Badminton Vancouver

Discussion in 'Badminton Vancouver' started by bad-vancouver, Aug 2, 2011.

1. clinton

clinton Regular Member

sw engineer
    A lot have to do with cost and space. It's hard to find building with 22'+ height and most are warehouse type and you're limited to the layout
    of the building. The money part also may limit to build as much court space as possible.

Personally, I like to have a bar/lounge area like VRC where players can hang out afterward. Unfortunately, the liquor license is hard to get in US and the cost/space.

SBC does have a lounge area with TV (showing badminton videos or TV show), but most players still hang around gym area chatting after playing. It may have to do with SBC does not sell drinks such as vending machine.

2. Udonming

Udonming Regular Member

Am I talking to a wall here ?

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    heck. then you should place a computer terminal at the lounge that is permanently connected to BC. ;) :D :D

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    That would set up convection currents and affect the flight of the bird.

5. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

A snack bar should suffice. I'm not sure there is much demand for anything more. At VRC for example, I'm not sure how profitable the pro shop or the canteen have been. Most of the badminton players at VRC buy their supplies from HK and the Pro Shop simply can't compete in terms of cost. As for the canteen, I was a member there for 6 years and I don't remember buying a single meal from there. The bar on the other hand....

6. thunder.tw

They shouldn't be a factor. Any room is going to have an air flow. After all with out it you suffocate. You are going to set up a mini cyclone or anything.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    a starbucks.

just copy starbucks. serve drinks, coffee, fancy snacks. get local bakery to deliver scones, donuts, etc, everyday. and then stick that thing right inside the gym. don't put it at the entrance where nobody can see. stick it right at the gym sitting area.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

That's a great idea!

Open a franchise there, rent the space out, include an outdoor patio so that we can look at the passing barges...:D

Even the local workers in the industrial area may swing by for a caffeine fix. :D

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i mean seriously. combine the frontdesk, the equipment shop and the "starbucks".

afterall the front desk person isn't doing much most of the time, just probably checking facebook anyway.

10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    So! You been lurking near the seabed with only passive sonar... and now you decided its time to up periscope! :D:D:D

A large warehouse-type area will have some circulation, yes, but it can easily be the wrong kind of circulation; if you want to be really nit-picky because it's badminton we're talking about, then you need to ensure the vents are placed in positions that cancel out any drift. Not easy. You need strategically located roof vents IMO.

11. bad-vancouver

bad-vancouver Regular Member

LOL kwun. A coffee bistro is a good idea, grab your favourite espresso drink, sit down and just people watch. Vancouverites are well known for their affection for coffee. I'm not a fan of starbucks though, with their new machines, all the grinding, dosing and tamping is done internally inside the machine. Where is the hand crafted quality that a quality espresso drink needs?

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Second Cup is a nice company. Canadian too! Or Lettieri maybe? LOL. I would think all of that is a bit incidental; the on-court experience will bring the "returning customers" and not the coffee... :D

13. bad-vancouver

some delicious fruit smoothies would also go great, for those who want to be healthy. Protein added fruit smoothie anyone?

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Yeah, sounds good and healthy.

Also perhaps bubble tea would sell better than coffee to the mostly asian population.:cool:

15. bad-vancouver

kwun says no... :p

basically, badminton clubs nowadays needs to be upgraded to be truely a club in the westernize way

16. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    VRC is a private club though... entry is via an electronic key-locked lobby entrance. Even if the restaurant is good, which it isn't, no outside customers will be able to get in to eat there. However Pro shop is a necessary addition though. No respectable baddy facility can be without one. Community centers, however... have none. BV can seek partnership with a business to locate there rather than rent out the space so price would be competitive enough to get customers to buy. And these days not everybody buy their supplies from HK, the demographics has changed somewhat that pro shops could thrive. People still impulsive buy given the right price and presentation;).

17. thunder.tw

Well, I don't know what the business model is for Badminton Vancouver is. Talk about making it like a western style club would actually infer some type of non public structure (membership based).

I agree some kind of Pro Shop is a must but, I'd be surprised to hear of any recent pickup in business at the VRC proshop or any other gym. Yes you need one for the odd emergency shuttle purchase and you definately want on onsite stringer but, that's about it. When I was a member at VRC there was a big influx of those god awful SOSSAN (or some such name, black label). Now someone is distrubuting some discount brand from the PRC (Hanyu I think). So I'm not sure that the proshop at VRC has seen a pick up in business. Even as far as racquets go, it is still the rule rather than the exception that people are having raquets sent in from Asia. In fact, I'm sure that on my next visit to Vancouver our mutual friend GW will be asking me to carry in a few racquets for him. However, your there right now and I'm not so I'll defer to you on what the local scene is like in the GVRD.

Either way, I look forward to hitting a few shuttles with you at the new gym on my next visit.

18. thunder.tw

Nah, in the abscense of any forced air system you simply aren't going to have a big enough temperature gradient to create localised air flow strong enough to influence the shuttle. This is Vancouver we are talking about here. Maybe in Toronto you might have that problem but of course that would mean you're living in Toronto so life already sucks. Adding an aggrevating drift to the shuttle flight is but an insignificantly minor nuisance lost in an existence of unending misery.

..... down periscope.

19. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Thanks, thunder, that's all I needed! A subterranean lurker adding insult to injury! :crying::p:D

20. bad-vancouver

whoah...you sound like one of my engineers :D