New Victor Racquet - The Meteor X80 ( MX80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sealman, Dec 19, 2010.

1. KohKoh

KohKoh Regular Member

I am a doubles player. Zzzz and I find the slices not bad. Although it doesn't go too far so I have to slice as hard as I can to make it go past the net. Lol. But for doubles this is best string. And for singles bg80 is better

2. matsu_des

matsu_des Regular Member

Student
    Yeh totally agree, I use nbg98 on my MX80 for smashing in doubles but bg80 on my SW35 for singles.
    Easy transition between the 2.

3. KohKoh

KohKoh Regular Member

MX80 with a towel grip (not over the replacement grip) feels excellent! I use the Hi-Qua Towel grip. I think it is better than Yonex towel grips :)

4. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    How do you find your net shot performance while switching back & forth NBG 98 & BG80?

I have some difficulties while switching between BG85 & BG80 on the net shot only. I feel that BG85 is just too bouncy, while BG80 is just so perfect at net shot & make me feel somehow at a certain point my net shot is like Taufik Hidayat's :D :p :D
    Just Joking.

5. matsu_des

matsu_des Regular Member

Student
    Of course the bg80's feels better at the net because of the rougher surface, but although the NBG98 feels slipperier, it is only noticeable if you really chop at the shuttle or stab at it during net-play.
    But the thing is, you don't usually do that because although the shuttle may spin like crazy, chances are, it will bounce way too high.

If you just play net-shots normally and use precision deft touches, then the performance does not differ much between the 2 strings because you are not chopping the shuttle hard enough to make it slip as you don't need to at the net.

I haven't tried bg85 in a long time. But from what i remember of it, the feel when clearing and smashing was superb. Don't remember much about the net-shots. But i remember that the strings felt springier than the hard-feeling bg80's.

6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Although you do have a valid point (there's no problem switching between the two as long as you don't want to play spinning/tumbling net shots), most singles players here play quite a few tumbling net shots as they're much harder to lift than a 'clean' one. Of course it depends on the situation if it's the best choice of shot, sometimes the clean net shot is indeed better. But in some situations (e.g. return of serve in doubles), the spinning variant is just so much better as the opponent has to let it drop further and can't play a controlled push to the midcourt/back court.

7. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    As far as i have experienced, BG85 string will bounce higher when we make tumbling net shot, where BG80 would be just nice. However, i guess with a lot of training & getting used to BG85, it will also do the work good enough.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    back a few weeks i was debating whether i should get a MX70 to pair with my current one or to get a MX80 to replace my broken one. well i am glad i did the latter. the feeling of the MX80 is unparalleled. i strung it up with Victor pattern ZM62N@ 28/30lbs and this is by far the best combo i have used. the feel, power, balance, sound, everything is perfect for me. the bad part is now i am so in love with it again i have to buy it a mate.

9. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Man, you're going to HATE the TSF500.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    why???????????????

11. whenry

whenry Regular Member

For those who have elbow pain with MX 80, do you have the same problem with MX 70?

12. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    It's like the anti-MX80 - mid-stiff in every way, doesn't smash your rotator cuff everytime you play with it, etc etc. Everything the MX80 isn't, basically.

13. shaz`

shaz` Regular Member

Kwun I agree with your love for the MX-80. Mine, unfortunately need restrung now, one with broken BG66, and one with BG66 which has a lost a lot of tension.

I went back to my Nanospeed 8000 last night briefly, but quickly reverted back to the MX80 with slack string as the power and feel I still get out of it is second to none!

Thinking of upping my tension to 30. How does yours feel kwun? I'll be using BG66UM.

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    for zm62. it matches the stiffness of the mx80 really well at 28/30. not sure about the bg66um.(replying the msg while riding the Shanghai metro! ;) )

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    for zm62. it matches the stiffness of the mx80 really well at 28/30. not sure about the bg66um.(replying the msg while riding the Shanghai metro! ;) ) hehe.

16. shaz`

shaz` Regular Member

I also have some Victor VS-850 if that would suit better. Hmm I'm not sure now!

17. shaz`

shaz` Regular Member

Ah nice, what you doing in Shanghai, holidaying?

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    business trip. just came back from meeting a friend for dinner. he is my high school badminton teammate, lives in Vancouver, who also happen to be in shanghai for business trip!

19. shaz`

shaz` Regular Member

Wicked!

What are your thoughts of VS850 on MX80. Have you tried this combo?

20. biggybil

biggybil Regular Member

badminton
    well i just want to join in a give my 2 cents,

I have recently made the move and got myself 2 MX-80 since it was on sale, this is a personal review and nothing more.

I have always been a yonex player ever since my first Carbonex 8... I have played with all the top end rackets from yonex for the past years to the present with the very latest VTZF.

Here are the Spec

first racket:
    3UG2
    String BG80Power 30lbs/33lbs regular pattern 4knot (for testing purpose)

Second racket:
    3UG2
    String MBG98 30lbs/33lbs Haribito pattern (for testing purpose

I have had about 3 hours+ with each racket and here is what i think of it.
    During warmup i could feel the stiffness of the shaft and the lightness of the head although it is rated head heavy. I am a heavy hitter always been playing with head heavy rackets so to me this racket kinda feel head light.

Drive:
    crisp and really fast(due to lightness of the head feel) and easy to generate the power(due to the stiffness of the shaft).

Drops/slice:
    Completely got me off guard, my timing was all off way off I was framing the racket for about 5 10 shots. I realized that i was swinging way faster then with other rackets. But once dialed in i loved it, I was able to hold my stroke a bit longer to hide my shot.

Clear/push clear:
    I had some timing issue here again but once dialed in it was *OK* not the greatest I had to put a bit more effort to compare to my VTZF my guess is prob due to the head being lighter.

Smash:
    This is where i really like this racket the speed i was able to generate with the racket once my timing is on spot is incredible, and the 80 hole pattern making the string bed tighter is amazing. I was able to go full blown smashes for about 5 min without feeling the racket eating my arm up like the VTZF.

Net:
    fast and easy to control the racket i mean.

Conclusion:
    For first impression it did leave a mark for me to keep picking it up and play with it again, I have only put 3 hours in them so it hard to be definitive about it. But so far it is doing what I expected it to. I did compare 2 different string and pattern but its was only for me to try out and this thread is not the right one to write a review on string and pattern. But in a few words NBG98 did give me more humphhh!!! and the BG80 more control.

I will be cutting the BG80P and restring it with NG98(Victor pattern) since its the only string i seem to like since it came out. And will write more if i find anything different in the racket.