stronger legs (thighs, calves, hamstrings etc)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by giant_q_tip, Jul 26, 2009.

1. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Ahhh I always used to hate that one soooo much! For some reason the girls at our training always used to beat the boys by miles.

I do just about all my exercises while watching TV ;).

2. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

3. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Yeah , wall sits are a killer . Heong - whats the longest you have ever done?

Pharinx , when you said heel raises and glute raises , what exactly are the glute raises?

I know heel raises develop your calf muscles , and glute raises develop your glutes (obviously) but could you explain glute raises?

4. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Well I understand the glute ham raise to be -

Kneeling on the ground, body straight up (like an L). You need someone to help hold your feet on the ground (or something heavy that will not allow your feet to move). Keeping your upper legs and body relatively straight, slowly tilt forward and keep going forward toward the floor until you can't hold it anymore. When that happens, put your arms out in front of you so that you don't crash face first into the floor :).

I only just started this week, so my hamstrings are really weak! I don't go too far forward before I have to let go. I think the "raise" part is going back up. Apparently if you're really good you can pull yourself back up with your legs, but since you definitely can't do that when you start out, give yourself a push with your arms back up most of the way and slowly back into your starting position.

Might be a good idea to google it, the photos help!

5. Heong

Heong Regular Member

Yea it is, i'd literally collapse on the floor when my coach times me about 3mins. Still trying to improve on muscles. ><

I guess 3mins, i'll need to increase that substantually but i'll keep it there til' i get better. :p

6. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Well to be honest 3 minutes is actually good Heong.

Thanks for the detailed explanation pharnyx , I will try and implement them in my training schedule :).

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Forced to train in a different gym on Weds as my usual one was closed while the staff bonded (i.e. went paintballing), so I had my first go of a hack squat machine for several years, and the result was incredible - EVERY inch of the thigh was set on fire even with no plates on the sledge. I am now going to this other gym solely for legs (and cycling home:D).

If you only use ONE thigh machine, the hack squat should be it - put your feet as far forward on the tray as possible to get FULL knee flexion. I don't know how to describe hte sensation after 6 sets of this, but it felt like my legs were going to be sick (if that makes sense).

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

9. dorysan

dorysan Regular Member

jump with skipping rope!
    best thing ever.

10. krisss

krisss Regular Member

#50 krisss, Aug 24, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  11. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Clearly I've got a long way to go. I tried a wall sit just now to see where I'm at and I only managed 3 minutes. I'm not very tolerable of extreme pain ;).

12. krisss

krisss Regular Member

To get through it , I usually get a song approximateley the time I want to do. I also I imagine I play a match , just rallies and winning them.

To be honest it is all about mind power when doing wall sits , I always think to myself you can do 10 seconds more , can't you? Then again , that 10 seconds more will help a lot , you can do it?

13. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

u need to train every little muscle in your lower leg if u dont want injuries(stress injuries)badminton is heavy on your ankles,so calf raises with different feet positionings and also shin raises. and jumping squats are the key to increasing leg explosive energy and holding squats to increase stamina

14. porroy

porroy Regular Member

technical
    right now im improving my stamina, i regularly play badminton, if schedule permits i also visit the gym, at the same instance i do some plyomerics as well for at least once a week... increasing body endurance really helps my level of play in badminton and my metabolism....
    i envy those people who has stayed in their routine for a long time.... i wish i also had a lot of time to spend in the gym... cheers!