New Victor Racquet - The Meteor X80 ( MX80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sealman, Dec 19, 2010.

1. meteor

meteor Regular Member

Henry

Working on the forearm muscles and triceps could help.
    To unleash the power of mx80 you need a fast and short swing with powerful arm pronation - or what is referred to as "wrist power".
    There are lots of training exercises on the net (youtube), including exercises designed to help you recover from tennis and golfer elbow. In this forum I came across some great tips too. Sorry I don't have links :)

Have a look at Paul's armchair exercises, these are great because you can do them while getting fat on your armchair :):

http://badminton-coach.co.uk/128/armchair-exercises-to-improve-your-game-lesson-one-grip/

... and do some diggin :) Cheers!

2. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

My exercise involves 2 days of playing tennis :)

After doing this I found the 3u MX80 felt so much lighter than before and my TPro is now too light!

3. whenry

whenry Regular Member

@ meteor.

Guilty again, not did some searching first before asking questions. He he. Thanks anyway for your help.

I consider my self has more than average wrist power, judging by several types difficult drives shots I make, effortless back to back clear. I also exercise with 160g trainer racket and recently with Lee Jae Bok style which uses a head covered racket. Boy, Lee Jae Bok style is much harder than the trainer racket. May bee it is not enough training. I'll try to find specific training to lessen the tennis elbow problem.

I'm just curios if MX 80 is the caused of my elbow pain, because, I have no problems at all before with stiff rackets, such as BS10.

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

The MX seems to transfer more of the shock than the BS. I've had the same problem, used the BS10 and got the MX - and got shoulder problems. Imop it's a racket only suited to near-pro players with good physical levels, with exceptions of course....doesn't help that I really hate the feeling of a stiff racket with soft strings, so anything below 27lbs is unthinkable for me^^
    Anyhow, do some exercises for your upper arm, as the biceps&triceps stabilize the elbow. 3 sets once or twice a week should be enough (just curls for the biceps and dumbbell extensions for the triceps)...

5. SantaSCSI

SantaSCSI Regular Member

My first run with the mx80 gave me a sore shoulder and elbow due to the stiffness. 2 days later: no problem. Today i played 3 hours with the mx80 inclyding sone fierce smashing sessions and i feel no issues.

I guess its personal whether you get the elbow/shoulder and same for the duration thereof.
    Small detail, i train my arms a lot in the gym.

6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

You probably have the muscle to absorb the 'regular' shock/vibration the MX transfers, and needed some time to get the timing down correctly (in the beginning, you'll usually have much more vibration because more shots are mistimed/mishit slightly).

7. meteor

meteor Regular Member

At over 26lbs the shock is much worst... and there's ringing if you misshit.
    A very stiff shaft, stable head plus high tension means there's nothing to cusion the shock.
    The BS10 is not quite the same - not as head heavy, not the same head stability and the shaft is not as stiff... therefore gives less trouble.

8. KohKoh

KohKoh Regular Member

MX80 is my favourite racket. It's the best one ive ever tried.

9. matsu_des

matsu_des Regular Member

Student
    Have you tried it with nanogy98 yet? IMO it's a match made in heaven.
    But gotta have it at a high tension (above 28lbs), like as someone mentioned,
    low tension on a stiff racket feels a bit funky. I'd like to try the 66UM some day
    but hear poor things about the durability. nbg98's durability and tension holding
    is excellent. Haven't snapped a set yet.

10. KohKoh

KohKoh Regular Member

I agree, nbg98 is best match with mx80. No doubt. But i like it at low tension like about 26lbs so it can lower and stay at 24lbs. Then I can smash up to 270~280kph. :/ with 28 i can only get up to 260~270. I wana be pro and smash an average 280kph with a 30lbs string tension. (My goal for the future) Based on control its rlygood. I dunno why ppl say its too slippery... They just have bad control.

