Lin Dan and the 2013 World Championship qualification

Discussion in 'World Championship 2013' started by AlanY, Jan 24, 2013.

1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Scorpion, pls read the 1st page. AlanY tried correctly the title but couldnt, I think the 15 min was up. So AlanY already posted asking the mods to change it, now only the mods can.

2. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Lin Dan will not compete in the All England this year, his name has been withdrawn from the M&Q list.

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I noticed that too, don't know what's going on, no confirmation of his final decision yet. Neither did he register for the German Open. Problem is if he really skipped the AE and not taking part in the German Open and Swiss Open as well it seems, how is he going to qualify for the WC?

In fact, I was thinking at first, if his leave expires in end Feb and then he returns to the national squad for intensive systematic training, there is simply insufficient time for him to prepare for the AE in March. Haiz.

4. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

he really withdrawn already? i give up on him now. haiz.

say good bye to WC.

5. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Dont worry, LYB will make sure LD in WC la...................lots of things he can do la...!! lol

6. tharakesh

tharakesh Regular Member

finals:

lindan Vs LCW :)

just one more time..before they retire : pray :

7. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

And this guy is preparing himself to be fit again!
    [​IMG]

8. event

event Regular Member

Have any of you seen this? I've never heard of any such difference in rules. If China is guaranteed of 3 spots, then why would it say 'they can select any three players based on the order of the world rankings'? I mean, if they can indeed select 'any three', and Lin Dan can be among them even though he will not be in the top 24, then that implies the selection would not be 'based on the order of the world rankings'.

9. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

^^ yeah, that rule has always applied I thought. It's a matter of getting players into the ranking spaces, then choosing which ones you want to take.

Malaysia did this when they didn't select Gan/Tan and chose Hoon/Zakry instead...

10. event

event Regular Member

Okay. I guess I just assumed that Hoon/Zakry's spot was freed up with the no's from Malaysia and others. If that is true, then I guess it doesn't really matter that Lin Dan isn't going to enter a single tournament between the Olympics and May 1st. China can just put 4 other guys in the top 24 and then chop 2 off and insert Lin Dan, even if he is ranked 53rd by then.

#50 event, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  11. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

the rules regarding qualification are clear,
    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file_download.aspx?id=422679&tid=1

but the article in thestar are full of errors/misinformation!
    China can only field 3 players with Lin Dan if he stays above rank 24 by the end of qualification.

if LD drop to 25 say in April and China can only enter 2 players to include him, i.e. 2 instead of 3 entries.

#51 AlanY, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  12. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    so who need lin dan in wc?
    we have chen long now

13. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

yes, but he is a crowd puller and the home fans definitely like to see the world's best 2 players, CL and LD flight it out in the final.

14. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

LYB knows that Du and Chen Jin don't have the ability to hurt LCW, Wang ZM can if he's wanting to play properly.

I'd take Chen Long and Lin Dan over 3 china players anyway...

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yeah, for me too, It'll be great to see a Lin Dan vs Chen Long Final and you can be sure they will fight tooth and nail for the title of World Champion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way implying that Chen Long will beat Lee CW should they meet again in the final;in fact I think it should be a 50-50 match. I believe at the moment Chen Long is very likely on par with Lee CW, not yet superior to him, and assuming it's their third meeting in a row, the likelihood of Chen Long winning won't be higher than the previous two encounters - even Lin Dan didn't beat Lee CW every time, only most of the time, about 3 out of every 4 meetings based on past records.

Anyway, it might surprised you to read that Li Yongbo has the other day expressed that if Lin Dan is still not up to speed after returning to the national training center, he might not field him in the Sudirman Cup and the World Championship. That's LYB for you - like it or not, he is a brave,very capable, hard-nosed, pragmatic Head Coach.

16. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    really?
    lin dan often complain the crowd cheer for lee chong wei but not him in china
    no?

17. event

event Regular Member

Okay, I'll admit that you are almost certainly correct about the Star article containing misinformation. However, I disagree about the rules being clear ;). After all, what is the point of mentioning 9-24 when the limit of 3 players is if they are ranked somewhere between 1 and 24? That detail is very confusing. It actually makes it look as if you could field 9 players if you had, say, the #1, #3, #7, #8, #17, #21, #24, #72, and #149, even though we know that's not what they mean.
    I now see that this is not actually what happened. Malaysia only had 2 pairs ranked in the top 24 so that gave them the right to choose only 2 from the top 150. They had a right to choose Hoon/Zakry as their second pair but China fielding Lin Dan at #25 as a 3rd entry would be equivalent to Malaysia having chosen Chan Chong Ming / Lee Wan Wah (WR#153) as their 2nd pair in 2011.

#57 event, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  18. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

i think this is not strictly true. let say MAS has no 1,2 and 150. if they decided to drop 1 or 2 then no 150 may not be eligible. Rule 3.2.3 states that Players / pairs ranked in the BWF ranking list for each event will be considered in turn and are eligible to enter.

The 48 places should certainly filled before they reach no 150!

The member associations have a choice to choose only if their players are eligible according to the qualification lists by the end of April.

19. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

The way I understand the rules, the association has the right to choose, the slot still belongs to the country. BUT they need to be listed as eligible or reserve in BWF's list.

Gan/TBS were no 16, KKK/TBH no 4, Fairuz/OSH no 27. CPS/LKW no 28, Goh Wei Shem no 29. Zakry/Hoon were no 31.
    BAM chose KKK/TBH and Zakry/Hoon over Gan/TBS, Fairuz/OSH,CPS/LKW, GWS/Teo which was what pissed off Gan/TBS as independent players.

Later, due to withdrawal from other countries, Chan Peng Soon/Lim Khim Wah were added, they were no 28. At the time CPS/LKW had already split up but were listed as one of the 32 reserves for MD.

So, yeah, strictly speaking, BAM could not choose no 4(KKK/TBH) and no 149 as the 2 pairs. It would have been between no 1 to 35 or thereabouts for Asian country.

For European countries, it may be true as they have fewer players/pairs

#59 eaglehelang, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  20. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Let's face it, whatever the rules are, LYB knows them and knows how to use them...