Misbun quits as national singles coach

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by undeadshot, Jan 1, 2011.

1. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Ramdan doesn't seem to be training at all, hence his erratic performances. Never watched his son in action, but I don't think he has the calibre to be a top player anyway.

Misbun was strict, we have seen him shout and kick Chan Kwong Beng out of the training hall before for being lazy :eek: but those players did not improve much. I have doubts about his coaching ability at the 'roots' while he seems to be excellent in 'picking up' like what he did to Lee Chong Wei.

2. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    if you have never watch his son in action

how do you know he doesn't have the calibre?

did chan kwong beng, arif, liew darren or just anybody in that group

started from the grass root under misbun until today?

if not, aren't them the same as lee chong wei?

as i said in my earlier post what misbun has given to badminton few would understand.:eek:

3. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Nowadays many organisations like to have year end evaluations where you are given

a form to answer covering a list of things you should have achieved and you have to meet a certain minimum score to

gauge PERFORMANCE in your job.

All the criteria or benchmarks must meet minimum scores and add up to a respectable total. Scoring high in only certain

aspects and badly in others will not go down well. The person will be grilled and may feel really insulted.

I dont know if BAM performance criteria works like that but it seems to be getting quite common.It is very inhumane,does not really consider people's feelings and does not consider many important criteria but is still better than nothing to measure with at all.

Even in the business world some successful business executives are terminated abruptly with just a simple reason that

the company wants a change.

The only way to escape this trap is to continue to improve and develop skills so that the person can be more mobile

and can easily take his skills elsewhere anytime he likes without depending on lifetime employment.But once the person has

stopped learning he has been left behind and it may no longer be easy for him to find alternatives.

This situation is very common for eg.club football managers.

I am not saying this applies to BAM or Misbun, but nowadays management everywhere can be very cold, heartless and

ruthless.

Eventually one should aspire to be one's own boss and decide one's own future and performance to escape this trap.

4. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

To tell you the truth, Misbun and many others' dedication to the sport is already known to most people.

5. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    on the outside from the press news and googles, yes because a lot reads :D

from the inside there are only a few in bc :)

from your tone, i think you know more because of your experience in corporate world:D

just look at your last post :D

6. flite

flite Regular Member

I think BAM should take this matter in a direct and simple way which is to accept Misbun resignation. I still remember there were quite a number of members here especially Malaysian that wanted change in Malaysian badminton for betterment and I think we should start here.

Never mind what were actually the reasons behind MS resignations (only MS knows) and he himself couldn't give a reason solid enough that it could be of personal interest unfulfilled as speculated. Let the man go if the man wanted out.

Situation of this kinds always happen (taken to hostility) whenever there is a structural re-organisation and revamp that certain quarters are always unhappy with certain decisions made. But if the decision is deem fit and right by the authority, by all means stick with it come what may.

What happened to China when they lost Li Mao? What happened to Malaysia when we lost Li Mao too? Or should we reversed the question> what had we gained with the great Hendrawan instead? Its not about the coaches, its not about the players (not denying they make some differences though) but its all about the system, coaching regime, training methods, discipline instilled and last but not least implementation. Making sure all sticks to the plan by hook or by crook to produce results ultimately.

At the end of the day, TXH, LYB and LD has to go and China will remain as China. Simply because they got the system right that fine coaches and world beaters are just a matter of duplication to them.

So BAM should just let the man go, open up the eyes and learn from China eventhough we might slump for the time being. Come to think of it, Malaysian badminton today is already in a slump.

#26 flite, Jan 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  7. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Chong Wei not quitting yet

K.M. Boopathy
    boopathy@nst.com.my
    2011/01/03

LEE Chong Wei is staying though Misbun Sidek is going.
    But the World No 1 will stand by his mentor who quit as the national coach in a huff.

Chong Wei, who was told by Misbun on Thursday about his decision, said he prefers to focus on preparing for the Super Series tournaments without thinking about leaving the BA of Malaysia (BAM) stable.
    As speculations arose over Misbun’s move, it is believed that the BAM coaching and training committee’s decision to let Hendrawan coach Misbun’s son, Misbun Ramdan, is one of the causes.