11. whenry

whenry Regular Member

you are right meteor. Recently, I bought MX 60, it is a good racket. but somehow I miss something from MX 80. I'm curios how about MX 70 compared to 80. Is it the 70 going to give you the same elbow problem? How is the handling of 70?

12. visor

visor Regular Member

I've gone from mx80 to 70, only because of getting some shoulder pains. Now with mx70 I get more effortless power clearing and smashing, at the expense of a slight drop in immediacy and accuracy. I can imagine that the mx60 will only be a step further in that direction.

13. whenry

whenry Regular Member

@ visor
    My feeling is that MX 60 is slower than 80, but more powerful. After 2 or 3 sets with 30 points double (yes we play doubles with 30 points classic score counting here in surabaya, indonesia), I feel the MX 60 getting heavy and heavier. I don't have that heavier feeling with MX 80, but only elbow pain when I get shower. Usually, the elbow pain will be gone the day after, but the last couple of months, it stayed.
    I want a fast racket but no pain LOL, please don't tell me to get BS 10. I got it already. Owning MX 80 and 60, I feel the BS 10 is just another regular racket.

14. meteor

meteor Regular Member

I don't know how mx60 is but 70 is a good compromise for someone who likes the mx80 but gets joint problems.
    Still a stiff racket and very capable. It doesn't have the harshness of mx80 and feels more effortless.
    The downside is that it introduces some lag when it comes to reacting fast or in fast exchanges and it doesn't have the precision you would be used with on the mx80.
    Contrary to my initial impression, mx70 can smash as hard as the 80. I think I was mis-timing in the beginning and my smashes felt weakish...
    KohKoh, I don't know about 280km/h... :))) ...how did you measure that? Did you count how long it takes the shuttle to reach a certain distance? :) Perhaps most people have a curiosity to know how fast they smash and how it compares to the pros... From what I read, most of us (non pros or aspiring pros) are a long way away from 200kmph... on the low side... :)

@KohKoh and matsu_des: I had nbgy98 at 26lbs only briefly before changing to bg80 (which snapped almost immediately). To be honest I didn't have time to test nbgy98 properly. I remember reading no so good things about it on the forum and decided to restring with bg80.
    Now I have bg66UM on both mx70 and one of the 80 and I can't think that something can be better :)

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Seriously? 270-280? How did you measure that?
    Anyhow, the NBG98 IS slippery. That's why people say that. It does not have the rough surface of other strings like the BG80, so it does not offer the same touch at the net as the cork slips over it more easily. Especially annoying on net shots, from the back it's not hard to adapt.

16. KohKoh

KohKoh Regular Member

In clubs they often measure smash speeds. And yes the NBG98 is slippery but not enough to choose a different string. NBG98 has excellent amount of power, a good amount of control, really good durability for such a thin string, and really good feel when you hit the sweet spot. There is nothing to whine about the NBG98's control. I can make perfect dropshots with them.

17. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

The same way Zhang Jun reached 500KM/h :D ;)

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

It's not about dropshots, it's about the slices and tumbling net shots. Both of those need a little traction, which the NBG98 just does not offer - so the angle on sliced dropshots needs to be changed and they feel rather weird at first (nothing I had any problems with, though). The loss of traction can be quite a problem on net shots though. Although you seem to be a doubles player, and a back court one at that, so maybe that doesn't concern you as much. Most singles players are rather irritated with the string though and prefer something with a rough surface which makes net shots much more controlled.

19. matsu_des

matsu_des Regular Member

Student
    With the nbg98, you gotta have it at a high tension. My bs12 is strung at 27lbs but feels too bouncy. My MX80 is strung at 30lbs and feels extremely crispy. Very nice sound, control and power. In terms of slipperiness at the net, i haven't really noticed it as I am normally of a rear-court player. I will try it at the front or in singles next time and see what all the fuss is about.

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

My BS09 is just fine with 27lbs :D However, that's with the new motor. Before that, I usually had 28lbs. Still, I could probably play it with 26 or even 25 as well, as it's a thin string and holds the tension reasonably well.