BBC3 coming soon?

Discussion in 'Bay Badminton Center ( BBC )' started by kwun, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    It's the same building once occupied by Smash City so ventilation should remain the same, only courts, lighting, walls, bathroom were altered slightly plus a new Pro-shop right at the front entrance. There's no air-condition on court, only office area in the front has air-con if I am not mistaken.

2. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

That would be too bad. They don't need AC. What they need are some air-vent up in the sky-light to let the hot air escape. I hope at least they install that.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. Smashcity was cold in the winter and hot in the summer. ;) it also had issues with humidity. in the wet winter months, the floor is so damp it was dangerously slippery to play badminton in. i hope it will be better with BBC3's different flooring.

4. xcaliberz

xcaliberz Regular Member

Engineer
    yeah that was so gross.. the floor was so slippery and they had towels and old t-shirts to soak up water in the corners... it smelled so bad lol

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i think one of the problem with the Smashcity/BBC3 site is that the building is not adequately insulated. some other clubs like Bintang Campbell and also CBA have insulation at the roof which helps preventing heat/cold loss. that plus some ventilation will be adequate in all but the coldest/hottest days of the year. those insulation are not present in the Smashcity/BBC3 building.

6. shreky

shreky Regular Member

i hope the new floors won't crack ...... just like the ones in bbc1 (which they eventually fixed)

7. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

Good point. I only experienced the damp floor once and it was really bad. I guess I don't mind the cold as much by putting on a light sweater, but I just couldn't take those hot days :D

8. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    anyone actually going to the opening on saturday?

9. bdmfam

bdmfam Regular Member

My friend and I are planning to go tomorrow.
    We have been waiting impatiently.;)

10. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

A quick preview is up on their Bay Badminton Center facebook page. Looks dark still though =/

11. bdmfam

bdmfam Regular Member

Actually, I just visited the long awaited BBC 3 just tonight. The floors are amazing, some of the best I've seen thus far in the South Bay, and the lighting is competent at the least. It was really exciting seeing the new layout, which is quite different from that of Smash City. There is now one more court added to the playing area. Outside the gym, a new pro shop has been added, in which I've heard a sale will happen tomorrow. Overall, the gym is very beautiful in my opinion, as the dark red courts are nicely contrasted to the bright green area around each court, making it easier to see your boundaries.

It was exciting to get this awesome sneak preview of a great badminton gym, and go check it out yourselves :):)

12. naim564

naim564 Regular Member

IT Engineer
    BBC 3 in Milpitas is a great place to play Badminton. BBC management had given us an opportunity to play Friday evening at BBC3 while some work was still being done..
    The Floors, Lightings and atmosphere are great. Some folks raised concerned about Poles between the courts and after playing extensively at the new BBC3 we did not find any issues. Ventilation is great tooo.. I specially like the colors of court and walls they all are very well done...
    Its really amazing how BBC3 Management executed the work by building the whole facility in less than 30days..
    Its really great to see a brand new Badminton Facility to open in San Jose.

BBC3 Is now open over weekend and nextweek..for play..(Pls call and verify)

13. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    I did not like bbc3. I thought they would add in spring flooring like bintang but they didnt. They're queing system was not good. You were not able to sign off on a court, and if u didnt not sign in for about an hour or so ur login would be no longer valid. The bbc team also took up lots of space, 4-5 courts for training. overall i would say skip bbc and go to bintang campbell.

14. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Need adjustment

To me, there's always some sort of adjustment when play at new facility. I recall when Bintang Sunnyvale was opened many years ago, players try to adjust the uneven floor and the drift on the challenge court which is right next to the garage door, don't even mention about fighting fiercely to stay on the court since it's always crowded as it was the only full badminton facility in town. Then came the Smash City, I got injured because I didn't stretch out properly with the harder floor on the first month. I adjusted and played basically injury free for the remaining of the 5 years.
    Bintang Sunnyvale has improved greatly when I visited last month during Smash City transition to BBC3. Typically master Phu style, deserve lots of credit.
    Thus far, I have played 2 times at BBC3, I think it's great and once again there is adjustment need to be make as Smash City didn't have electronics queuing system. I think BBC3 floor is just fine after my second trial out.
    Badminton gym is more territorial so BBC3 will attract mostly residents surrounding Milpitas/North Valley/South Fremont and I am starting to see many older timers(former Smash City players) coming back last week. I am sure when CBA is ready then most of the Fremont residents will find that convenient for them also.
    I think Bay Area residents are a bit spoil :D

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    so i finally got to drop by BBC3 tonight.

not many surprise beyond what we already know. the color is same as BBC1, the flooring is also the familiar Robbins flooring which has been tried and tested.

chatted with Harry a bit about it, he acknowledge a couple of issues that Smashcity had, namely the temperature/ventilation issue as well as moisture buildup in humid days.

for the moisture, he said they have installed some extra mesh in the flooring to make it breathable.

for the temperature, they are planning to install a duct system to draw hot air out of the gym. he also mentioned that installing an A/C system is also a possibility.

the lighting isn't as bright as Bintang Campbell or CBA. the lighting level is a one EV/stop darker. this is rather obvious after stepping into the gym. it feels dark. they would have to double the amount of light to match the other location. right now it is only borderline for photography.

i also noticed that the light is not even over the court surface, it is brighter near the net and darker towards the baseline. Harry claims that is by design from observing international tournaments.

visibility-wise, standing at the outside looking towards the center of the gym has slightly poorer visibility. it is not as big an issue as CBA and it is actually quite ok.

the court layout is very good. a lot of spacing between and behind court. benches will be placed at the end walls for patrons to sit on.

it is pretty much what i have expected it. they made a good gym out of the same space that was occupied by Smashcity.

here is a panorama that i took while i was there.

Attached Files: