Zymax strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Lobeh, Jul 24, 2009.

1. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    Its possible that he actually broke the string while pulling if there were damaged grommets though. But then again that should be up to him to look for that.

As a stringer, I wouldn't recommend ZM62 to anyone I string for mainly because most of them mishit a lot and most judge stringjobs by the time they last (like Sevex said).

2. Warlock86

Warlock86 Regular Member

Have anyone gotten zymax 65 strings from Squash mart?

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Unlikely, given I supplied the string and I don't think he has any ZM-62.

4. blableblibloblu

student
    How does that make it unlikely that a damaged grommet could break/fray the string while pulling?

5. visor

visor Regular Member

For sure! I get my strings, grips, socks, rackets from Eric. :)

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Because if the string had broken, I would not have received my racket back with that string. ;)

7. blableblibloblu

student
    I see... he still might've had some experience with it and doesn't carry it anymore.

8. Warlock86

Warlock86 Regular Member

I am thinking of ordering the package of 10 strings from him. Usually, how do you store those strings? Somehow, I only need like 3-4 strings.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Eh? Then just order only a few strings, you don't need to order ten if you don't want. ;) Storage, just cool and dark place.

10. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    can't wait to use my old rackets with the Zymax strings again. will go back to Indonesia after 4 and 1/2 months studying Chinese language in China

got one of my eye hurt, my father didn't allow me to bring my rackets to China. and now I ended up with crappy unknown Chinese racket with factory string (around 16lbs or less I think)
    I have few more ZM62 and ZM67 on stock.

*can't wait to bring my racket and show off to my friends who have no clue what a good racket is. will bring my pp trinity pro and mx80 with rkep grip and zymax string!
    **me and my friends are playing with crappy £6 rackets here.. I bought the £20 one, still crappy, with plastic handle too add!

11. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

I've been testing out ZM67 red for sometime now. Ranging from 23-30 lbs. at 2 lbs. increments. It's an interesting string that's for sure.

I've come across similar issues with string movement as other members have, and compared to BG80, ZM67 does not notch into itself as much as other YY strings I've tried. I've used BG66UM and BG80 and both kind of 'fall' into a notch once you move it back to its original position, emphasizing the importance of straightening the strings after stringing and early matches. When I do a fast clear or smash, it feels kind of soft like a cushiony feel (like BG66UM) that you don't really feel with BG80.

When I smash, the best way I can describe it is it's a silent killer. The power is there, but it doesn't sound like it's coming; a good thing for deception but not as appreciated if you're really looking for that 'boom'. I also feel that I enjoy ZM67 at higher tensions than lower.

When I played with fresh BG80 at 27 lbs. using plastics, it felt like I was going to tear my shoulder apart; there was no way I could access the power at such high tensions, though it could have just been that the strings were newly strung. I did enjoy drives and dropshots though. With ZM67 at the same tension I felt more comfortable, again thanks to its cushiony feel. I actually preferred ZM67 at the net because I'm more familiar with softer strings for tumbling netshots and even for dropshots. I don't like the hard feeling of BG80 for this because I feel like there is less time for feedback (i.e. even though you should feel more impact, it rebounds quite quickly).

I've also tried ZM65 yellow at 23x25 and compared it to BG80 white at 23x25 and found that they played similarly. Though this time I felt I had better access to power with BG80. It could have simply been because of the less obvious sound ZM65 produces during smashes and clears, but I felt more accomplished with the BG80 because I received the auditory feedback.

More testing is required, and after reading tens of pages of various strings, I want to try the NBG98, BG80 (again), BG66UM and VS850 against both ZM65 (ivory, yellow) and ZM62 (ivory, yellow).

Now for me the cost of Zymax is by far the best value of all the strings, with VS850 a close second. I can get any reel of 200m Zymax for $72US, VS850 white for $84, BG80 for $110 and NBG98/BG66UM for $127.

I chose these strings mostly for their repulsion power to cost ratio while still being able to purchase them in reels, which is why I excluded Li-Ning since I couldn't find them in reels among other YY strings (e.g. BG85). Reels are important because you can theoretically get 20+ string jobs from them, I can get 22 myself from a full set of 200m which drives the cost down further.

Lastly there seems to be a slight bias towards certain colors for the Zymax strings. I haven't tested it myself but I'm planning to find out with two of every colour for ZM62 and ZM65 (in my research, these two are the most noteworthy). If I intend to string for my club however, I think ZM65 white/ivory will be the most suitable considering not everyone will want vibrant red strings on their beloved rackets.

12. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    my zm65 about to pop, zm70 lined up next. +2lbs for the same feel right?

so far i think you jump up 1lb per step in string thickness 70>67>65>62. not tried 67 yet though and very limited go with 70.

edit Re comment above: red tide all the way man!

13. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Just write Eric a message. I ordered a package of ten strings which include Zymax 62,65,67,70 (all red). He put them into foil. Very nice to stock at home and the price is unbeatable.

Actually I use Zymax 65 (red) on my SW 35 at 28 lbs. Very nice string. Holds tension quite good and is very repulsive. IMO it performs a bit like BG66 UM, but UM has a slightly better feeling when it's fresh, but lose tension quickly. Next time I will increase tension to 30 or maybe 32 lbs. For my liking is Zymax 65 a bit soft at 28 lbs.

14. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

Am 5 hours into a set of (red) ZM62, strung at 24lb. Repulsion & feel are great. No frays or breakages, even after mishits. Will be interesting to see how long before they go dead.

As for colour choices, I follow last year's F1 tyres: 62 is red (super-soft), 65 yellow, 67 white & 70 is black (hard).

15. swunk

swunk Regular Member

well my second stringing job of 65 zymax on BSLYD held for 3-4 weeks of 4 sessions a week play, then snapped. The tension didn't drop by much and the feel was good all the way. I guess it's ok for a '65 gauge string.
    Still ordered a pack of Li-ning NS30 from mbs, wanna give it a try )

16. TheNotoriousLIG

TheNotoriousLIG Regular Member

Student
    I have strung 9 racquets for 3 different people+myself. 2 of the 3 have got back to me within a week of receiving their racquets with their other racquets with other strings including bg80, bg80P, bg66, nbg98 etc. and asked me to cut the strings from them and string them with zymax 65 so it seems pretty popular here. The third person doesn't have anymore racquets. :D

17. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    even though I'm mad at zm65 for not lasting on plastics, and zm62 for being strung too tight, I'm still going to order a couple more of each in my next MBS order.

I don't like the 'all or nothing' power i get on and off the sweetspot but the power is nice when it works so i keep going back to it. strictly feathers only!

18. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

I'm liking the ZM62 more than the ZM65. It offers a bit more control and yet the same or more amount of power.
    I play plastics and feathers. Probably 70% plastics and have yet to break any strings.

19. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Plastics with ZM62! Wow...
    What do you string your racquets at?

20. visor

visor Regular Member

I'd be stringing after each session if i used ZM62 for plastics. :p