The Walkover & Withdrawal issue - rights and wrongs

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by cobalt, Sep 24, 2011.

1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    So, like many politicians who ruin the society, the "easiest" way to catch up, is NOT train yourself but to change the rule book. Even if the rule clearly intend to rob someone, we still tell the victim to shut up.

Let me bring up an extreme example. Say, I am a corrupted lawmaker, and I took away your "self defense" right. Then, when I try to rob you, you kicked my @$$ instead. Now, I am waving the rule book up and down, and point your noise say, "hey, you are the criminal", which the fact is, everyonee knows you are the true victim.

You get the point now? Ppl like LYB, LD, CJ, CL, etc are the victim of the OG rule. They need to keep their job, while under the unfavorable rule above their head. If you are in their shoes, what you want to do? Still play all out, losing the title to an outside, then get fired tomorrow?

As I am writing, I am watching a college football game right now. The winning team (by 1 point) on purposely let the clock run down (QB knee down) for the last 90 seconds. Even the commentator said, if somehow the other team get the ball back, they have a legit chance to cause an upset.

So, let me ask your "sportsmanship" supporters. Why the leading team coach / player not try to make some plays at the end? Why can't they have the guts to take the risk (turn over result in a lose), and be a man, and give every penny of my ticket worth? Why they only played real game for 58.5 minutes, instead of 60? Why they have to "cheat" (take advantage of current rule) to win? Because, their top pirority is to WIN, be it pretty or not. Can you imagine what will happen, if they did get a turn over, and lose? By then, I am afraid that no only someone will his job, and us fans instead of praise them for "sportmanship", we will laugh our rear end off, saying "what an idiot".

Welcome to the real world...

2. madbad

madbad Regular Member

This has got to be the most ironic post in this thread. If Anna is a thief, what does that make the CBA? :cool:

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    You're still singing the same tune. Now you've gone a couple of steps further and lumped the OG committee with all the corrupt politicians in the world who have one agenda: to screw you and people like you, and specifically, China! That is apart from cleverly (or not so cleverly) confusing the issues of regular BWF tournaments with OG qualification.

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Are you really NOT THERE??? Read your above post carefully. And you use those apples-to-oranges situations to justify the walkout/walkover issues we are discussing?? Its pretty obvious that you either don't care to think objectively before you post, OR, maybe you aren't capable of that exercise. OR maybe you know exactly what you're up to... Your earlier post actually sums up your attitude:

5. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    It's the fans. The fans are the ones supporting it, the sames ones are also the people who can be detrimental to the sport. Just one fella holding up a picket sign "No more this, no more that... we are fed up" etc, can do serious damage (at least the sport image) on live tv. That also leaves up to who will be brave enough to stand up to this 'sham' which we are delving into until the cows come home with nothing to change the scenario. It is when someone or something happens that rocks the comfortable boat the BWF is sitting on, only then will they have the momentum to start doing something, whether it's fruitful or not, that's another matter.

Otherwise, everything is just wishy-washy hopefuls for now.

6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Yeah, it's aall those "narrow-minded fans" from places like Peru who are causing all the problems with badminton. Right!!! I hate to tell you, but you just blew it, again.

"whining" and "blaming" does not justify someone cheating. Get real. Move on.

Maybe because we don't like to be screwed over by manipulators? And if basketball asspociations around the world really knew all they needed to improve themselves, the US would be just another nation playing the game, not a powerhouse. And remember, basketball is a team sport; badminton is essentially an individual sport that can be played by teams in certain events.

Light finally shines through!!! Hooray!!!! That's not exactly the song you were singing earlier.

I cannot have any more serious discussion with you. Its pretty obvious you are just spouting off because you believe you've found a "cause" and a few thoughts, never mind that each third thought contradicts or invalidates the other ones.

7. viver

viver Regular Member

And purist I shall remain! :eek:

I believe changes will be coming but maybe not fast enough for most people here. I think in China, more private badminton clubs are being setup and run by former national players. Maybe this will change the situation!? :confused: :(

8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I hold a purist's viewpoint in very high regard; I try to emulate that myself, but oftentimes get mired in the bylanes and sandtraps of parochial arguments. :(

More people playing badminton anywhere, in any conditions, is welcome with open arms!!! The CBSL is a great thing; other countries are also beginning to go in that direction. Hopefully it will ring in positive change, yes! :D If we can nudge it along, I for one am willing to do what it takes... :)

9. viver

viver Regular Member

I believe it will. Clubs (not national associations) with their own players development programs should make the difference. But it will take its time to get there!

10. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    This is the most hilarious-out-of-this-world opinion that does not hold water I've ever heard. First of all, do you even understand the title of this thread? Why suddenly LCW become your punching bag?

We at BC are focusing on the solution to put an end to this walkover/match fixing menace for the good of badminton fans in general, and not specifically pinpointing any player/country. It is when this problem is put to an end that no other player/country will practice this unsavory practice and the restores the image of the sport. Put back into its real meaning.

11. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    The title of the thread is "The Walkover & Withdrawal issue - rights and wrongs"..

I do not understand why you think LCW is my "punching bag"?

