Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
  2. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    LCW addicted to shopping, that's how he spends all his money, he says..:D

3. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=2]What’s all the fuss about Lin Dan?[/h]
    http://www.bam.org.my/index.php?opt...about-lin-dan&catid=46:latest-news&Itemid=181

EXCERPTS:

World No. 1 Lee Chong Wei is in no mood to find out the reasons behind Lin Dan’s continued absence from the international scene.

He’d rather let sleeping dogs lie.

The China ace has not taken part in any tournament since defeating Chong Wei in the men’s singles final of the London Olympic Games in August.

“I have no comment on this matter. He must have his own reasons for skipping the tournaments. I’d rather stay focused on my own game,” Chong Wei said after a training session at Juara Stadium in Bukit Kiara yesterday.

Two-time Olympic champion Lin Dan’s name was removed from the list just before the closing date for the All-England ended on Thursday – sparking a series of rumours, including being ill-prepared and souring his relationship with the China BA.

The All-England, the oldest badminton tournament, will be held from March 5-10 in Birmingham.

It will still boast a strong field, including Lin Dan’s younger team-mates – Chen Long, Du Pengyu, Chen Jin, Wang Zhengming, Gao Huan and Chen Yuekun.

Asked if it would be easier for him to win his third All-England title without Lin Dan in the fray, Chong Wei said that he would never take any tournament, or opponent, lightly.

“There’ll be other regulars – players I am familiar with. It’s important to be ready against anyone at any time,” said Chong Wei, who won the All-England titles in 2010 and 2011.

In the 100th edition of the All-England in 2010, he defeated a stubborn Kenichi Tago of Japan in the final. In 2011, he showed his class with a straight-game win over Lin Dan in the final to prove that he can beat his nemesis in a major tournament.

The 30-year-old Chong Wei agreed that expectations would be higher on him to win the All-England title, especially after bagging the season’s first two tournaments – Korean Open and Malaysian Open.

“I didn’t feel my age during those two tournaments. I felt like a 26-year-old. I’m looking forward to another good year,” he quipped.

Chong Wei, however, promised not to rest on his laurels.

“I am flying off to Jakarta tomorrow (today). I’ll play two matches – on Sunday and Monday. I’ll be back home on Tuesday. I don’t want to overstrain myself,” said Chong Wei, who will play for the Musica Champion club owned by former world champion Hariyanto Arbi.

“I’ve been given five days’ break for Chinese New Year. But I’ll get down to doing some light training after just two days. I can already picture all the good food. I don’t want to gain weight.

“This year, I’ll celebrate Chinese New Year with my wife (Wong Mew Choo) here in Kuala Lumpur.

“Yes, it will be different as I’ll be celebrating it as a husband and a father-to-be.

“And, I’ll also have to give out ang pows for the first time,” added Chong Wei with a hearty laugh.

Chong Wei and Mew Choo are expecting their first child in May.

Great guy to watch as a complete person.. Good character.. :)

4. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=2]Lee: Indonesian stint good preparation for team events[/h]http://www.bam.org.my/index.php?opt...r-team-events&catid=46:latest-news&Itemid=181

EXCERPTS:

There is a saying that “no man is an island”.

And world No. 1 men’s singles shuttler Lee Chong Wei is hoping that the participation of his younger compatriots in the Indonesia Super League, starting tomorrow, will teach them to be good team players.

Chong Wei and 20 other national players – 10 men and 10 women – left for Jakarta today to compete in the league.

The 30-year-old Chong Wei is hoping that the outing would strengthen Malaysia’s team morale, spirit and unity ahead of the Sudirman Cup, which will be held at the Putra Stadium from May 19-26, and next year’s Thomas Cup, which Malaysia last won in 1992.

Chong Wei is the star attraction of the Musica Champion’s club while the others will play under the Malaysia Tigers Badminton Club baner in the six-day competition.

The 10 players in the men’s team are Liew Daren, Chong Wei Feng, Mohd Arif Abdul Latif, Goh Soon Huat, Hoon Thien How-Tan Wee Kiong, Lim Khim Wah-Goh V Shem, Mohd Lutfi Zaim Abdul Khalid-Teo Kok Siang.

The women’s team consist of Tee Jing Yi, Lydia Cheah, Sonia Cheah, Yang Li Lian, Amelia Anscelly-Soong Fie Choo, Marylen Ng Poau Leng-Shevon Lai Jemie, Vivian Hoo-Erica Khoo Pei Shan.