Chong Wei, who said there could be other factors as well, hopes BAM will sort out the issue fast or else he might consider becoming a professional.

“I will stand by Misbun. Apart from the fact that Ramdan is no longer under him, my coach might not have been happy with the management,” said Chong Wei.
    “As of now, I will continue training with the national team as I don’t have any control over Misbun’s decision.
    “I know Misbun very well and he is not the type who reverses his decision.
    “I am used to training with him and I hope he will be in my corner during the Malaysia Open (Aug 18-24) even if he is no longer the national coach.”

BAM reshuffled the national team in September where Misbun was put in charge of additional players like Hafiz Hashim, Liew Daren, Chong Wei Feng and Tan Chun Seang besides guiding Chong Wei and Chan Kwong Beng.

But Misbun was disappointed that Ramdan ended up being pushed to the back-up squad under Hendrawan.
    Ramdan initially continued to train under Misbun who also requested that his son be allowed to train under him. But the BAM coaching and training committee stood firm.
    The committee met on Wednesday and there were no changes on Ramdan’s status. Misbun subsequently tendered his resignation

http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/ChongWeinotquittingyet/Article/art_print

8. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    misbun never state the reason for in his resignation letter,

he doesn't need to:D

the top people knows what they are and this is a long story a long time ago.

and yes, what he predicted has happen right in front of your eyes

as you said it, malaysian badminton is in a slump:D

time is running out, lcw is to retire next year

and misbun wants to do something for he always wants to find another lcw:)

btw, having lcw, kkk and tbh in our current squad, is a slump?

i doubt you know what you are talking about:eek:

#28 pBmMalaysia, Jan 2, 2011
  9. Zabee

Zabee Regular Member

Music Related
    is time bam revamped and stop teaching this & that to the coaches ..

10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    To Bbn #23

I don't think Misbun's overriding worry is his own security or position in history. I think he has come to realise the absolute futility of the situation.

A good company may desire change if it has enough reason and data to justify change, and has the relevant data and resources for the solution available as well. An incompetent management may want change just to cover up its own incompetence and to give the impression of doing something important and necessary. A corrupted organisation may want change to create an atmosphere of uncertainty, take advantage of the situation and institute a series of self-serving measures.

In 2 out of 3 cases, performance reviews are the "tools" to justify change for narrow and self-serving purposes. These tools create a curtain that often obscures the truth. As Disraeli said, "There are lies, damned lies, and statistics."

11. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Despite still having LCW and Koo/Tan, there's no replacement in sight for these players. Can MAS rely on players like Tan Chun Seang, Darren Liew, Chan Kwong Beng, Mak Hee Chun/Tan Wee Kiong for team events? From the AG results, apparently, these players are still not up to that level yet and thus the defeat to THA.

Not to mention, LCW is to retire probably after 2012.

12. flite

flite Regular Member

If only you broaden your views and step away from the keyhole would you understand what I am talking about. Is Malaysian badminton all about MS, LCW and KKK&TBH? They are just individuals.

Just a note, LCW is due to retire in 2012 and now is 2011. What would happen to BAM then? Talking about finding another LCW aren't rest solely on MS as that is impossible. What do you think?

13. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    what do i think? i still think the same.

what i have said you didn't get it maybe in a couple of days.lol

if you think changing coaches is like changing underwear, its fine with me:D

14. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    here are my personal view...

1)Misbun
    quit to retire from full time coach..time to spend more time with his wife(ill)...passion is one thing but family still come 1st...
    see how Tevez and u know why....what the point gaining all the achivement but time with family was dry...
    after so many year coach its time to slow down a bit ...working with BAM ppl is not fun...furthermore its also good for LCW coz there nothings more for misbun to teach..i must say lcw is lucky as he had learn all the knowledge under misbun....

