Is it Possible to Grow-out of a Racket?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Primpey, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Primpey

Primpey Regular Member

I started playing badminton again after an eight year break and I got myself a Nanoray 20 maybe six/seven months ago. It was great in the beginning but I feel like it lacks in areas such as maneuverability and control; especially with the retail string & tension. So like the title asks, is it possible to grow out of a racket to the point where I'm decreasing? my rate of improvement?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

yes, once you start to develop more power, you'll start to appreciate more accuracy eg. tight to the net serves, drives, counterattacks, placement etc...

that's when you'll need higher tension, rougher strings

easiest would be to restring first, then consider racket change later

3. Primpey

Primpey Regular Member

Since it's an entry-level racket, I didn't really want to invest so much into it if it can only produce a limited amount of results. If this was your racket, would you re-string it? Thanks for the response :)

4. visor

visor Regular Member

you're playing feather right?

do you know what string and tension is currently on it?

5. Primpey

Primpey Regular Member

If you mean feather as in feather shuttles, then sometimes. I'm not sure what the retail string is, but it does feel cheap and the tension is probably under 18 by now.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Answer: yes.

Change the strings first.

7. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    If you buy a midend racket you will also have these crappy stringing job. Try BG80 at around 24lbs and it will turn it into a different racket.

8. Halcyon.Days

Halcyon.Days Regular Member

Even BG65 @ 22lbs (or more) will be better than factory strings. Strings lose elasticity over use (and time). Fresh strings should do the trick.

9. Primpey

Primpey Regular Member

Thanks for all the input! So to move on, what would be an ideal string for me? I don't lack clear/lift power (played with friends BS12 w/ VS850 @ 26lbs), but I would like to see more control and consistency out of my string.

10. Halcyon.Days

Strings can be down to personal preference. The ideal string for one player may not work for another. And some are just deluded by brand names and marketing etc. What is ideal is if you could try a variety of strings and see what you like the most.

A good option, IMHO, is to try one of the BC populars - BG80, ZM65, BG66UM etc. If you've been playing with factory strings, then almost any string would be an 'upgrade'. Like I said before, even BG65 might yield better results for you.

If I had to pick for you, then either BG80 or BG65 @ 24lbs.

11. Primpey

Primpey Regular Member

Funny enough, I've played with both strings on the same racket (Adidas Precision 88). I did prefer the BG65>BG80 but that's maybe because the BG65 was freshly string @ 22lbs. Is there a noticeable difference between 22lbs and 24lbs? And do strings have a "sweet spot" for tension?

12. visor

visor Regular Member

Probably BG65 would be a good start. But VS850 would have better control because it's rougher.

13. Halcyon.Days

I would say yes there is a difference between 22lbs and 24lbs. Just like how there is a difference between 27lbs and 25lbs.

I don't think there is a "sweet spot" for strings per se. Yes the strings do come with recommended tensions etc but I think it all depends on the player. Having said that, some strings do perform "better" at certain tensions. For example, many argue that BG80 should be strung at least 24lbs etc. But at the end of the day, if BG80 at 22lbs is what you play well at then by all means.

14. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I did exactly the same. Now using a jjs on a good day, after a flit with brave swords. So yeah.

15. Primpey

Primpey Regular Member

Thinking about the BG70 Pro.. Would this be a good idea? I don't really want to restring every two months or so.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If this is the deal breaker for you, you need to use a string that has a diameter of greater than 0.7mm. Not equal but greater than.

A thicker string will last longer. But there is no absolute predictor. Strings will also last longer with lower tension.

Suggest you go to your local stringer and see what strings are available.