Can a stringing newbie easily install a WISE 2086 on a crank machine?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by ant01, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The closer you get the WISE to the turntable, the more downward angle the string will be pulled through, resulting in bigger departure from "true" tension - the WISE pulls horizontally.

If you care about such things, you need to balance the string savings against the tension error:).

2. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

I actually moved the WISE a bit closer after my first stringing job, since my brother likes to pre-weave so it helps a lot for the WISE to be closer. Although the string is still fairly horizontal when pulled.

3. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

It seems to be fine so far once I tightened the gripper itself. Seems dodgy pulling out the limiter pin, wouldn't want to break something!

4. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

I'm not sure how you did it but my side supports don't normally go all the way in for most racquets. Maybe I can adjust something with the side support screw to make it go in deeper but I'm not sure how yet. Mabe your machine is just made better? :rolleyes:

Sometimes it gets close when in the normal position, but it's not actually touching as seen below:
    20130220_195159.jpg

I actually received some flying clamps yesterday which I quite like, but I am also exchanging my 3 pronged clamps for the 5 pronged ones that you have. I actually slightly ripped one of my strings yesterday from clamping too tight with the 3 pronged clamp but the string survived :eek:

I bought a toolbox along with the machine so I have a cutter, straight plier, string mover and awl. I'm not too confident using the string mover yet though, I'm scared to break something from pulling too hard. Usually using the pliers works fine for shared holes so far.

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

It's only a "roll" pin, so if you decide to do it you wouldn't breaking anything; five min disassembly of the gripper plates, then five min rebuild. Just don't lose any of the bearing rollers!

When I first got my WISE I had to use the "business card" solution, but that's so Blue Peter...

6. beelebala

beelebala Regular Member

catering
    I think we are using the latest version of WISE, so the gripping shouldn't be any problem on fine string like Zymax 62 with 0.62 dia.

7. beelebala

beelebala Regular Member

catering
    This normally happens on 2 o'clock and 10 o'clock of the frame. You are right on the quality of the machine,you try to close both arms of the stands at closing position, you measure each pair of arms to see any difference. If there is a narrower measurement , you marked the stand and use it as racket's head. My two pair of arms of the machine are fractionally difference.

8. expert-stringer

expert-stringer Regular Member

Simple solution if those K Frame supports do not reach your badminton racquet. Some card between the adjustment knob which has contact on to the side arm will do the trick, on the underside.

9. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

I'll give that a go thanks. I've been managing fine without it so far though but one day I'll replace the whole thing with a better quality stand & frame support.

Funnily enough I saw the exact same machine as mine in MBS shop and Hippo Sports in HK but under a different brand. The MBS machine didn't have the same problem as mine but the owner said he had to do some other modifications to get the frame support height the way that he wanted.