Nguyễn Tiến Minh - Vietnam's Hottest!

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Loh, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Zabee

Zabee Regular Member

Music Related
    mucho gracias....:):)

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Indomitable spirit nets high returns

Thanh Nien News
    18 July, 2009,

By Nhut Quang

Vietnam’s badminton ace, currently ranked 14th in the world, plans to be among the world’s top 10 by the end of the year.

Nguyen Tien Minh is already a household name in the country.

Virtually everyone knows he is the nation’s number one badminton player and that he beat the world’s number one player recently.

Although he has single-handedly put Vietnam on the world badminton map, the 26-year-old Minh has not had time to rest on his laurels as he pursues a top ten ranking.

Currently ranked a very impressive 14th in the world Minh won his first championship abroad at the Satellite Malaysia 2004 when he was 21 years old and ranked 130th. He beat Malaysian Lee Tsuen Seng 2-1 (15/11, 9/15, 15/12) in the final.

Minh took to the sport when he was just 10 years old, and since then has been consistently improving in leaps and bounds. In 2006, Minh said, “I spend 70 percent of my daily time playing badminton.” Now, he says he spends 90 percent of his time training.

While he gets nowhere near the facilities that other top world players enjoy, Minh has received a lot of support from agencies and businesses, not to mention his parents, who are businesspeople.

His father Nguyen Van Thuc said, “We can’t count the money we have spent on him. Each time we register for him on our own to play abroad, the cost is more than VND20 million (US$1,100).

Ho Chi Minh City Badminton Federation (HBF) President Le Dang Xu said, “Minh is a very passionate player and he is very modest. He always wants to improve himself. That’s why he has been able to climb up the world rankings so fast.” In mid 2007, he was ranked 56th and in less than a year later he climbed to 39.

HBF’s former vice president Huynh Ngoc Lien said, “Minh is very professional. He never lets failures defeat him.”

His high spirits have clearly helped a lot. After he was beaten by the then world number two Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia at the Southeast Asian Games in the Philippines in 2005, Minh only worked harder.

Over the last couple of years, Minh has beaten several of the world’s top 10 players. He surprised the badminton world last month by beating World number one Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia by two games to one at the Singapore Super Series semifinals. (I think it is in the quarter finals.;))

But, he adds, “I was extremely happy after the win over Lee, so I didn’t have time to recover and lost to China’s Bao Chunlai.”

About his loss to Hu Yun of China in the Philippines Open quarterfinals earlier this month, Minh said, “I was overconfident.”

The money trickles in.

Minh has made $16,380 from local and international competitions since last September. Now, as a high-ranked player, Minh can now be put in the finals (I think what he meant is the main draw)at big competitions without having to play in the qualifiers and he can get bigger prize money.

Upcoming tournaments include the Thailand Open from July 21-26, the World Championships in India from August 10-16, Grand Prix in Taiwan from August 25-30, and the Super Series in Denmark from October 20-25.

Minh said if he plays well at these competitions, he will not only be among the world’s top 10 but also get at least $10,000 in cash prizes. If he can do it, he will be able to earn around $20,000 a year.

In April, Minh received a sponsorship of VND20 million a month for a year from Becamex Company in southern Binh Duong Province.

A month later, Taiwan-based Victor Badminton Racket Corporation agreed to a four-year sponsorship deal worth US$96,000.

Construction Joint Stock Company No. 1 will pay VND10 million ($562) a month from this month till the end of the year, according to HCMC Badminton Federation.

Minh says his clothing still has three positions [shirt collar, belly and shorts] to put an ad on. He now wants to have a representative when he plays abroad. He says it would be good to have someone who can take care of formalities and is good at the sport too so he can train with him and gives him good advice while he is playing. Minh says he really needs a good coach who can help him improve more.

He says he also needs a doctor who can take good care of him. “Most players have doctors who massage them, give them drinks that can help them recover very soon while I can only drink pure water and Vitamin C.” (Probably Minh has been influenced by the THA team, hahaha.) :D

If he can get the support he is looking for, Minh will have a much better chance of realizing his goals and conquering new heights in his professional career.

