Yonex Nanogy 99 string ( NBG99 )

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by ssgg007, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Jernan

Jernan Regular Member

Hahas true! There's always both sides of the coin!

2. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Thanks goodness it is cheap to string it in my country

3. davinci..

davinci.. Regular Member

Could you share where you have found the nanogy 99 strings in Toronto? I havent been able to find them here, at this point im about to buy them on ebay and have them shipped over seas. I'd really like to try the 99's if i could find them.

4. Limited328

Limited328 Regular Member

I bought them from MBS (mybadmintonstore). I bought a pack of ten. It came to about $8 per pack, if you need a pack, I'll gladly sell a pack to you to try.

5. yeo_melaka

yeo_melaka Regular Member

Good info, next time i'll try it higher than normal lbs.

Been using NBG99 for 6 mths @ 2hrs/week @ 26lbs. Very lasting. Looks like can last another few months. hahaha

6. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

Yes, NBG 99, probably due to its thickness, is quite durable.

Nevertheless, after using it for 4 months, its feeling and control has been reduced a lot

I finally cut the string, and restring it with fresh NBG 99 :D

Note = I am using JP code, and not SP code.

IMHO

7. maxp74

maxp74 Regular Member

Architect
    I have done a head to head test between NBG99 and BG80 Power for the last month. I skipped the NBG95 since that has been done already and the review by Mark A seems sensible to me. I never really liked NBG95 anyway.
    I strung my VT-80's at 29 (BG80P) and 30 lbs (NBG99). Same grip and white strings. The rackets look identical and due to the difference in tension they also sound the same when I hit them against my hand. It's a blind test. I have to read the text on the strings to tell them apart. Usually I prefer thinner strings, so this is a bit out of my comfort zone. Anyway:
    Power BG80P > NBG99 - Though this isn't by much. In most shoots the difference is not important at all. As someone stated earlier, the power of NBG99 seems very acceptable. BG80P leans more towards a hard hitters string but with a touch of delicacy. When you really go for it BG80P will let loose some serious power.
    Sound BG80P = NBG99 - I don't care much about the sound, and I don't think they stand out in any way. Not metallic crisp like NBG98 and not dull like BG65. NBG99 sounds quite high pitch for such a thick string. And if you are used to normal BG80, BG80P sounds a bitt muffled. I can not tell them apart by sound.
    Control NBG99 > BG80P - Again, not much in it, but NBG99 is slightly easier to handle especially at the net. My personal preference is medium feel strings so I'm quite biased towards NBG99, but I also prefer thinner strings so BG80P should not be out of competition. But i feel that the rougher surface combined with the medium feel makes NBG99 a winner in the end.
    Tension NBG99 = BG80P - The strings only has 10-15 hours of play each so it's not like they have been pushed that much. So far they hold up nicely. And they seem to loose tension at the same pace. The rackets still got identical "ping" when compared with each other.
    Last ability - I have no idea. I usually don't break strings.

Summary Like I said I prefer thinner strings and you can tell that these are not. They both lack a bit of delicacy and effortless power for my liking. But when it comes to medium to thick strings (0,68-0,70) I think these two are among the best. I have tested all of Yonex strings (besides CBG200, BG88ti and BG6). I prefer BG80P over normal BG80 (another story) and I prefer NBG99 over all other medium to thick strings but BG66 Sharp (A shame that Yonex discontinued it). NBG99 is probably the best all round string in Yonex current line, closely followed by BG80P.

8. ronaldindin

ronaldindin Regular Member

how good is this string compare to bg66? I'm BG66 supporter, hardly try other string

9. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I don't think it is fair to compare a thin gauge string to a med-thick gauge string really. You need to compare apples with apples really otherwise you'll find differences that may not do either string justice.

10. maxp74

maxp74 Regular Member

Architect
    I second that. Gauge is probably the most important difference between strings.

But if I have to make a specific comparison between BG66 and NBG99 I have to say that BG66 has better control and more repulsion. But for a thick string NBG99 is not far behind, which is rather surprising. The original BG66 is very prone to breakage and probably the only string I tend to break before it has lost tension and I choose to cut it. NBG99 will outlast BG66 by miles.

In the end I would still choose BG66 over NBG99 and that has to do with my preference. I like the feel of BG66 very much. But that's me. Others may think differently.