The format is similar to the Thomas Cup and Uber Cup where a tie is decided over five matches – three singles and two doubles.

“It’s great that I’m not the only one to play in this league. They have allowed Malaysia to send two teams – men’s and women’s.

“All 20 of them are our next echelon of players and this is a great platform for them to have a feel of a team event,” said Chong Wei.

“The Indonesia Super League is of high quality. I’ve played there before.

“This time they’ve invited many other top foreign players, including Kenichi Tago (Japan), Lee Hyun-il (South Korea) and Nguyen Tien Minh (Vietnam).

“Our youngsters should use this platform as preparation for the Sudirman Cup and Thomas Cup.

\
    “This is one of the best places to learn.”

The other top names include Boonsak Ponsana of Thailand, Wong Wing Ki of Hong Kong. Two clubs – Tonami and Unisys – are represented by Japan’s men’s shuttlers.

In the women’s competition, Djarum probably will be the strongest as they have Germany’s Juliane Schenk and reigning Malaysian Open champion Tai Tzu-ying in their ranks.

Two clubs – Renesas and Unisys – are represented by Japanese shuttlers while Korean Ginseng will be powered by Bae Sung-jee.

“The league in Indonesia is popular and draws top names because it offers good money. I will be playing for Musica in only two matches this season. They offer US$30,000 per win,” said Chong Wei, who’ll be facing Daren in his first match.

Chong Wei, who will also play in this year’s China League in September, has decided not to compete in the inaugural Indian Badminton League (IBL) in June and may skip the Axiata Cup so as to focus on the World Championships in Guangzhou in August.

For the record, the team will be accompanied by singles and doubles coaches Hendrawan and Paulus Firman.

The grouping

MEN

Group A
    : Jaya Raya, Musica Champion, SGS PLN, Tonami Badminton, Malaysia Tigers Badminton. Group B: Jaya Raya Suryanaga, Mutiara Bandung, Djarum. Tangkas Specs, Unisys Badminton.

WOMEN

Group A
    : Jaya Raya, Mutiara Bandung, Unisys Badminton, Malaysia Tigers Badminton. Group B: Jaya Raya Suryanaga, Djarum, Korean Ginseng Corporation, Renesas Badminton.

5. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    after his lost to Liew Daren, how much LCW can pocket now??

6. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

wow, future LCW in the making?
    [video=youtube;KPfp2yBy4JQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPfp2yBy4JQ[/video]

7. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

I must say... those selected points really showed Daren playing really well... but I can't really comment on LCW's performances, those deuce points certainly showed LCW's normal playing style where he wanted to win but I really cannot be sure what caused LCW to be in such a position. Maybe he made too many errors or something and thus wasn't 'interesting' enough to be included in the video?

8. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

I did remember in some article where LCW said he'll 'show the Msian team what is team-play'. Something like that. But that doesn't mean I discredit Darren's skills.

9. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Aiyah, to me 7 SS wins per annum is equivalent to 1 world champion, and 8 SS wins equals 1 Olympic gold. 10 SS wins per annum is having both titles. Hehe.. But of course, if can get all 3 achievements is much better la..

10. zamrioo2

zamrioo2 Regular Member

technician
    so many Malaysians condemn LCW... why, because they are comparing what LD have and what LCW dont... and the only LD that LCW cant beat... i met a france guy at Msian Open who sit beside me, said that he come to MO to watch LCW in court eventhough many star players not participate... strange, how the france man like LCW but Msian man always lower him down

11. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Just check out some of the previous discussion in this thread. Some feel it is their god given right to condemn since LCW is representing MY.

If LCW wins ... it ok, it is expected out of him
    If LCW loses ... **** he brought down MY, useless, always lose to LD etc etc etc

We need more sports fan like this in MY :confused:

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    nah. LCW's mind is not even in the match. just walking around.

13. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Possibly thinking of reunion with his wife and family to celebrate CNY..;) where he will give ang pow for the very first time..:cool:

14. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Does anybody know where to watch the full match?

15. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    While a couple of badminton keen observers have noted that Daren's smash is nothing to shout about (some say no or too little of forearm pronation), it is however not the case that is Daren's major obstacle that would make Daren shine if this obstacle is concurred. While forearm pronation is the gold standard and conventional and mainstream orthodox, players like Zhao Jianhua who minimalized usage of forearm pronations is the superb exception and shining example .