#142 Loh, Jul 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  3. PinkyPG

PinkyPG Regular Member

student
    thank u for those information...

4. latech

latech Regular Member

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Minh takes Thailand Grand Prix badminton competition

Vietnam News
    27/07/2009

VietNamNet Bridge – Top badminton player Nguyen Tien Minh won his first international title of the year, beating host rival Boonsak Ponsana 21-16, 21-13 in the men's singles final of the SCG Thailand Grand Prix Gold yesterday, July 26.

Minh, the tournament second seed, took only 37 minutes to beat the third seed Ponsana.

Olympian Minh beat three Thai players and one South Korean to win his first title of the year after missing the Aviva Singapore Super Series, Drajum Indonesia Super Series and Bingo Bonanza Philippines Grand Prix Gold.

Minh also beat host rival Pakkawat Vilailak 21-18, 21-11 in the semi-final on Saturday and Thai Tanongsak Saensomboonsuk in the quarter-final on Friday.

Last month, the HCM City-born athlete, who ranks 14th in the world, shocked world No 1 Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia 24-22, 20-22, 21-19 in the second round of the Aviva Singapore Super Series.

Minh, 24, who became the first Vietnamese Olympian badminton player at the Beijing Games last year, has secured three sponsorship contracts in the past two months.

Becamex Binh Duong Company, which owns the Binh Duong football team, has agreed to sponsor him with VND20 million (US$1,100) a month for one year.

HCM City-based Victor sportswear company signed a four-year sponsorship deal with Minh, providing him with $2,000 a month. The firm also agreed to cover Minh's fees for three Asian tournaments each year. HCM City Construction Company No 1 chipped in with $555 a month.

The $120,000 Thailand Grand Prix is the third season of Badminton World Federation's Grand Prix Gold and Grand Prix with 13 tournaments contested.

Attached picture shows Minh's eyes on the birdie:
    Top badminton player Nguyen Tien Minh shows off the form that beat host rival Boonsak Ponsana to take the men's singles final in the SCG Thailand Grand Prix Gold on July 26.

Attached Files:

6. swwet_love

swwet_love Regular Member

student
    Congratulation again to NTM... we proud of u

7. Zabee

Zabee Regular Member

Music Related
    look out for him in WC .,.. could be a spoiler too many players..

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    That's why LCW may be stopped by the referee in Round 3! :eek:

9. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    I wonder if NTM get to keep the prize money...

10. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    According to the Victor website, NTM wrote to Victor to thank his sponsors.

Source: http://www.victorsport.com.cn

泰国赛阮天明夺冠 赛后向VICTOR表示感谢
    2009-7-27 在昨天刚刚结束的泰国黄金赛中,VICTOR签约选手阮天明战胜东道主选手波萨那夺得男单冠军,这也是他自6月换装VICTOR后取得的第一个公开赛冠军。赛后,阮天明第一时间向VICTOR发来的感谢信,对VICTOR为他提供的优异装备和各方面的支持表示了感谢,感谢信全文如下:

Dear Victor Company,
    Today is a very happy day for me, having won the final of the SCG Thailand Open 2009. I hope the company has been following the event and received this great news. As the joy of the victory is sinking in, I would like to express my sincere appreciation towards the company. Thank you for your wonderful equipments and great support.

(译文)
    亲爱的VICTOR公司的朋友们,
    今天我非常高兴,我取得了2009年泰国公开赛男单项目的冠军。相信公司里那些追踪赛事情况的朋友已经知道了吧?借此机会,我想对公司表达诚挚的感谢,感谢你们一直以来给我的大力支持和性能优良的装备。

11. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    If you didn't watch the 2009 Thailand Open MS Final, you must :)

The first game is a real edge-of-the-seat thriller.
    Although it is one of Boonsak's finest attempts yet, Nguyen Tien Minh steals it.

Incredible retrieving, incredible grit and incredible staying power!

