthopedic surgeon it was very easy to diagnose with an ultrasound scan - I really think you should push for this.

9. ViggeN

ViggeN New Member

how about a torn ACL and a fracture Tibia?? That's what I got for turning and returning a smash.

10. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    sh!t i'm only 18 (turning 19 in like a month) i already feel age catching up(recovery times are longer) But i think sprained ankles are not a problem, as my mom would say whenever i sprain anything-->move it and you'll have an odd movement which will put it right again. Well thats what i do when i have a sprained ankle atleast.

11. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

dude, after reading that page i dont think i wana play badminton anymore (unless i have the money to buy some decent health insurance, lol)

12. AceSpade

AceSpade Regular Member

Just warm up properly & you should be fine

13. Kiloo

Kiloo Regular Member

Engineer
    Yes Agreed, and AGE being the biggest enemy:crying::D

14. ingridt

ingridt Regular Member

student
    QFT ......

15. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

A good warm-up helps a lot, but I'm afraid there's rather more to it than just that. :(