Prof Players have 35lb tension!?, why?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by London_Player, Jan 31, 2009.

1. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Hi All,

When you buy a racket, the max tension is normally is 24lb, but how come prof players usually have more than 30lb tension. This has been bothering me and wanted to ask you people. :confused:

Does that mean that prof players rackets are made to withstand far more tension than ameuter rackets?.

I thought all rackets can withstand the same tension, after paying huge amount of money for the rackets. Some Yonex Badminton rackets are even more expensive than equivalent Yonex Tennis rackets?!:eek:

2. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    The max tension is so that if somebody strings over 24lbs and it breaks, they don't have to refund it. You have to buy another racket and they make more money. A pro doesn't care if there racket breaks because of too high tension stringing. They simply get another racket from there sponsor or from the overly large bags

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Professionals have sufficiently good technique to negate the bad effects of high tension (perceived lack of power, arm/shoulder pain etc) while enjoying the benefits (more control).

Swing is right: they don't need to worry about breaking frames because they get rackets thrown at them by sponsors (while the rest of us have to be careful:mad:). There's no documented difference between professionals' rackets and ours - in theory, the racket you use should be indistinguishable from one of its stablemates that a pro uses.

4. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

only Yonex rackets makes special rackets for Chinese national teams. they are coded differently, and may have much better spec, ie higher max tension.

for the rest, it's a matter of warranty claim process.

5. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I think that's bit of a myth really. Chances are, they come off the same production line as the consumer models. I just think it'd be too expensive even for Yonex (not worth doing) to make such a small run of such a variety of rackets. I may be wrong but right now, neither of us has a way of proving their theory.

6. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Pete LSD strings normal racquets tighter than that; so it is possible to do on a regular model.

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    do a checkup with BF's stickys

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=144

8. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

actually, i think that the only true different spec is higher max tension from JP coded rackets. i remember reading about it in the badminton FAQs section.
    however, lets not make this a CP/ CH argument thread.

#8 jymbalaya, Jan 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  9. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Many thanks lads. There is a huge diff of string tension between a pro and non-pro. You certainly have clarified the situation.

10. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Not always, there are many people I know and many people that visit these forums that string well above 30Lbs. I used to use high tensions before I moved to natural gut which just can't take them. As mentioned earlier, PeteLSD strings at outrageous tensions, as does Oldhand and many others. Granted, they all must be very good players to wield a racket at those tensions but amateurs can play at high tensions too.

11. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Although I'd like it to be otherwise, the truth is different. There are hundreds of players out there using lower string tensions who could beat the, er, points out of me :eek:

Some simply can't play with low string tensions.
    Some simply can't play with high string tensions.

String tension is dictated largely by your racquet-arm's comfort zone.
    The ideal tension is one that brings out the best in your arm, game and racquet without damaging any of the three :)

12. wocdam

wocdam Regular Member

Professional
    i would like to agreewith Oldhand that string tension does not entirely depend on the skill level of the player. Me for instance, string at 27lbs and above, but i'm a terrible player. i have tried lower tensions, but it doesn't work for me, because i cannot feel the shuttle at all when contacting the string bed.