Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Thank you for your output though please put them in paragraphs next time so I can read it easier... I will be posting a new video tomorrow hopefully if one my friends can record for me depends whether I play singles or not.

2. henrychenn

henrychenn Regular Member

Student
    I was just scrolling through as I was bored and had a look!Sorry that there's no spacing, was using my phone as a hotspot and I think that just deletes spacing when posted

3. fauci

fauci Regular Member

very nice one, that must have been intimidating

4. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
  5. amleto

amleto Regular Member

you are way too sideways-on when defending. Very often take a very biased defensive position ie you're basically guessing what side the shuttle will come.

Unnecessary pirouettes on b/h shots.

Forearm (non overhead) shots are very 'arm-y'. Looks to be too much flexion and not enough ulnar deviation. Can see this on return of serve - the action should be significantly shorter.

Smash/stick looks good, although you tend to land off balance and need an extra recovery step. Would also be good to shorten the 'recoil' on some other power shots (e.g. 4:03 g2).

When you flick serve, your first step is forwards! And it take you three further steps plus a jump to get back to base. You look quite tall so I'm sure you could half the effort ()2:25 g1.

Drop shots probably aren't effective because your arm motion is too slow throughout the whole swing.

I'd say you stand too far back when your partner is receiving.

6. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    Funny you mention the underarm shots - those are what catch out a lot of opponents - with the camera angle you can't see where I'm hitting in relation to the opponent but I quite often have them going the wrong way in MD and XD from low shots...

The return of serve - I agree, just more consistent currently with the action being used - if I shorten the action (I think I know what you mean) it's much less consistent, giving away cheap points.

Here's the singles matches:

http://youtu.be/DoNwy8b-lOw

http://youtu.be/O-MYJoV2alY

http://youtu.be/Wm6nYyD_EMg

7. alex292

alex292 Regular Member

Student
    Here are some videos from my recent tournament. We only managed to reach 3rd place, which was rather disappointing.Due to the large amount of players the games only went to 15 points instead of 21. Up until the semi-final we won every game in two sets. In the semi-final we lost in three sets.I couldn't record all games up until the end because my cameras battery died or it's memory was full. In the semi-final I only recorded the first and parts of the third set.My doubles partner for this tournament prefers playing singles and we never really played together before, but nonetheless it worked out ok.I'm thankful for any advice and tipps you can give me. My error rate was quite high because I played very aggressive, probably to aggressive at some times.If you don't want to watch all videos, I would recommend watching the third group game and the semi-finale. The other games were rather easy. All videos are about 8mins long each. Enjoy :)1. group game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io5t531Mias2. group game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_VqaHpE_IY3. group game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdZOyuJb8m4quarter-final:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZIqvd7kC1Esemi-final:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwgzkDAAqP8

#2047 alex292, May 5, 2014
    Last edited: May 5, 2014
  8. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

Which one are you? Blue shirt?

9. alex292

alex292 Regular Member

Student
    oh I totaly forgot to mention that. Yes, I am the tall guy with yellow shoes and blue shirt.

10. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Wow great games ! Wish I could play like you aha , I wish I could move like you but I'm lazy a lot of times so when I actually try I can move when I'm tired I don't even bother ):, & also when I saw your name I thought it said mis-hit pro ahahaha, anyways I have a video atm goingn to upload it soon, it's better then the other videos I think but still a bit lazy foot work is okay , trying to remember to split step consistently , and need to overhead more back hands and choose better shots aha. A lot to work on.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You have good bounce and timing on your footwork. For singles, you can definitely do a lot better.

However, your overhead shots are a little weak in the technique.

When you prepare for an overhead, your arm drops and swings out wide. It slows your preparation. Quite a lot of people do this even up to a very high level of play. (it's common in tennis serves).

Also, as alluded before, your disguise on overhead drops is pretty poor and your smashes are stiff. This boils down to finger technique and relaxation. To go up the next step, you will have to learn relaxation and not to hold the racquet too tightly in the early phase of the stroke. Once you relax, you can start getting better dropshots. For the dropshots, you do a "push the shuttle" technique (hence amleto saying it's slow). Well, it's one way of doing a dropshot but you need other techniques at hand for variation. I predict you do not have a proper reverse slice drop shot - or if you do, it's not effective.

For singles, it means you cannot pull the opponent around to the forecourt so easily as the game progresses and the game gets correspondingly harder and harder.

Amleto commented on the doubles. Not bad. Defense stance, right leg too far forward. An experienced opponent can set you up with a hit to your backhand and then your forehand. You do have good bounce technique and control of centre of balance so that gets you out of trouble a lot:)

Overhead preparation for smashes and drops again is slow.

Don't get me wrong - I think you have decent power in your smash. Once experienced opponents figure out your smash technique, they will be able to negate it easily.

BTW, your partner has a few holes in his return of serve that are quite easily correctable. Worth a couple of points for a win instead of a loss :)

#2051 Cheung, May 5, 2014
    Last edited: May 5, 2014
  12. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=2GZXEV0k6f0

Can anyone give me tips on how to bring your legs up on the jump smash I do? Also my first time rallying with feathers and smashing with a feather shuttle and I gotta say it feels so good but got to get used to it.

13. Steve the noob

For me, I switch-leg (in an actual game or during footwork drills) into a forward jump. I usually take off from my dominant foot from the back, bringing it to the front as I land to recover. Timing is everything on the jump smash, so don't be frustrated if you jump into the air and just completely miss the bird.What you did in the video was just jump in the air, which helps with angle of the smash, but it doesn't add any power. I can't see too much detail since a person walked into the camera at the time you jumped, lol.

14. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    The switch leg is the scissor kick thing right? , yeah I understand the timing part, it just feels so much better then doing the regular scissor. Should I lean my more forward so I can get to the bird quicker as well?. Yeah tbh I swear everytime I smash or something people get in the way... Thank you !

15. Steve the noob

It's ideal to have really fast footwork so you can get behind the bird early to take time and build up the power with a forward jump. That's just not always possible at our level, but its something to work up to. And remember to turn your body, so that your body is perpendicular, to some degree, to the net before you jump.

16. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    So kinda anticipate ?, thanks Steve ((:)

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Exert, your smash form needs a lot of work. I don't even know where to start. Check these out for some excellent tips. Not mine of course... :p

[video=youtube_share;qhlGoRCZ2Ro]http://youtu.be/qhlGoRCZ2Ro[/video]

[video=youtube_share;6L3M1A6x3zI]http://youtu.be/6L3M1A6x3zI[/video]

[video=youtube_share;F2tFeDNpvy0]http://youtu.be/F2tFeDNpvy0[/video]

18. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    She looks like you visor! Haha just kidding thanks I will watch them tomorrow as it's too late at the moment, is my swing okay so far though?

19. visor

visor Regular Member

Swing looks reasonable. But remember if you want to practice your pronation effectively, you have to lead the elbow past your ear and practically swing towards the bird with the racket edge on, with pronation finally contacting the bird squarely.

And your two shoulders should initially form a line with the incoming shuttle. And for proper positioning, if you don't hit the bird and allow the bird to land, it should land just in front of your right foot.

Anyways these tips are in the videos.

20. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Thank you visor! :DDDDD