Where for on the other hand, concentration is of utmost importance in singles and doubles, but I dare say singles is the most demanding in terms of concentration and focusing, and right now this is Daren's achilles' heel impeding his improvement and rise in quality of play. Players who depend less on forearm pronation usually as always, possess a very flexible and elastic wrist work, as seen from Daren's backhand serves.

#9215 Pakito, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  16. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    The grueling duel in which LCW overcamed a superbly crafty LD was the Korean Open 2012 final. LD's crafty drives had LCW scurrying all 4 corners with his court craft. LCW fired at LD 250km/h smashes and yet LD retrieved them. LD fired his stinging smashes and although LCW's dive retrievals were successful, LD was even faster coming to the net to tap it down. LCW's nettings tumble over the net, and LD answered with identical tumbles as well too. LCW changed tactics to lobs and LD answered with his pin point lobs too. LCW let go and LD's lobs tinged at the corner intersecting lines. So all smashes, nets, retrievals and lobs were unequaled to LD's. LD was a class above. But then, it seemed LCW never gave up and held his composure in 2nd game. Even at 15-all, LCW still had oomph in him to win the 2nd. In the 3rd game, LCW's smashes were back at his sideline accuracy. For a bonus, even his netting became far superior to LD. LCW no longer relied on drops and lobs, but attack with smashes most of the time and it was LD who played a more rallied game. It almost seemed that LCW played a poker 1st game letting LD played superior only to find out in the decider that the marathon LCW suddenly shot ahead to the finishing line 18-11 lead. The game ended triumphantly with a gallant body smash to LD. It also seemed that LD did not want or did not want to continue chasing the match deficits. I would say this was the game that LCW continued to persevere with a mental win, not so much as a power win.

#9216 Pakito, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  17. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Well I think his smashes are just fine and powerful. In French Open they were used a lot effectively. Some people just want to nit pick on petty issues. The idea of the smash is to force opponents into making mistakes /weak returns or directly win a point. It it achieves this purpose does not matter how Darren executes them.

18. zamrioo2

zamrioo2 Regular Member

technician
    LD and CL powerful smash also didn't work on LCW at OG 2013... u can see how LD play not as normal when he face LCW untill LYB yelling crazily at the 3rd set... hahahaa... DPYu smash also didn't work at him when Korean Open 2013... i might say that top 4 of China single players got powerful smash and efectively being a weapon to others players... but to defeat LCW they must to strategize another way rather of smash...

19. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Yes I really think LCW should equip himself with LD's 'clip it down-smash' which is seldom seen if any, in other players. In fact I trying to use it myself too. While experimenting for the umpteen time, I only manage to execute it once and everyone was amazed at how fast the 'clip it down smash' came down the floor with a fraction of the full body smash power (probably 50-60%). The trick is to be at the intercepting position of the shuttle flight as early as possible and diminishing out all unnecessary body movements that cut down execution time etc shoulder rotation, forearm pronation, body weight shifting, aiming the direction of the racket face before contact, all these is minimized. And after all these are taken out, what is left of power is only from the whip of the racket head and the power from your wrist. It's not easy I tell you, but it can be done.

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton-Malaysian Lee hoping to find prodigy at new tournament

Thomson Reuters

February 24, 2013 06:00

Feb 24 (Reuters) - With Lee Chong Wei entering the closing chapters of his illustrious career and a dearth of men's talent coming through in Malaysia, the world number one said he would host an annual tournament to find his replacement.

The Lee Chong Wei Cup
    will be a nationwide junior tournament held in his homeland, the London Olympic silver medallist and only Malaysian in the men's top 10 said.

"It is my dream to see another Chong Wei groomed in this country before I retire. Together with the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM), I plan to host the Lee Chong Wei Cup," the 30-year-old told reporters in Malaysia.

"It will be good if I can start it later this year or early next year. And I want it to be an annual affair.

"I want it to be held in every state. Currently, in our academy there are not many singles players coming through and that is a real concern for me."

Lee lost a second Olympic final to his great rival Lin Dan of China last year and hinted at retirement but the twice Commonwealth Games gold medallist showed he still had something to offer by claiming the $1 million Korea Open last month.

He followed that up with a ninth Malaysian Open title and is confident of claiming a third All-England crown next month with little sign that the pressures of carrying a nation's hopes is affecting his play.

And should his tournament prove a fruitless search for talent, Lee could always look closer to home.

"We are expecting a baby boy,"
    he said. (Reporting by Patrick Johnston in Singapore, editing by Amlan Chakraborty)

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/...ian-lee-hoping-find-prodigy-at-new-tournament