badminton related insomnia?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Kamen, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    Sleep Problem

Yes, i find it difficult to sleep after games.

I play on Mons, Weds and Fris from 9 pm till 11 pm. After shower, stretching and etc, it will not be until 2 am that i will feel sleepy.

Sometimes, i will be awake till 4 am or 5 am when i had some really tight games.

Do you have the same problem? If yes, how do you deal with it?

Lack of sleep defeats the health benefits arise from Badminton. :eek:

2. khwong

khwong Regular Member

Self Employed
    I do play till 11pm too regularly but i do not have this sleeping problem. Do you go for supper after that? Try not to eat too much after 10pm. This might not work for you but just my suggestion.

3. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Have you ever heard of the supplement ZMA? It is composed of zinc, magnesium and vitamin B6, which tend to be depleted in athletes. The main purpose of this supplement is to correct those deficiencies, those three ingredients working synergistically to help absorbtion, ultimately resulting in testosterone levels rising up to where they should be without the nutrient depletion.

I mention this because it is also said that ZMA helps improve the quality of your sleep, often giving very vivid dreams. Also, the magnesium acts as a relaxant, helping you to fall asleep. You might want to take a look into it.

4. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

I have no trouble getting to sleep. But I tend to wake up 4-5 hours afterwards and unable to sleep more. Before I started playing badminton seriously, I used to sleep anything upto 14 hours a day. So my sleep is definitely affected by badminton. Another thing I noticed was muscle cramps. I never used to have them. Now I get them quite frequently. I suspected that badminton depleted something in my system but I hadn't gotten round to work out what. I think it is worthwhile looking into what stumblingfeet is suggesting.

5. setaa

setaa Regular Member

well i read in a mag before that it is not recommended to do heavy excercising right before sleeping. most people think that by tiring yourself you would sleep easily but it's not true

6. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Kamen, I have the same problem as you. I play from, say 5-7:30/8pm. After the games, I rest and shower and then try to hit to the bed early, but always end up sleeping very late. I feel my heart still beating very fast and excited esp after some good games. Maybe it's not just the heart but the mind ??

7. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    Hum i remember i had a speaker come in and talk about stress and they would talk about excersise as a form of stress relief but they also said that you shouldnt sleep for 4 hours after any heave excersise i cant rember why they said that but thats what i remember. Anyways as for if i have come across this problem hum no not really i remember once at a tournament i finished at 11:30 and got home at 12 as soon as i got home i fell asleep and didnt wake up till 8 the next morning when i had to go in and play again. It all depends on the person though.

8. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    i got the same problem in the past kamen when i only played once a week. but it didn't happen to me anymore since 2005. after i started to play 3 times a week.

9. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    Thanks all for your reply but is there a remedy?

I tried changing my Fris playing time from night to afternoon. On Fris, i now play from 4pm to 7pm. This helps cause i would be very awake till 10 pm but would be very sleepy when comes 11 pm.

However, i am still having the problem on Mon and Wed nights. Sigh!

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Kamen,

do a search for "insomnia" in the forum. while there haven't been discussions on remedies, it does in fact show that badminton insomnia as we call it is quite common.

11. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Yes, that helps tremendously. For us the VRC early morning gang, sleep insomnia is a real problem. We actually compound the problem by having early breakfast - iced lemon tea and HK style cream tea included ;). Perhaps a warm cup of milk will help you fall asleep if you ever play in the evening again. Look on the bright side, sleep insomnia is a sight of a true baddie fanatic. After game analysis always precede the need of sleep.

12. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    I did a search for "sleep" and checked all threads, all were not relevant.

My bad, did not think our using the word "insomia". :eek:

Also, i think i posted in the wrong forum, this thread should be in the general forum. :eek: :eek:

13. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

Recently I've noticed that whenever I don't play badminton, I can't sleep until maybe 3 or 4 am in the morning. but on days/nights that I do play badminton (usually 2-3 times a week), I sleep like a baby...

you think this has something to do with my badminton routine? should I do some other physical activities on nonbadminton days to drain my energy? it's getting serious b/c I'll just lie in bed and turn and just can't go to sleep :(

14. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Yea maybe get fit doin something else on days u dont play badminton so it tires u out. Hey it wud b a gud way to increase ur fitness and strength :D

15. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor

This mean that You're still a Single Guy and I don't think you have a GF at all. Very simple, You either find yourself a GF to release some of your reserve energy or Use the Hands that God bless you With........good luck...:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

16. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Believe it or not, I've done research and what he has said does actually make you sleep easier. But yeah, it seems like you sleep easier on days you play badminton because you tire yourself out. It's actually the same for me as I post this at 2:12 AM.

17. kitseb

kitseb Regular Member

Consultant
    Strange, but I have the opposite problem :eek:. When I play matches (not social / training play) I can't seem to wind down. I keep re-playing the matches. It causes a problem when I have to go to work the day after a match.

18. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

I have similar sleep patterns and am a very light sleeper. I tend to kick around a lot at night and wake up a lot. Think I've got Restless Leg Syndrome =/
    Lots of exercise definitely makes me sleep better and the Mr's doesn't get so many bruises on her butt from me kicking her in my sleep! =)

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    badminton insomnia is definitely real.

i have it every once in a while.

i usually play until 10pm or 11pm. i noticed that after an hour or so, there is a period of tiredness. within that time window, i can fall asleep. however, if i try to stay up beyond that, the tiredness goes away and the insomnia kicks in. so it is best to catch on the initial tiredness and go to sleep then. see if that applies to you.

20. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Same here. It's best warm down by stretching.