Viktor Axelsen

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by LD rules!, Apr 25, 2010.

1. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

He just beat Bao chun lai from china!:eek:
    Amazing gameplay from this young men... bright future indeed.
    His 1st super series and he reached the quarter final already:eek:

MAS junior or back up player should make this as a good example to follow.

2. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Wow, I must say I am surprised he beat BCL. george@chongwei, is Viktor still using the VT80?

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    2011 Singapore Open SS Round 2: Viktor Axelsen defeated Bao Chunlai

2011 Singapore Open SS Round 2:
    Viktor Axelsen defeated Bao Chunlai 23-21, 21-15 in 42 minutes.

Congratulations to Viktor Axelsen !!! :):):)

IMHO, it's always better for the winner to do the handshake with opponent first, before celebrating with coach.

Poor Bao Chunlai was left at the net wanting to congratulate Viktor, when Viktor went to celebrate with his coach first. :(:(:(

4. -Berg

-Berg Regular Member

a young gun, young age, prime stamina.. what a durability this man has, winning against Chun Lai after crawling from qualifying matches..
    superb physical endurance. or its just he's new that many players still can't read his style and his weaknesses meanwhile he got superb tip and strategy guide from the coach that knows today's top player habit very well..

apart from that, this is still very very remarkable achievement

5. Mikkelmortensen

Mikkelmortensen Regular Member

Were can you see the livestream from singapore?

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

livestream from singapore

http://www.fromsportcom.com/

7. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    not his first SS !
    he played FO and DO last year, it's his first Asian SS ;)

8. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Ok.. add another word Asian with that. After the match, i manage to chat with him. I told him to continue his killing run for this tournament. He told me for sure he will!:D...

9. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    amazing, he'll be up to something like 35 in world now, and realisitically is a top 20 player. Be fascinating to see him against Zhengming.

10. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    next one is Wang Zhengming...

11. -Berg

-Berg Regular Member

who just beat taufik hidayat.. too bad i that want axelsen to beat taufik later (will be a rising young star beating a former phenomenal young star) but he's already defeated by zhengming

12. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

WZM nowadays is a better player than BCL. BCL went off the boil after OG08 has never really been a great player since then.

It will be a great match to watch, with contrasting styles. WZM is very aggressive, whereas Viktor is quite an allround player with a very good defence. It will be interesting.:)

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It's the West versus the East

It's the West versus the East. Between these 2 players at the 2011 Singapore Open SS, I believe Viktor can defeat WZM.

Let's wait for another 24 hours to tell. :):):)

14. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

It is a great result for him:)

However, I think you have to cut him some slack, he beat one of the best players of the last ten years in his first Asian SS event. He has played several games before this one, in which he wasn't expected to get past the first game.
    Further more, he is 17, I would celebrate as well with my coaches first if I beat BCL when I wasn't expected to beat anyone.

In fact Viktor did BCL a favour:) if I was BCL after that match, I wouldn't want to leave the court and have to face up to (a guarenteed) telling off from LYB.:) Scary

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

In a match, pay more attention to your opponent, and less to yourself

I hope Viktor is reading my comment; In a match, pay more attention to your opponent, and less to yourself. ;););)

Don't leave an opponent waiting for you at the net for your handshake.

16. green_day

green_day Regular Member

I just watched Axelsen's game against Zhengming Wang. I was surprised at how much he has improved his footwork. I watched another video of him practicing with Woong Chong Han from 2 years back and Axelsen's footwork was not very good - it wasn't smooth or balanced. The Denmark coaching staff has really worked on Axelsen's footwork and the difference is very noticeable.

Axelsen's strength is definitely his smash. He is already pretty tall for the pro circuit so his smashes get very good angle. Plus, he has very good power on his smash.

He has three noticeable weaknesses though, compared to the top players. One is his consistency. He hit a few lob shots from the net that were several inches out. He will naturally improve on his consistency with more training and experience so this is not a big issue. His second weakness is his line judgement. There was a shot that Wang hit that was several inches in and Axelsen misjudged it (compare this to Lin Dan who can consistently judge shots to within an inch). His line judgement will naturally improve with more experience so that's not a big deal either.

His third weakness though is his form. The Denmark coaching staff need to fix his form. Axelsen has very stiff form - his form is not fluent or smooth at all compared to say, Peter Gade. Axelsen's form is so stiff, he cannot mask his shots well and the other opponents can read his shots. Ironically, the opposite of Axelsen is Peter Gade who has a very smooth form and is thus deceptive. Peter Gade can still play at the top level at 35 years of age because his form is so natural. But if the Denmark coaching staff can fix Axelsen's footwork, I assume they can eventually fix his form. Maybe they should also have Peter Gade help out in fixing Axelsen's form.

Otherwise, Axelsen has a very bright future in front of him. If he fixes the above 3 weaknesses (better defense would be nice too), I don't see why he can't be a top 10 player or even a top 5 player.

17. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Watched his game, I must say Axelson would be the true heir of PG to be the next DAN top player, instead of JOJ. he could be a real candidate to the world's leading player in future.

he got the height like ZJH & MF, good skill in general, good sense...

CHN got CL, WZM; DAN got Axelson. We still could not see any real potential young guns from other countries like IND, KOR or MAS...

18. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

By the way, looks like Axelsen is still using the VT80 - just watching his match against Zhengming Wang and pretty sure he's using the VT80.

Anyway, his footwork definitely needs improvement, but he's got plenty of time to work on that.

19. madbad

madbad Regular Member

And then he came a cropper against WZM. Nerves? Overconfidence? Wrong strategy? Maybe a bit of everything plus you have to give credit to WZM for playing an excellent match. Axelsson is still very young and has much to learn. I was thinking during the match "What's the rush? Got a flight to catch?"

20. Ton-Min-Bad

Ton-Min-Bad Regular Member

Axelsen himself said that he was too nervous to get some sleep before the match against BCL. This could also be a reason that affected his game even one day later against WZM.

Although WZM played a very good match, I don't think that he would win that easily if Viktor's in good form.

#120 Ton-Min-Bad, Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2011