PREVIEW: Carlton Vapour Trail Tour / Elite

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by kwun, May 8, 2009.

1. dr_lager

dr_lager Regular Member

I played (briefly) with the 2011 VTT yesterday. It seems a little stiffer than the previous model. I didn't particularly notice the extra 1-2g of weight, and it felt like I'm going to really enjoy playing with it. It seems good for an all-round game to me. The factory string tension seemed a bit higher than the usual ~22lbs, which seems like a good thing to me. I also really like aesthetically that the grip is black. The white looks pretty ugly pretty quickly. The new one isn't quite so bling as the last one - but it's still bright enough to blind an opponent!

Now I'm going to put it away until I destroy the older one. I don't think the changes are big enough to warrant crying over. I think I'm going to love playing it, when I finally get to it!

2. riuryK

riuryK Regular Member

Programmer
    Hi there,

I just broke my VTT 2011 today, and was considering buying a new one, but the 2011 colection is no longer available here, just the 2012. Has anyone had a chance to play with the new VTT 2011. I cannot find any difference apart from the color (2012 seems a little bit darker).

Thanks.

3. dr_lager

dr_lager Regular Member

Is there a 2012 model? I've only seen the 2010 and the 2011. I've played with both. I can't see too much difference (even though there was a mention above of it being slightly heavier). The 2011 is a bit darker than the 2010 model - with black grip rather than white as I mentioned above, and feels a *little* bit stiffer. But otherwise I think I'm going to be quite happy with it.

4. DreamSeeker

DreamSeeker Regular Member

Hi everyone, I have my eyes on the VTE recently, but after a quick scan on the past replies it seems the VTT also quite a good option. I have some questions to ask, will be very good to hear some advice from you guys.

1, Are there any difference between the past VTE and VTT compare to the 2011 versions which on sell at shops atm?

2, If yes, what are the difference and is it a significant improve or opposite?

I currently have a pair of NS9900 and looking for a head heavy, offensive racket. I mainly play doubles and a smasher. Tried the 900P the other day and felt pretty good for me. But instead of buying a 900P I'm more keen to try a Carlton. So can anyone suggest whether I shall buy a VTT or VTE? and try to find the 2010 version or just stick with the 2011s?

Many Thanks!!

5. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

VTTs are even-balanced, so not what you're looking for. The VTElite (or the Razor V1.1, if you prefer the feel) is head heavy, stiff (but not too much) and is probably your best bet if you want a carlton. Differences between the versions amount to ... 1 gram? :p Not much. You could make more of a difference by choosing thinner or thicker strings ...

6. DreamSeeker

DreamSeeker Regular Member

hey, thanks!!! so what are the difference between VTE and Razor 1.1? which one you will say is better?

7. SolsticeOfLight

The difference is the stringing. The razor has the around-the-edge stringing which THEORETICALLY makes the string-bed 'livelier'. It's become relatively popular amongst carlton users, but I really think it's down to preference. The razors have the old spec (not that it makes a difference :p ).

8. Masch78

Masch78 Regular Member

IT Company
    Help needed

Hi Folks!I broke my VTT (2010 Version) today and need a new racket asap. Right now I'm not sure which one it will be.I'm an intermediate player who plays 70-80% doubles (mostly smasher), the rest singles. I loved my VTT but in terms of control and maneuverability. Smashing on the other hand lacked some power - not dramatically but I missed the last punch. Now for that reason I thought the Elite or the Razor V1.1 might be an option but I people say it is too hard to play. I also played an Ariblade Rasmussen Superlite, which is stiffer than the VTT but both are even balanced. I like the Rasmussen as well but I thought the VTT suited me better (beside the power)How much difference is between the VTT and the Elite/Razor 1.1? Thanks a lot - currently I'm really out of ideas.

9. SolsticeOfLight

The elite is head heavier by far. You definitely won't find defensive manoeuvrability a plus point. It's a bit stiffer, which should suit the heavy head somewhat, but if you're looking to move to a somewhat similar racket to the tour, this isn't it. The elite/V1.1 are basically the same racket with alternative stringing.
    You could of course move to the new tour, which is almost the same (but not quite).

Other brands I would recommend: victor's super inside wave 36. Even balance slightly stiff, and in the test I did with it seemed to give plenty of repulsion which should enhance smashing.

10. Masch78

Masch78 Regular Member

IT Company
    Hi, basicly I want to stuck with Carlton - I play them for several years now and I've never been disappointed - Victor is too expensive here, 1/3 over the Carlton rackets.

So, my tendency after sleeping over it again is the VTT 2011 version with ZyMax 67 strings. I thought the old VTT should be slighty stiffer, now it looks like the new versions is a little bit that way. A stiffer VTT is my absolute dream racket - well the Kinesis could be as well but will be too expensive ;).

11. SolsticeOfLight

Most people are saying the difference between the versions is very small, so see if you can try it out before you buy.
    Also, there's a variation from racket to racket, so if you can try out multiple of the same racket, it might be worth it to find the best one of the bunch :p

12. timboo

timboo Regular Member

Hi everyone I have joined the forum as I need a new racket.

I previously owned an airblade 2000 back in 1998 and an airblade rasmussen around the same time.
    Both rackets were magic until some thief decided to break into my car.

I currently have a yonex mp 100 and an armortec 800of. For some reason I have never bonded with them so the time has come to return to Carlton and I'm seeking saomething similar to the characterisits of me airblades.

In simple terms will the vapour trail elite perform similar?

My old airblade used to weigh in at 91g with a balance of 305mm and was very stiff.

Any view would be magic. P.s I appreciate I will never get my 30lb tension I used to get out of the airblades.

13. timboo

timboo Regular Member

sorry should have said I am a power player and I play both singles and doubles. I have nver managed to generate the same amount of power with my Yonex.

14. Guillaumeg

Guillaumeg Regular Member

Timboo,

I own a VTE gold edition.(around 89 gr.)
    It also is very stiff and head heavy, although is doesn't feel as heavy as it BP indicates. (longer handle something to do with it?)
    The quality is very good, strung it at 28lbs easily.

Try to test one because it isn't a all-round neutral racket. You'll love or hate it.
    The advantage is: several just-as-new VTE's are sold (check buy and sell) due to previous reason...

Good luck

15. timboo

timboo Regular Member

thanks for that 89g is prob ideal for me as i remember the rasmussen being a fraction lighter. you wouldnt happen to know the balance measurment with factory grip on the vte as the carlton web site is not the most useful. i will av a gander on buy/sell many thanks.

16. timboo

timboo Regular Member

just had a look on the for sale section there one on there for £40 delivered but it has 3 chips which look quite nasty i shall keep looking

17. Guillaumeg

Guillaumeg Regular Member

I measured it once without grip, it was around 320mm, so with a standard grip still 305 or more I think. You need a good technique to use it, a very good technique.

Read Danstevens and Kwun's review around page 7 and 11 I think...or try to test it on a tournament...

18. timboo

timboo Regular Member

thanks for the info that is a very long balance indeed u were spot on with p7 and saved me reading tens of pages. The racket almost sounds like the steroid pumped up version of my ol airblade. i like the sounds of it. has anyone strung one to 28lbs?

19. timboo

timboo Regular Member

just realised u have already had it at 28lbs sounds good to me

20. Cycril

Cycril Regular Member

any idea on buying it in malaysia instead of web-purchasing?