11. Jernan

Jernan Regular Member

Yep it's been 4 months with nbg99, tension might have dropped but it's still rather good.

12. NOLE.LUCKY

NOLE.LUCKY Regular Member

Is nbg 99 useful at low tensions like 22 lbs? I have a vt7 so what string would you suggest at this tension. I have access to yonex strings only.

13. Jernan

Jernan Regular Member

Not very sure... I normally play at 28 lbs average. If I were to string lower tensions like on my low end yonexes I use cheaper strings since there is no point getting an expensive string for this tension. Or otherwise, string a thinner string since it plays nicer at lower tension. I tried bg65 and some other thick string at 24 lbs and I alr couldn't stand it haha! It just doesnt feel good. Just my two cents, perhaps a bc member who plays lower tensions might have a different opinion.

14. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    After using the NBG99 for 2-3 months I can now compare it directly to NBG98. If people are worried about the power from these strings there's plenty of it but it's slightly less than that off NBG98. However the control on NBG99 is much better than that of NBG98 where netting and drops are much more accurate. The durability is also better obviously due to the thickness of the string. The feel is much better where when you hit the shuttle there is a much better feeling than the NBG98 where it was numb so you couldn't at times feel the shuttle properly.

Overall i would rate the NBG99 for someone who's all rounder gameplay and NBG98 for attacker.

I'm sticking with NBG99 :)

15. davinci..

davinci.. Regular Member

That would be awesome if I could get a pack from you to try out! Do you still have any left?

16. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    phandrew, is your NBG99 in SP or JP ?

17. -Berg

-Berg Regular Member

Carbonex 30 Muscle - 29 lbs ECP

what a sniper this combination has become :rolleyes:

well as mentioned above, I agree that this is probably the best allrounder. "Control" category is not exxaggerating at all. Apart from its price :crying:

18. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Short review

Since Monday,

I trained 2 times and played 2 session with the Nanogy 99 at 30 x 32 on my MX80.

Coming from theBG66 UM which was my go to for last saison, I can say that this string performs very well and is a great allround string.

The access to the power of this string was quite easy. It doesn't have the repulsion of the BG66UM or BG80 but is quite powerful. I would say that the BGG66UM and BG80 are a bit more powerful, maybe because they are thinner strings. Compare to BG80 the NBG99 is nearly on par. Only a little difference.
    The NBG99 feels very familiar at first time. Smashing was a joy and I send alot of deadly rockets. The feedback was good.
    Clears and Backhand clears were effortless and the control is great. Every shuttle goes to the point which I aimed.
    Definitely an improvement compared to NBG95 which was very slippery.
    Sliced shots are very sharp and easy to perform.
    At the net this string performs very well, too. Net shots, crosscourt net drops were accurate and very close. Here the control really shines again. The feeling was medium. Not hard at all, but not too soft IMO.
    About holding tension and durability I can't say anything at this time, because the string is freshly strung.
    After all this string is a good string in all aspects. There was nothing which was disappointed or disturbs me. It's a nice string. Compared to my BG80 on the second MX80 at same tension, it lacks a tiny bit in terms of power. Don't get me wrong. It's just an observation and marginal.
    I think this strings fit for allround and controlled players who didn't choosed the BG80 due its hard feeling. It's excellent for people who do alot sliced shots because of its rough surface. For offensive players, who are looking for the ultimate power, it's maybe not the perfect string.
    Will I string this string again? Yes. I need some more time to figure at every little margin between BG80 and NBG99. Especially holding tension is important for me. At the moment for me the BG80 is slightly the better one because it fits my liking and requirement of a string and I know from previous stringing jobs that it holds tension very well. But NBG99 is definitely a string which is worth to give a try and can compete with the BG80. Especially for users who like the BG80 but don't like the hard feeling can choose NBG99 without any doubts.

19. visor

visor Regular Member

[MENTION=59291]ucantseeme[/MENTION] thanks for the review. I'm also interested in the tension retention of this string. You can use a free tuner app for smartphones to keep track of the tension by measuring the dominant frequency. CarlTune for Android, and one for iOS that I can't seem to recall atm.

20. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff

I have ClearTune and RacketTune on my ipod touch.