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Oldhand, please, please don't let the cat out of the bag. You may frighten the likes of X Ball and other LCW die-hard fans! :eek::D:D:D

13. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

They can't be frightened any more than they already are :D

14. markchan

markchan Regular Member

What's there to be frightened? :confused:.I don't think NTM is at LCW's level yet. After he has won a SS title, then maybe we can talk.
    LCW will not lose to NTM again in such a short time. He would definitely have done his homework on NTM's game. I still feel that LCW will square off with LD in the SFs.:cool:

15. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

The unexpected is always frightening. Tien Minh's game has always been of the unpredictable variety... and that's what scares the leaders on the circuit.

I don't know if you watched the 2009 Thailand Open MS Final but Boonsak was taken apart by a less-skilled but more-determined Tien Minh.

The big names better watch out :p

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I'm sure LCW has learnt his lesson not to underestimate a seemingly 'lower ranked' player and may have spent some time watching recordings of his match against NTM to see where he has gone wrong. Because he knows that he has to face the same mountain of a problem should he reach Round Three at the WC. :eek:

The problem is how do you destroy a man whose sole ambition is to try to retrieve every seemingly unretrievable shot that his opponent throws at him whatever the outcome. And he has the fitness, stamina and extraordinary determination to repeat this several times in a match. ;)

This 'invisible quality' can't be extinguished with a powerful smash nor an excellent overhead clear to the baseline, for every such shot will probably find its way back at you. So you really get scared and tell yourself whether you are up against a mortal man or machine. Before long, unconsciously you let this machine wear you down, despite the fact that machines should be the ones to suffer wear and tear over time, and the psychological advantage you had as WR1 and top seed from the start will slowly be dismantled by this man who hails from a country which has never been known to be a badminton powerhouse in Southeast Asia! :eek:

Worse still, your focus has been almost entirely 'mis'directed at another man from the best badminton nation and you went to great extents to get help on how to defeat him should both of you meet in the SF. You even openly seek the advice of a former coach, who abruptly terminated his services some two years or so ago and now coaching another rival world champion prospect, an unprecedented arrangement in the competitive badminton environment at such a high level! :D

How not to be scared when NTM can quite subtly repeat his giant-killing action in the badminton court at Gachibowli, (wonder the name has anything to do with lawn bowl :rolleyes:) Hyderabad? NTM is an assiduous student and must have done his homework thoroughly too! :D

This will be the match of the day before the QF! :) Frightening prospect for the top seed.

#156 Loh, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  17. hadokenuh

hadokenuh Regular Member

Yeah. I strongly believe that NTM is going to put up a really good fight against LCW. I like LCW too, but I have to support NTM because I am a Vietnamese :)

It's really a hard match this time for NTM because there will be no surprise factor. LCW will be as tough as he always has been.

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Just my 3 sens-IMO...

- I concur LCW is probably a level better than NTM.
    - I do concur that NTM's 2 main advantages are his never-say-die/hard work attitude and his "nothing to lose" position.
    - Regarding LCW's loss to NTM in the recent S'pore Open, LCW did mention/admit, prior to the S'pore Open, that he wasn't prepared for the S'pore Open, didn't he??..
    - I concur that LCW's possible achilles heel to his scheduled meeting with LD, in the QF Rd, is if he overlooks NTM. LCW has to stay focused 1 match, 1 game & 1 pt at a time.
    - Will NTM put up a really good fight against LCW?? Depends how prepared LCW is. He controls his destiny. If he is very well prepared & focused, it could be a straight games victory for LCW. Thus all of this hype talk or chat abt LCW going to be in trouble when he meets NTM will be for naught.
    - I echo that LCW should be ready to face NTM, should they meet, this time around.

#158 ctjcad, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  19. OhLala

OhLala Regular Member

Sales
    Now Tien Minh has moved to no. 9 in the ranking, his highest position ever. Congrats Minh. He's the pride of Vietnam. Hoping to see him beat more top 10 players and win more tournaments.

20. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

whatever it is, i personally didnt think LCW actually underestimate his so called lower ranked player. it's just not his day plus i have to salute to NTM's style of play..its unbelivable and very special..this can be seen during the thailand open final vs boonsak. anyway, this time im sure chong wei is fully ready and geared up for this wc. i mean every opponent he's gonna face including NTM or LD;)
    anyway, let's just wait and see what will be final outcome of this match when this 2 player meet again.