2)LCW
    going cbl is good decision, quit on 2012 its now the time to earn a bit more $$ and picking up a much better sparring session to hang on for another 2 more years...
    maybe its good to pair up with li mao again to pick up the unfinish knowledge from him as li mao quit half way his contract...or other china coach ...i dont see any other good coach other than china coach who can be tie in to help lcw to beat super lin dan.... master tactic park joo bong is good but single maybe a diffirent ball game for him..
    lcw quit on 2012 is a good timing as retire at high level is a good aim and also its time for him to spend more time doing his biz in IT and car accessories biz which he had heavly invested...

3)BAM
    BAM seem affect some poison from FAM...
    sack all the BAM mgt staff and revive...who is good in talking but not really care with passion in baddy...

4)rashid
    move him to BAM mgt instead of coaching...time is up for his coaching world...

15. flite

flite Regular Member

Frankly speaking, I don't really understand what you are talking about! What would come out in a couple of days time has nothing to do here as from the beginning I always focused on the badminton association as a whole but you keep on divulging on MS and LCW.

Just look at the content of my post and where are we now? Talking about underwears....?

16. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I agree with most of the points in post #34.

Let the man go. Nobody is indispensable. Time to change, for better or worse, either way, the difference won't be much. It maybe a blessing for all you know. Some MAS supporters like to remain in their comfort zones and are afraid.

Please note that Misbun resigned, he was not sacked and he made his own decision and we must respect that.

17. eRa@에라

eRa@에라 Regular Member

Accountant
    Don’t let Misbun go, BAM

By RAJES PAUL

PETALING JAYA: World No. 1 Lee Chong Wei has no plan to part company with his coach and mentor Misbun Sidek.
    And he hopes that the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) will seriously look into Misbun’s resignation and coax him out of quitting as national coach.
    Misbun tendered his resignation on Dec 31 due to unhappiness over several decisions and remarks made by top officials in the BAM.
    Chong Wei said that he would choose to follow Misbun if he were left without a choice.
    “I am loyal to my coach. After all, he has been the man behind my rise as a successful player (over the last six years). I will follow him,” said Chong Wei.
    “I want Misbun to be on my side in my preparation for all the tournaments leading to the London Olympic Games next year.
    “My coach is frustrated right now and I respect his decision. He is unhappy over some matters. I hope the BAM will cooperate and resolve the issues and look into his grouses again.
    “It is not right to only blame the coach when things don’t go right. The BAM should be supportive in the good and bad times.”
    It is learnt that Misbun was unhappy over some of the changes made by the BAM training and coaching committee.
    The last straw was the committee’s decision last Thursday to reject his appeal to coach his son, Misbun Ramdan.
    Chong Wei said that several BAM officials showed a lack of appreciation.
    “For the last two years, I won many international titles but they were far from satisfied. They look at one or two defeats. They do not care too much about our feelings,” he said.
    “To them, winning many titles does not mean much. Some other players also feel unappreciated but they are not as brave as me to speak up.” The All-England champion said that he would wait for a BAM decision before making any conclusions on his future with the national team.
    “I would like to see my coach sitting behind me when I play in the Malaysian Open (Jan 18-23). I hope the BAM will work towards the good of the sport for the country.” Chong Wei leaves today for Taipeh with coach Teh Seu Bock to defend the Super Series Masters Finals title beginning tomorrow.
    In major tournaments, Chong Wei won the 100th edition of the All-England last year and he was the silver medallist at the 2008 Beijing Olympics and 2010 Guangzhou Asian Games.

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2011/1/3/sports/7725709&sec=sports

*** I respect MS decision, nevertheless, I still feel frustrated... haish! This BAM people really ....

#37 eRa@에라, Jan 2, 2011
  18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Hopefully LCW will be the catalyst for sensible action or change, where others have failed. I applaud him for taking a public stance of support of Misbun. That is what loyalty is about.

19. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    well said!

Indeed true, we need to built a system instead of relying on few individual.

Misbun dedication & Love for country & sports is undeniable but if he wants out, let him leave in Honour.

He did a great job...

20. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    He was never the problem. The problem will not go away so easily. But maybe a part of the solution has just walked away in disgust.