Zymax strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Lobeh, Jul 24, 2009.

1. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    May i know which zymax string is the most popular?
    Where i can get review on zymax62?

2. dsmbooster

dsmbooster Regular Member

financial analyst
  3. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

looks like 2nd gen.

4. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

think someone mentioned before that platinum colour is first gen and being discontinued in most regions. hence why this is probably on huge discount.

5. someone

someone Regular Member

I believe Zymax 62 has higher playability than the 65,67,70 . And 1st gen Zymax has more playability than 1st gen. But how about.... "2nd gen Zymax 62 vs first gen Zymax 67 in term of overall playability?" Any opinion?

6. Cillu

Cillu Regular Member

Racquet Tech
    Looks like second gen to me.

7. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    Hello anyone!!

8. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

are you being serious? There's like 400 reviews of that string in this thread an you've been too lazy to look for it...

9. Nauroa

Nauroa Regular Member

IT Geek
  10. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Having now tried the ZM range for a little while now, I've come to the conclusion it is not for me.

Whilst the popular ZM62 is an outstanding string among those in it's gauge band both in terms of performance and price, I personally don't get along with thin strings. That's not to say it is a bad string, far from it.

However I have now tried the ZM67 and ZM65 and both are quite poor imo. The 65 is better, but the 67 is an awful string. No feeling, dull and unenthusiastic. They are very responsive, solid but are not communicative... The ZM range is actually relatively fragile. The outer coating is quite easy broken. I made a small twist when stringing and it broke open the outer coating, this has never happened with Yonex strings I've strung in the past with far more twisting. Not to mention that the annoyance of having to constantly straightening out my strings when playing.

The ZM range are good strings - for the price, but for a little more money I think there are far better strings.

Hence, I will be going back to Yonex strings and probably be staying with them until the next big thing comes along.

11. 241n00b

241n00b Regular Member

loving the reviews here and i just ordered a 10 pack to test out for myself!

12. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    which one did you order?

13. 241n00b

241n00b Regular Member

got 10 packs of 65

14. chobolan

chobolan Regular Member

The same thing happened to me. I thought I was the only one. I don't remember ZM62 MK1 having that problem though. I strung it at 22lbs, 24lbs and 26lbs and all have the same effect after re-stringing. The string consistently moves when you play it and it is very annoying. I changed to BG66UM and I don't have the same experience.

Anyone has the same experience with the other Zymax range?

15. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Im using the new Zymaz 62 and 65. Never experience that

16. zombie0517

zombie0517 Regular Member

17. zombie0517

I have tried both ZM62 and ZM67 and I agree ZM 62 feels superior to ZM67. Just sharper and more lively :) IMO the problem with PEEK based strings in general is that the coating does not "bind" to the core filaments. But this problem is not restricted to Zymax alone. BG68Ti, BG 66UM and BG80 all have fragile coating/outer wrapping filaments that are easily broken.

One thing with Zymax strings is that they stretch very little compared with nylon strings. While they are very repulsive and keep tension really well, they do not tolerate mishits for the same reason. They are durable strings, provided you do not mishit.

Zymax strings also moves around a lot. Yes it can be a bit annoying but this does not affect performance.

Just my two cents:p

18. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Hi, what is PEEK? Is it a different plastic/synthetic material?

I agree that other strings also have fragile outter coatings, but in my experience as a stringer, the ZM range seems to be more fragile than other strings I've used.

I love the dry rough texture that the ZM range has but it's no good having good grip if the strings move so easily. I also think it lacks feel massively. It holds tension well, but its quite an artificial feeling I get from the ZM range, somehow feels natural if you know what I mean.

19. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEEK

20. zombie0517

Yes PEEK is a different synthetic polymer. One huge advantage of PEEK over other synthetic polymers is its chemical inertness/stability; however being used for badminton consumables this quality does not play a huge role, understandbly:p

About the coating durability during stringing, for me the coating durability of Zymax strings seems to be better than the three Yonex strings I mentioned. In fact I have never broken outer coating of Zymax strings during stringing so far, but my fixed clamps and tensioner gripper are not diamond dusted, tensions I used may be different to yours, and perhaps the batch number of the strings we use is also different.

To me ZM62 does not lack feel, but of course there are strings with better feel such as fresh BG66UM. The "repulsion characteristics" is also different. ZM62 has a harder feel and more "immediacy", where as you would feel more "hold" or "pocketing" of shuttles if you use strings like BG66UM or NBG98 at the same tension. I prefer ZM62 for this reason but that of course string preference is personal .