I do not think a chn-vs-chn a ina-vs-ina or a kor-vs-kor WO really isnt the matches that sells loads of tickets anyway.

If we are talking marketing problems for badminton, i think occasional WOs and injuries are a minor problem. The bigger picture is that prize money is puny (partly because the prizemoney, ticket sales, is divided across 5 separate tournaments, each event! ) and ranking points of olympics etc. are worth MORE than the prizemoney in tournaments for players/coanches.. This is the big picure and the real issue. If the tour becomes more indivdual and less Country/olympics oriented and more focused on tournament prizemoney with individual MS-tournaments. I doubt this would be an issue at all. If we get rid of the "teams" we will get rid of "team"-matches in individual events.

12. victory

victory Regular Member

Basket ball players and fans don't care about playing straight and sportsmanship?no my problem. Do I care? You have all the rights to talk about basket ball, just go to basket ball forum. We are talking about badminton over here.I don't watch basket ball. I don't know what are you talking about in your basket ball example and I don't care. I am a badminton fan. I care about sportsmanship in badminton. Thousand of us here at BC care about sportsmanship in badminton. Millions of badminton fans around the world care about sportsmanship in badminton. Why do you think the chinese team get booed when they stage fake matches and WO? Why do you think we voice our discontent over here at BC? We care about sportsmanship and we are trying to find a solution. So if you think badminton fans should care about sportsmanship and we should tolerate these sort of manipulation, you are dreaming. You are the one that is not living in the real world. Who are you trying to convince? You think you can argue a way out for the chinese team? So that we fans and BWF should accept constant WO and match fixing done by the chinese team?If you think the chinese team spit on sportsmanship is ok then I am afraid there is not the talk about here. You can stay where you are. We have our stand. Slowly but surely, I believe a better solution and enforcement will beimplemented.Oh yes, cobalt, thank you for creating this thread.

13. Aikachan

Aikachan Regular Member

Freelance editor/Aspiring writer (someday) :)
    Havent heard the news regarding suspicious walkovers which BWF promised to investigate and discuss....Wonder whats going on in their meeting room.

14. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

LD lost at DO.... Another proof LD avoiding CHN teammate. I got a feeling this time he himself did it on purpose knowing that in the next round the boss will tell him to loose anyway.

15. victory

victory Regular Member

Yes I agree on this one.

This time at lest they are more subtle. If he throws in another match against his teamate,I think they will booed like hell. The Chinese team knows that badminton fans around the world are "boiling".

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I really do not know who's really not there, you or me?

All I was trying to say (be it apple vs orange to you or not), is that we as fans, have different agenda and life / career priorities than the players and coaches. I am not trying to encourage anyone to "conserve", but rather saying, it's easy for us to point finger to the TV, and blame this and all that. If you are in the players' shoes, and think about your next 10 years or even longer career, you may think more or less differently.

I am not here trying to defend anyone, but rather showing a bit more understanding, and trying to figure out the "root cause" (may not be the only 1 cause, of course), rather than judging and making quick conclusions.

Anyway, like I posted in my 1st reply in this thread, this topic has been discussed maybe hundreds, if not thousands of times. We can whine, we can cry, we can surely boooo, but unless you come out with an effective way to enforce the rules, it's pretty much waste of time.

For you notes, I am watching the ESPN news. It reports that some NFL teams uses "injury reserve" rules to bank in some talents to avoid other teams claim them. You can say such attempt is "abusive" as well, as they on purposely to eliminate the possible talents opponents can ever acquire. However, find an "injury" from any pro athletes (badminton players included, of course) will be sooooooooooooooo easy. That's why even more well orginized leagues like NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL, etc can never really enforce any rules to investigate "injury reserve" ...

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Well, thief might be hmmmm... Or should I add "shamless"???

Thieves at least usually keeps his mouth shut and run away. I wonder how Anna can even open her mouth about "player's rights to pursue their own destiny", when she and many others lower ranking players took away other higher ranking players' life time dream away? Where is the rights for XXZ, XXF, CY, etc. Are their rights got stripped, simply because they were born in the "wrong" family?

My suggestion to her is, if you get the benefit from a rule at the cost of hurting others, enjoy your moment, and consider yourself lucky. There's no need to rob salt in others' wound... Or at least, use your brain to think twice, before saying something to slap your own face.

Sure sure, your guys can all educate me about "the rules say so", and point me as the "narrow mind", not "sharing", whatever....

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Surely you do not care about other organization. That's exactly why ppl here like you, never bother to learn from others experience.

I am not in the real world? Well last time I check, CHN is still dominating, and your guys are still whinning but not improving. Talking is cheap, and you can boooo everyone, if that ever brings in a trophy or something...

For the very last time, I will tell you a champion is made by years of training and hardwork, by a rather successful system, but NOT by a more enhanced rule book.

#278 LazyBuddy, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  19. victory

victory Regular Member

That is why I say BWF is toothless. They should take action years ago.

20. victory

victory Regular Member

This thread is not talking about who is dominating badminton.

Well, if the chinese team doesn't like getting the thumbs down, then just don't do the WO and fake matches. If they don't these kind of manipulation, nobody will booo the them.