How to Make Your Own Towel Grips in 5 Easy Steps.

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Wukong, Aug 26, 2004.

1. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

i made some adjustments on my "hockey tape"method and guess what? hockey tape is not necessary!! just cut a long piece of towel, and grip in on the racket, and at the end of ur grip, put electric or hockey tape to secure teh grip like the yonex super grap. However, one thing to watch out for is that u should have a leather grip underneath the towel . For example, i have the yonex super grap (old , and beaten but doesn't matter) under my towel so that it feels soft and teh towel doesn't slip off... if there was only wood beneath the towel, the towel COULD slip off... rite now, i love my own towel grip... it's much better and cheaper than the ones i buy from yonex, and they are very easy to make... just cut a long piece of towel, and ur done!!

2. schmoey

schmoey Regular Member

hi.. first time poster.. (sorry for bringing back an old topic..!)

i looked at another topic before i got to this one... talking about types of towel grips... and someone mentioned the "sock" type of towel grip?.. apparently they're supposed to be reusable and washable...

has anyone thought of putting the two ideas together? --- homemade "sock"-type towel grip

you'd need a sewing machine at home though >_>.. no tape required except some electric tape near the cone to keep it from slipping off... if dirty, you could probably take off the electric tape carefully and home that there isn't thread flying everywhere lol.. then wash it or something

haven't tried this myself... but the idea kinda just popped into my head.. what do you guys think?

3. Super~ME!

Super~ME! Regular Member

student
    ...i've tried this before and it doesn't reall work too well...it's kinda hard to get a good fit. and even if it does fit somewhat...you'll have all to make the 'sock' a little bigger to fit over the buttom of the grip. and then, you'll have all this extra cm of fabric or so clumping around which makes it kinda hard to grip properly and pretty uncomfortable.

...and for all you people who have tried or are using the suggest homemade towel grip with the strip of towel and tape...does the towel fall apart where the threads separate as you use it and slowly become a big mess? :p

4. mtk2

mtk2 Regular Member

Business
    Tried that one , but the grip i could make is very thick. So i can not use it.
    Tell me how to prevent the the grip from getting thick.

5. sessyargc

sessyargc Regular Member

software engineer
    A "sock"-type towel grip would be not very hard to create specially if you know how to sew using that sewing machine but you need the right materials. Most "sock"-type towel grips are somewhat elastic, that is why users of this type of grip do not neet to put tape on the grip to hold it or prevent it from slipping from the handle. The elasticity of the "sock" also makes the grip conform to the handle thus it doesnt get too bulky or too thick.

6. schmoey

schmoey Regular Member

yeah, i was thinking about using elastic or something... i have a bunch of industrial sewing machines at my house... one of'em can feed elastics through stuff, so that might be the way to go

7. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    Damn I love this idea.. I can save money from buying grips. And i can even wash the towel by ripping it out the tape.

8. Noob848

Noob848 Regular Member

Great idea but, cheap towels make my hand have blisters lol, so i guess only the yonex towel grip has the towel i like.*peels towel grip off, uses it for a bath*

9. ribroy

ribroy Regular Member

I'm suffering from "Hansel and Gretel" syndrome with my home made towel grips at the moment. Maybe it is the cheap towel that I used :eek:

10. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    'hansel & gretel' syndrome?

is that when you push your mother in law in the oven? :p

or maybe when you start trying to eat your house? :p

hehe - sorry - had to get those in... completely off topic i know :D

Coops

11. ribroy

ribroy Regular Member

Lol - My wife can now follow my trail of towel crumbs to the sports hall that I play at :p but I like the idea about the oven :eek: :D

12. By You

By You Regular Member

He.....he....he...... :D :D :D

13. Noob848

Noob848 Regular Member

heh choosing your towel of choice is hard, many cheap towels rip apart into shreds easily

14. ilostmybrain

ilostmybrain Regular Member

Student
    Haha, i make my own towel grips too ever since reading this, my friend surprisingly bought 1, i make 2 types =P For here and to go :p, since i have 2 types of 2-sided tape

15. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

wow, thanks for reLIVING this thread!:D.. thanks for the info, wukong:p

16. lilyaks

lilyaks Regular Member

ok guys, what about this- when you try to take the grip off, doesnt the doblue sided tape stick to the handle/grip and you end up just peeling off the towel?

17. lilyaks

lilyaks Regular Member

and about the residue- whats better eletrical tape or the plastic cling wrap thing?

18. DocfcRn

DocfcRn Regular Member

Physician
    since ived read this thread, i started doing my own towel drip, 1 big bath towel will last me 6 months! and since i have no other choice of grip other than towel grip, due to my super duper sweaty hands, because of this DIY towel grip, it gives me extra savings that i can spend for other badminton necessities like shutlecock, shirts...etc. I removed the original grip, and exposed the wood, then i apply thin layer of electrical tape to protect the wood and whenever im changing my towel grip, its easier to peel the electrical tape leaving no adhesive residue on the wood. I think thin plastic wrap will also do the trick, its a matter of personal preference and availability.

19. DocfcRn

DocfcRn Regular Member

Physician
    from experienced... double sided tapes are so sticky and always leaves an adhesive residue on the grip, that is why some people are applying a thin layer of wrap or electrical tape before putting the towel grip with double sided tape. as for me, i use electrical tape, because its cheap and easy to find.

20. kimmiboy2

kimmiboy2 Regular Member

To anyone who have been making their own towel grips... Does it work good??