Li Yongbo ( 李永波 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Han, Nov 11, 2007.

1. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I don't know what the hell you are talking about. My blog??? :eek: What the hell is that?

Ben Johnson or Marion Jones, any difference? OK, are Americans proud of Marion Jones?

2. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

If there is no "limited entries", then definitely there will be match fixing. It's not about China. Any country where many ppl can benefit (I mean real benefit, like money or power, not some useless national pride) from an Olympic gold will do some match fixing if it has many players in the final 32.

3. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Ah, by the way, my home country is China. That's why Marion Jones didn't come to my mind, because I don't have much time to care about what happens in US. The Ben Johnson thing happened when I was a kid, back then I have time to read all those "news".

But I am a proud man. In China we say a real man would rather starve than eat food given to him condescendingly. I hate to see my home country win by cheating, especially when there in fact is decent chance that we can win fair and square.

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The Olympics is a sporting event where the objective is to get every nation on the planet to participate. If only the very best are chosen the spirit of the Olympics will die, as in some events you will end up with participants from only one country. As a matter of fact even individual sports organizations are trying to change their rules to limit the sports from being dominated by a single country and to bring in more countries. China have always cried foul about rules changes to table tennis, which they think are attempts to stop their dominance in the game.

5. V3i HoN6

V3i HoN6 Regular Member

Very well said. Point taken. But you failed to understand that the Olympic games is a country based games rather than the individual at the first place. I hate to break this to you but once you figure out the differences, all your not fair treatment and XXZ and XXF not able to play points was inane. You were arguing on a wrong ground at the first place.

It's like in World Cup and Brazil asking to send in 2 teams instead of letting Togo, Ghana or some Asian plays because their 2nd or even 3rd teams is better. Heck we can even put in another Argene or Italian or Germany team instead of the U.S. Oliver Kahn was way better keeper than most of other teams' gollies but Germany only need 1 keeper that is Jens Lehnman. Blame the coach for picking Jens(LD) over Olivi(XXZ) but it is the nature of a game like this, which the Olympic games too. Or should we have the Olympic game's basketball event playing by all the NBA teams instead of the China team or whatever.

I know it's not a very good example but you get the idea.

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I cannot see any difference between your position and Lazybuddy, as they are similar in direction but different in ways of expressing them.

7. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    err.......:rolleyes:
    should be "May the country always win and conquer the badminton arena"

8. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

I agree with oldhand. LYB 's job's on the line if he didn't deliver.See how some BFers always proclaim what a great coach(probably the most successful CHN coach according to some?) he is based on results?They don't say how great CHN is first.So LYB 's doing it for himself FIRST in his mind but publicly he will say he's doing it for the country because it is so honourable and how can anyone disagree if it's for the country? Try not to be conned.

9. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

V3i s point is very clear.Isn't Olympics about competition among the best from each country for each sport? It's not about competition among the best for each sport? The logic is if the Olympian is really the best, he will come out the winner even if he were a lone ranger.OG04 proved it.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    On a technical aspect, i have said before OG isn't the best event to judge individual talent. Because the OG is often seen by the gerneral public as the biggest sport event in the world, people tend to associate the winners as the best in the world. As for me, I often look upon winners from the Open (All England, Japan Open, and WC (although they allow 4 entries per coutnry)) for example as a better gauge of individual talent. Because the OG comes every 4 years, even the very best can be out of luck if they didn't peak at the right moment. For ex. Gold medalists Ji Xinpeng and Alan Budi Kusuma are the one i would say peaked at the right time. Surely there were better players than them in those era.

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    But at that particular point in time, the seemingly less illustrious triumphed over the rest of the crop and thus emerged as the Olympic Champion and created history!

That was the moment that counted, all other tournaments can be put aside. TH has experienced it all and he found it so satisfying and memorable that he is returing for an Encore four year later!

12. V3i HoN6

V3i HoN6 Regular Member

I'm sorry if I make you confuse but I try my best to clear it out.
    LazyBuddy been saying that it is unfair because it limited the entries per country and lead to some second best like XXZ and XXF unable to compete while some not so good player from other country get to compete. It's sound plausible but if you think of it as the Olympic game is an competitive ground for country vs ground then it is in fact not. Every country get to send their best player, but of course the country full of talents might have some dilemma choosing who is the best among their talent.

