ZELM Badminton

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sgbad, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Tedski

Tedski Regular Member

bean counter
    Have had the new PP10000 over a week now, finally have played with it for 3 sections and feel I have put in enough time to allow me to write a review.

I have partly used “Blurry D” racquet template although I personal much prefer a comparison style than score rating style. So through out the review, I will be referencing back to the Zelm PP9990 a lot as that is my current go to racquet. And all my racquets are currently strung with same string, tension and by the same stringer, Pete_LSD.

Name: Zelm PP10000
    Specs: weight is measured @86g (my scale do not go beyond full gram)
    Shaft stiffness: stiff as per manufacture
    Balance point: bp is 290mm dry (after string and grip, 288mm)
    Strings: BG-80 white
    Tension: 2 piece method, 26x28.5lb ECP with 10% pre-stretch on Victor machine
    Grip: original pulled, replaced with YY Super Grap AX102EX 50% overlap on 1 layer of electrician tape and 2 layers of athletic tape. Result back to an exact Yonex G5 grip size

Technology: PT – Power transfer
    About yourself: offensive style player, like to use my speed and various shots to attack but mainly drives and smashes. Play mostly doubles, occasional singles (but prefer playing singles, where I receive most of previous training on)
    Previous racket model: previous go to rackets – YY AT900P (3U, bp 303mm), Sotx W7 (89.5g, bp 292mm), current go to rackets since Mar 2009 – 3 x Zelm PP9990 (86.5g, bp 293mm). Other racquets had processed – AT900T (4U), Sotx W8, Zelm Trixon 8.

First Impression:
    The PP10000 has a very descent paint job, compare to the previous models, it is a big improvement. It is very light in hand with a slightly head heavy balance feel, cut through the air nicely when swing. Also, notice the shaft is quite a bit stiffer compare to previous models, particularly in lateral & torsional stiffness which should result in better accuracy and stability. I usually don’t pay much attention to grip as I always pull out the original and rewrap. I have ordered a total of 4 x PP10000 and glad to find that the specs and finish a very consistent.

Initial Feel:
    As I stated earlier, the PP10000 cut through the air very nicely with and without strings; lucky I have an unstrung PP9990 as well, comparing both, I could feel and hear the speed improvement from the older model. The PP10000 has a lighter swing weight but still heavy enough to keep the racquet stable. When working on drives and lift exercises, there is a noticeable improvement on racquet head speed but feel the stiffness of the shaft could work against my more delicate shots.

Warm Ups:
    I certainly agree with lot of people had stated, the PP10000 hitting clear is smooth and powerful in both high and particularly in offensive clear. The feel and sound of hitting is crisp and the racquet head is very stable at and after impact. However, it does take a bit more effort compare to the PP9990 likely due to the stiffness of the shaft and less head heavy. I only have one word to sum of the speed of PP10000, “FAST”, very fast that I have miss hit a lot of shots, either in smashes, or drives. This racquet makes drops very easy even for people like me who don’t use or practice drops often.

Game Time Impression:
    During real game play, it does take me a few games to get use to the racquet and it reminds me of a slightly head heavy version of NS9000X. The speed and maneuverability is certainly the strong point of PP10000, it makes block, push and drive very easy, I think the biggest plus for me is the drop shots. It is precise, sharp and crisp. Net shots and accuracy are good but not as noticeable compare to other good features, but it may due to I have not get use to the stiffness yet. However, the light weight and quickness of the racquet does make last moment change of direction and deceptive shots easy. Power is adequate but takes extra effort compare to my other racquets; angle and speed of half smash, wrist smash or cut smash is excellent and particularly effective with this racquet. Light racquet is always good on defense and the PP10000 is no exception, almost too fast in a couple occasions; the shaft stiffness makes creating sharp returning angle very easily.

Summary:
    Pros : speed, maneuverability and stiffness; pricing, 2 for 1 of some big brands top lines.

Cons: stiffness (at least for me and my application)

Suitability: works for both singles and doubles, but particular well for front double players. Would recommend to intermediate to advance level players

For now, I am not convinced this could fully replace my PP9990 yet, but is certainly growing in time.
    Again, thanks for Sgbad’s speedy and top notch service, and Pete_LSD string up the racquet with a very short notice.

