Juliane Schenk

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by cobalt, Jul 23, 2012.

1. phili

phili Regular Member

She lives in a world of her own and never really fit into the system, so let her have her way. She seems very stubborn and from what I have read she just refused every suggested compromise without any reasons. Today she was thrown completely out of the national squad. As I undestand this she now has to get all the money for her journeys to tournaments on her own and she is also banned from the national training center.

It will be interesting to see how she develops from now on. I actually think this way is the best way for her.

2. maehm

maehm New Member

hm, read on German Badzine site and on her own internet page that she will definitely not play the world championships, ... I think the situation is further escalating......
    We will see at the coming two tournaments (Indonesia and Singapore) how she will play, but I think all that trouble will effect her play... so an early exit will be not really a suprise under these conditions..... maybe she proofs me different....

3. swunk

swunk Regular Member

Huge congrats to Julianne Schenk on reaching the Indonesia Open Final by beating Saina Nehwal in the semi-final! Best of luck for her tomorrow although i personally think that Li Xuerui is a mountain too high to climb for her...

4. Henzington

Henzington Regular Member

Student
    I think she can adapt and counter the opponents play without a coach. She absolutely destroyed Saina Nehwal in the second set.

5. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Juliane was a hot mess against Saina today. Winning 7 points in a row in the first set to go up 12-6, she goes on to lose 15 (fifteen) points in a row to lose the set 12-21. She then starts the second set by winning the first 6 points.

Well, it will be interesting to follow Juliane the rest of the season. I guess a player of her caliber should have all the possibilities of finding sponsors and make it as an individual player.

6. Hagen

Hagen Regular Member

Banker
    Congrats to Juliane.
    Coming from Germany I am very disappointed of the situation with her and the national association. Having such a successful talent it has to be possible to find a solution everybody can live with.
    Although Julie is not alone - two other players also quitted to work with DBV, which is a clear sign that the 'official' badminton world in Germany unfortunately is not working well.
    To my guess Juliane will continue to follow her own way.
    I wish her all the best and every time I speak to her she is very positive, so hopefully we see her in future.

7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Who are the "two other" players supposed to be then?

Don't quite remember how the German olympic funding worked but, if it was like ours, not going to the WC seems not the cleverest thing to do. Of course the reason for not going could be a completely financial one now ...
    But this SSP result might be good enough already to entitle her to the highest level of funding from the German NOC [​IMG]

8. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    So Juliane Schenk is just another Martina Navratilova in badminton scene.

A female homosexual! :eek::eek: It explains few things then (at least for myself)!

9. ein_roboter

ein_roboter Regular Member

Student
    She is a very inspirational player; a true fighter on court, but very humble and full of sportmanships. Even more incredible that she reached the final of the Indonesian Open without coaching. It's sad how things worked out with her and the German badminton association.

10. Hagen

Hagen Regular Member

Banker
    The other two players are Karin Schnaase and Lisa Heidenreich.

Regarding the funding of players I tell you a secret: the best support Germany can give to a player is to employ him/her in the army. This is what Juliane also has: an official job as a higher degree army member.

A direct sponsoring of NOK could be an option, however I could understand if the NOK does not take a position between the national badminton association and Juliane.

11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Schnaase already announced her retirement from international badminton a long time ago didn't she? Must've been because of too many injury problems and time to move on shouldn't it? Pretty sure I read about it well before any issues with Schenk surrounding the Sudirman Cup participation ...
    And yes, I was aware of the Bundeswehr thing, we used to have something similar on a much smaller scale but pretty much obsolete because of budget cuts.

12. Hagen

Hagen Regular Member

Banker
    You are right regarding the timing of Schnaase, however the relation between Germany's Badminton Association and players in general made it easier for her to quit.
    Sad that it is not possible to find a way both sides are comfortable with.

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Juliane was the mainstay of the team during the European Team Championships. Without her it would be safe to say Germany didn't stand a chance for their historic win.

DBA didn't apparently have any issues with her playing and even doing double-duty, and her unique situation vis-a-vis coaches and her personal life was no secret either, back then.

I cannot see this entire drama as being a loss to Juliane very much. She is a very fit athlete, but age is not on her side. Still, she has reached her highest-ever BWF ranking. She is playing the best badminton of her life. As long as she has the monetary backing of her sponsors there is nothing to prevent her from playing when, where and how she wants. SS/SSP winnings also help, and she's making a decent living from reaching the semis/finals regularly.

The loss is the DBA's and the German national team's, and it does appear this could have been prevented by some considerate gestures all round.

14. phili

phili Regular Member

I'm pretty sure she will lose this funding now that she has been thrown out of the national squad. As far as I know being part of the national squad is essential to be a sport soldier in Germany.

15. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Juliane celebrates her split from the DBV by achieving the BWF #2 world ranking this week, in Womens Singles!

16. Ton-Min-Bad

Ton-Min-Bad Regular Member

^A historical moment in German badminton and the official website of the DBV tries to celebrate Marc's 14th rank instead. It's so ridiculous!

17. bdfreak87

bdfreak87 Regular Member

18. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Juliane left the German team!!! I don't believe it!!!

19. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

They've had problems for ages. I'm surprised it's taken this long.

20. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    World meet will be a more open affair, says Schenk

By KNG ZHENG GUAN
    Wednesday July 17, 2013

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badminton/2013/07/17/World-meet-will-be-a-more-open-affair.aspx

Excerpts:

...“China, as the hosts, will definitely have the advantage and always do well when it comes to major events like the World Championships or the Olympics,” said Schenk, who is one of the few players to have beaten all the top Chinese shuttlers.

“But I believe that this year will be different ... the world meet will be a more open affair, even if I’m not competing.

...“I definitely believe that it will not be a one-sided affair because the world meet is different compared to the Super Series events as each country can only have a limited number of players competing. That should trim China’s advantage.

“Personally, I’m rooting for Intanon because she’s my favourite player. She came close to winning the All-England. Perhaps, this time she’ll come away with the world title.”