And to the top of this, his argument implies that, or being use for bananakids to justify that it is actually OK for LYB to implement match fixing because it is unfair at the first place (which I strongly disagree because of the nature of Olympic game).

I would absolutely agree with him if this rule bring to SS series but it is not the case on Olympic game, or other team events. Forget about the football example if you like. In a Thomas cup event, if ChenYu, ChenHong, dont get to play while Hafiz Hashim get to play as second single for Malaysia. Will you cry for unfairness? Or should we take out Russian, Germany or France and put in China second team and INA second team intead?

Exactly.

OG Indeed isn't the best event to judge individual talent because it didnt meant to. Can't blame the general public for having a wrong perception but the players and coaches themselves having this mis-perfection. We can clearly see that from their emphasizing on OG by gaining points of qualification and everything.

Ji Xinpeng and Alan may not be the number 1 in their times but it really doesn't matter. They grabbed the medal for their country and that is what really matters.

About who peak at the right time, the whole point of each and every single game in this world was to see who peak (sum of skills+luck) during that time, who be the champion of that time only. That's why we have OG 2000, 2004, 2008, 2012 and so on when we could have stop many years ago.

13. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Yep, that's quite what I was thinking... :p
    (http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=715865&postcount=204) :D

14. Green72(CAN)

Green72(CAN) Regular Member

I can see why the Olympics may not really look like a team event on the surface. The medals are awarded to individuals, not the country.

15. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

That is because Thomas cup is clearly an team event while the medal in Olympic are honored to the individual.

If you ask player like Chen Yu or Chen Hong whether you feel more disappointing for not able to participate TC or Olympic, I sure he will pick OG. It is simply because OG is the title all players desire MOST (doesn't matter if you agree or not that its judge an individual talent). It is a shame for players like them, who has a much greater chance to win than, for instant, players from Canada and not able to play.

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

FYI, IOC is a private enterprise, not UN sanctioned or an international governement recognized body. It is a highly marketed tournament. That is why it has the most scandals and back door politics. If an athlete feel the highest honor to win an olympic, that's because it is the most hyped sport event.

**Not so.
    federer, tiger wood, soccer elitists much prefer to win the US Open/wimbledon, US/British Open, World Cup, respectlvely, than a gold at the OG because these events reward individual performance rather than promoting their country. Take a look at some of the past olympic tennis winners, i doubt that they are the best in the world.

#136 cooler, Nov 15, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  17. nibaxiang

nibaxiang Regular Member

@Muddy_Elephant
    Funny points from some of the members, indeed.

:) If Olympics is about countries, then LYB is doing whatever possible for his country. What's wrong with that?

:) If Olympics is about individual best, then look at LB's point. Is it fair to put entry limits for each country? If there were no limits, playsers from china will most likely still take the gold.

Guys, you have to be reasonable. You can NOT just use whatever material to blame LYB, because you don't like what he did.

#137 nibaxiang, Nov 15, 2007
  18. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Please re-read. I am saying the OG is the title that BADMINTON PLAYERS desire most and regardless if you believe the title does reflect the actual ranking.

And my point is, since OG is viewed by most if not all players as the highest figure in badminton, how could some of the best skilled players in the world not allowed to play???

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

no problem now that u have clarified yourself. The quote in red did said 'ALL PLAYERS' and that what led me said what i've said. I

20. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..here are a couple of the pics, from the thread which cooler brought up, above(left is western thinking; right is eastern thinking):p;):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Anyways, about this LYB and the past Olympics "match-fixing" issue, i'm just hoping the spirit and integrity of the Olympic Games by the players, coaches, officials etc. will continue to shine in next yr's edition. And IF, if there should be any "cheatings/tampering etc"(directly or indirectly, intentionally or unintentionally) going on (by any countries or players), in time, it will be revealed, just like the recent debacle and embarrassment with Marion Jones.:(

#140 ctjcad, Nov 15, 2007