Do you prefer isometric or oval head rackets?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by ttktom, Sep 29, 2003.

?

do you prefer Isometric or Oval?

1. Isometric

9 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. Oval

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. indrato

indrato Regular Member

I am using both iso and oval. i use cab 21 and agreed that it has smaller sweetspot than my iso racket. 2 weeks ago i bought proace racket, the model is stroke 317. I was surprised that it has perhaps the same sweet spot as iso racket. The racket is very easy to use, my shot is still very good even though it was hit far from the center area.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    nope, never use or heard of it before, is it effortless too??

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    But you haven't answered whether you use flying clamps. If you do how do you use them? Yes, my method is quite effortless and it can use even cheapy flying clamps to give performance of a good fixed clamp (not fixed swivel clamp).

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Grasshopper, your question to me is like asking bruce lee, what fighting style does he use?:rolleyes: Let me remind you that u have been going off topic since post #454.

#464 cooler, Apr 5, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  5. ijnek

ijnek Regular Member

engineer
    started off donkey yrs ago with yonex blacken(oval)

switch to wilson ncode n6(iso) and now using yonex carbonex21 special(oval)

i like oval better...

6. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

prefer ISO rather than oval.

7. SaberTooth

SaberTooth Regular Member

Jobless
    i did, ISO > Oval > ISO, i dont think i'll ever go back to ovals.. i just couldnt seem to gain rhythm with ovals, missed some easier shots and didnt really like the feel of oval(although i only used one racquet so the feel might have been the racquet)

8. disney

disney Regular Member

I used oval lg tm ago wen im around primary sch..the shutle wont go or nt to the direction that i expected everytm mishit or hiting out side the sweet spot..i tot i was not suitable 4 badminton at that tm..after the iso frame cum out..i fl totally diff plying with it..is lik every shot goes even hiting with the frame..im able to kill with a smash hiting the frame..at 1st i love i love iso..bt right now im using oval during pratice everytime..bt will use iso 4 games and matches..
    this is due to the oval sweet spot is smaller..so is needed to hit accurately in order to generate powerfull shot..addition the oval racket is usually 1 inch shooter then iso frame racket..so is gd for single player to train with it..den wen using iso racket in real game..u will b mr easier and accurate to hit the iso frame sweet spot..

9. MetalOrange

MetalOrange Regular Member

Oval or Iso?

Oval on all STIFF racquets.

Iso on MEDIUM and EXTRA STIFF racquets.

Grab those sticks and recalibrate the way you rate the Oval or Iso thing.

I think the compromise is/are now coming in (gradually...Mizuno TC and YY Arc ZS) in OVAL-ISO or ISOVAL.

Remeber I said it first, ISOVAL!

Peace!

10. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I've got a question regarding ovals that I didn't think regarded a thread of its own. The answer is probably really simple.

Why is it that Yonex recommend lower tensions for their oval frames that for their isos? The Aerotus 100 (oval) 2U version has a recommended tension range of only 18-20Lbs; is it really that fragile? The Carbonex 35 (oval) 2U has a recommended tension range of 19-24Lbs and the Arcsaber 10 (iso) 2U has a recommended tension range of 20-25Lbs. The Cab35 is close to the Arc10 in terms of recommended tension but not quite there. I suppose the question I'm asking is can you string ovals to tensions as high as you can isos? Also, why is it that the recommended tension range for the AR-100 is so low? If anyone has the AR-100, I'd like to ask what the highest tension they have strung it at is.

I'm sure these questions have been answered before but a search didn't reveal much (I probably just didn't search for the right thing). Thanks for your time.

11. MetalOrange

Danstevens,

I have incrementally strung my yy cab 20 & 21 from 20/22 up to 25/27 with bg66 and it held up well. I did this type of setup for quite sometime.

Recently, I had it strung (anyway) at 28/30 against its modestly low string tension recommendation, so far, there is no problem whatsoever (I play singles). Probably my stringer did a good job BUT I have also known people who strungs it at 28/30. However, unlike me, I only have one of each Cab 20 and 21 (so, if it gives, there goes my classics!), but most people who do this have at least 2-3 of each Cab 20 & 21.

Maybe you want to try it on one of those non classic OVALS? So, it wont hurt if it caves in?

Furthermore, a modest 10% over the max recommended string tension doesn't really do damage to the racquet. Oh, by the way I have my eyes set on Cab 35 too and would definitely be inclined to string it at 26/28 to 28/30! I suppose newer manufacturing process should make it much more ROBUST!

MetalOrange

#471 MetalOrange, Sep 27, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  12. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for that. I know Yonex's recommended tension ranges are conservative and their rackets can generally go a lot higher than they state but the really low tensions on the ovals put a little bit of doubt in my mind. The Cab35 looks awesome, I just don't know if I could justify spending 19,000 Yen on one and then if it was to become my main racket, I'd need multiple Cab35s and that certainly wouldn't work out cheap. I'm certainly keen on the idea of getting one though.

13. MetalOrange

DanStevens,

Just do it man, get one Cab 35 and try 26/28 (just under 10% over the max recommendation @24) but I wouldn't use the much tougher strings like 68ti or 65ti's when going over, specially way over! Plain bg66 should be just right. Besides, it'll snap before it deforms the racket (in my experience but not with the Ti strings). I don't know why but despite "some" forumers stringing at 30/32 and above, I myself somehow feels that the unofficial or unwritten rule for best results in terms of playability and durability lies at 28/30.

MetalOrange

14. dorysan

dorysan Regular Member

dont care .
    if its playing good its fine for me

15. gorkiyang

gorkiyang Regular Member

Student
    started wit oval. cant really recognise the differences

16. Pulish

Pulish Regular Member

Theocrat
    Isometric today and tomorrow. Need to go with the modern and leave the past. A sign of development and positivism!

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    AOTBE, oval will have better playability. Say if the widest length and width of the racquet frame are the same, the cross-section of the frame are the same with the same shaft dimensions, then oval is better. This is due to oval's ability to distort less than an iso shape with power shots. The difference is i a way similar to the difference between two identical racquets of any shape but with one using carbon graphite and the other uhmg.

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

playability is subjective.
    what u described is less racket distortion which u didnt translate that into what kind of performance improvement. U only talk about material mechanics, not helpful to a layman. I say this translates to better shot accuracy but that's a so minor improvement over iso because frame integrity is more dictated by bottom half than the shape difference at the top half of the racket.
    To most players, a bigger sweet spot is better playability, better in returning smashes because it is more forgiving if i mishit. Accuracy is not important when u just want to survive the smashing bombs or piercing rapid drives from your opponent.:rolleyes: We are not like lin dan that has so much time to hit the shuttle.:rolleyes:

of course there is cab explosion but that is another issue

19. CSiang

CSiang Regular Member

Student
    Oval ba...feeling the power is more concentrated and enable me for power shot...lol

20. MoNsTaR

MoNsTaR Regular Member

technician
    After using oval shape racket all the while and now I started using iso... Feel like something is missing when I am using iso... Oval racket kinda give me the more concentrated power feeling kinda... Just my 2cent worth