Yonex ArcSaber Flash Boost ( ARC FB )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by yan.v, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

90+% of people out there aren't LCW or LD! If going heavier is better, why aren't you using a 2U racket then?

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Are you intentionally dense? I didn't say "heavier is better". I said there's a limit to what weight is useful - that's actually true in both directions. There's of course a range as not all athletes are the same and not everyone has the same technique.
    For guys like LCW and LD, head weight is important - clears get easier, smashes have more power (in their case), the racket swings more stable - all helpful aspects in singles. They have the strength and technique to make it work in defense and quick exchanges as well, which less skilled players or pros with a different style might not be able to.
    Others will prefer lighter rackets as the Arcsaber 10 for singles as it's lighter weight allows for more deceptive net play and better defense...

I didn't say everyone should go for heavy rackets. I, for example, have been using the Bs09/12 for the past season. It's on the light spectrum, sure, but it suited my needs. Still it's well into 3U territory, and not head light, so it's a powerhouse compared to the Arc FB.

I'm also not saying that no one should use the Arc FB. I'm saying an advanced competition player will definitely play better with other rackets.

I had a lot of fun playing with the FB, actually. It's really great what you can do with it defensively and in terms of deception, and in recreational doubles it's a delight. I get only limited use out of it in serious training though as it cripples my attacking game from the back. Front court play and defense are (mostly) enhanced, but once I'm at the back, the attack is pretty much lost as I have to play a clear after a couple weak smashes (to avoid my opponents counter-attacking the smash as they creep forward in their defensive position).

3. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    I think this is what most people don't agree with. You're pretty much saying "You're a bad player (recreational player) if you prefer this racket" or "If you're good, this racket can't be for you".

I'm an advanced player and I like the racket a lot. I also know some really good players (top regional players/national players) that like the racket better than any other rackets they have tried in the current lines.

I think you'd make it easier for other people to agree with you if you removed the "only bad players like this racket"* parts. Some advanced players can definitely prefer this racket over everything else.

*I know that's not exactly what you said and probably not what you think, but that's what it comes across as.

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Haha, yeah - let me try to rephrase that :D
    I think that while some advanced players might like this racket the best, prefer it to any other model out there, objectively they play a bit worse. For me, there's a similar problem - I like my strings tighter than I play the best with. I like the feeling, the sharp impact, and the control - but objectively I play better with 1-2lbs softer strings than I usually train with.

As I said, I liked the racket as well, and I'm not a bad player, but for me it was pretty clear I wasn't at my best with it. For others, the difference might be much smaller, but I'm convinced it's still there ;)

I sometimes play with a lighter, tighter strung racket than my Bs09. In some matches, I think there's actually very little difference in power, and then a couple rallies later, I can't get through or eventually get countered in situations I would've made the point with my Bs09....that is usually my somewhat objective indication I'm worse in that aspect. Same when I'm playing with a heavier racket and suddenly don't get back shots I normally would've whipped crosscourt.

PS: #462 should've said "...being intentionally..."

#464 j4ckie, May 5, 2013
    Last edited: May 5, 2013
  5. ccyuri

ccyuri Regular Member

The initial feeling of the light FB rackets do bring extra joy, mainly because it is unique, but from the All England 2013 MD results, there is reasons why MD players switch away from the FB.
    For what ever reason i dont know,

P.S. lots of broken FB rackets images in the BC

6. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    could the reason be mailny for marketing purpose

7. Sgt_Strider

That was indeed what you were implying. I would encourage anyone to read those bold comments and come to their own conclusions.

8. Sgt_Strider

I should have described things better. I was not in pain after 2 hours of constant badminton. Can I play 3 hours with the Arc FB? I think so. I wouldn't be able to do that with my AT800 DE. That's for sure. My legs were probably more tired than the other parts of my body.

9. Sgt_Strider

I spent another 1.5 hours playing with the FB today. I stand by what I had said earlier about the FB. It's a good racket, but the weaknesses as mentioned before in this thread still stands. This definitely isn't the perfect racket so let's get that out of the way. None is. As stated before, this racket really shine in the front to mid-court areas. I don't doubt that. In fact, I dominated in the front to mid-court areas today.

I still think I can squeeze a bit more performance out of this racket. As stated before, this FB isn't mine. I'm going to buy one later this week and will post more impressions of it later.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

He was saying that heavier is better for attack and especially singles, giving LD and LCW as examples. And that there is a certain range of swing wts where you or I can swing a racket fast enough with still enough mass (momentum) to hit a bird with any meaningful impact. We all agree that FB and ZF currently represent the extremes of swing wts in the Yonex world, so yes, you're right, it is up to us to find the range of swing wt that fits our style and abilities. After going thru about 18 rackets in the past 3 years, I can say that I may have finally found my range and preference. :)

#470 visor, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
  11. kumache

kumache Regular Member

Reviewer
    Now Ratchanok Inthanon is using AFB, how about that? only cause she's a girl?

12. visor

visor Regular Member

Yep, I've been following her play over the past few tournaments ... she gets a lot of power out of the FB. Perhaps she has the 5u jp version, or even possibly special 4u version? :)

13. Sgt_Strider

I'm still thinking about whether to go ahead and get that from SH. I was hoping Matt would provide some detailed impressions of the 5U FB given that he have used the 6U, but it seems like he's been busy lately. My plans have kind of changed now that MBS have the Duoforce in stock. I'm going to call them later today to get some more clarifications on shipping and insurance. If all goes well, I'll play an order before the end of today.

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

It's not ;) I said LCW went heavier over the years, first I've seen of him is with the NS9000, then he changed to the AT900P, VT80, VTZF.
    Nowhere did I state that everyone should go for the heaviest racket available. For both LCW and LD, heavy & head heavy rackets work out the best. Chen Long, for example, plays a less head heavy racket but enjoys a lot of success with that. My opinion has always been that there is a limited range of weight (or rather, swing weight) that is still useful for badminton. An individual player's preferred range is much narrower than that, I don't think I'm using the "ideal racket" or such nonsense.

Reading in excerpts is the best way to get a warped view of the intended message. Read my comments in full or don't reply to them, pls.

15. Darth vader

Darth vader Regular Member

Sith Lord
    As a end user of 2 FBs, allow me my cents worth. I have played 2 months with the FB as my primary racket, and to a certain extent, I kinda agree that smashes are not as effective...I think I have kind of gotten used to the FB, and since smashes are not my primary playing style, I think it is a good trade off in return for controlled play and defense.

However, I must admit that the racket is pretty frail...cuz I broke my FB for the second time due to a mishit..the frame cracked at the 11oclock position...quite similar to the previous breakage. String was bg66um strung at 24lbs...gonna make a trip down to queensway tomorrow, fingers crossed that the warranty claim will be fuss free...

16. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

Does anyone have a comparison of the FB and the Victor Light Fighter 7400?
    The Victor is heavier, but possibly the closest competitor from Victor?

17. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    instead of ArcSaber, maybe LightSaber is more your style... :D.. just kidding..

18. leeforspeed

leeforspeed Regular Member

Wow, unbelievable. What happened to your bn60?

19. Darth vader

Darth vader Regular Member

Sith Lord
    Tbvh, the BN60 felt really weird. Despite being lighter, the heavier head took some adjustments getting used to after I had acclimatized myself to the FB. Control wise, I still prefer the FB...

20. Sgt_Strider

Wow, I'm shocked. I've been told that my racket is strung at 24lbs and I've had a few mishits and the racket is still ok.

I think we need a radar gun to assess the difference in smash speed between the FB and a more offensively oriented racket...