Ted

2. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

stringer for community centers
    Hey Ted,

I heard from Pete_LSD that its SUPER stiff hope i can try it out sometimes :D
    in terms of power, 9990>10000? i find the 9990 quite flexible at times but sure packs a punch. is the sweet spot bigger compared to the 9990?

btw the celilos came but not time to test them out yet... stupid summer courses =(

3. Tedski

Tedski Regular Member

bean counter
    Nex Monday, I will playing with Andy and a couple of members from your Friday night group, are you coming as well :D. You are certainly weclome to try it.

For me, PP9990 still hits harder and with a slightly bigger sweet spot.

I am glad you got the celilos, it would worth the money and the wait.

Ted

4. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

I have night classes on monday, tuesday, thursday until july so no badminton till then =( we'll i'll catch up with you when july come about =D

5. Tedski

Tedski Regular Member

bean counter
    Courtesy of Pete_LSD, he has just reminded me, where I have forgotten about comments on feel of PP10000. Don't know is the shaft stiffness or Zelm has employed a different manufacturing methods, the PP10000 doesn't seems to give the same feed back as the PP9990, ie: less vibration. Of course, less vibration is good, but to a point it is robbing the feel so I am not getting adequate feed back from my racquet and it shows in some of tumbling net shots.

Ted

6. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    I actually noticed the exact opposite. I had more feel and my tumbling net shots improved with the PP10000. Perhaps I'm not as good, or I don't play as high a tension.

7. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Nice review tedski. Thank you for the compliments. Its been my pleasure.

8. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Abit off topic, but i thought will be a good thing to share with you guys.

Guess what i got for my belated birthday present from my friends/badminton players/customers. Didnt had the chance to meet up on my birthday because of my national service commitments, so, we met up today for a badminton game as it is a public holiday today. AND GUESS WHAT I RECEIVED? :D:D

A 1:1 ratio POWERPLAY10000 BIRTHDAY CARD!!!! The Powerplay10000 is really life size.:p

Thank you for the efforts put into this birthday card! Thank you for the well wishes!:D:D:D Really lovely!:D:D:D

Attached Files:

#1108 Sgbad, May 28, 2010
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
  9. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Happy Birthday Sgbad ! I really like the card !

10. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

Belated Happy Birthday Sgbad! Perhaps next year, you'll either get a life size 11000 or 12000 bday card:D! Hint, hint:);):D?

11. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Sorry, this reply is abit late. BUT, THANK YOU SIR!:D

I hope to get a life size ULTIMATE SERIES (power) birthday card.;);):p

12. Alpinerock

Alpinerock Regular Member

Ok! ULTIMATE SERIES - tell us more!

13. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Here it is!

Model: ZELM Ultimate Series (power)
    Material: Ultra High Modulus Graphite
    Length: 675mm
    Weight: 2U, 3U
    Balance: Head Heavy +
    Stiffness: Stiff +

Added with ZELM power transfer shaft II.

Check out this gorgeous racket.:D:D (sorry for the low quality picture. Will try to get clearer pictures.) Will be released 28th of this month June2010.:D

Attached Files:

#1113 Sgbad, Jun 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  14. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    That is a nice looking racquet and i love the specs on it with headheavy+ and stiff+ sounds like the prefect racquet.

15. singnflip4life

Full Time Med Student
    Omg its finally here!!! Any word on the price? Cuz now I have to decide if I want a 2U or a 3U..........

16. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Had a chance to hit around with it for 2hours. Feels great!:D

Be assured that i will get it at good value for bc and zelm users! :D

#1116 Sgbad, Jun 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  17. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    28th june is just 7days away!!!:D

18. singnflip4life

Full Time Med Student
    We can always count on you SgBad!

If anyone in the US would like to start ordering, I'd be willing to start a group order to save on shipping. I can also string them once they get to me if you guys want a string SgBad doesn't have, if that's okay with him of course. But I don't know how many Zelm users are here in the States besides me and a few others I've convinced to use the PP10000.

19. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Or you could get both !:D

I like the look of the racket though, nice red, white and black colours.

20. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

dang looks interesting! cant wait :D