Jan O Jorgensen

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by TedTheFarmer, Oct 24, 2009.

1. fitnessguy

fitnessguy Regular Member

Student
    Please everyone stop comparing JOJ with other baddy players his age - especially the Asian ones!
    European players do take more time to get bigger and to mature on court. when you compare JOJ to PG when PG was his age, it was a bit of a different time. And PG has always been great at adapting to the play that was before him.
    i do agree that JOJ needs more "coolness" and needs to be thinking more on-court, but these things will come when he get more experience.
    Im not saying that JOJ will definetly be the next great European player, however, i am saying that he has got the potential!

2. Avnish

Avnish Regular Member

Student
    he gonna B z nxt peter gade or even better than him

3. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Nah, JOJ won't reach PG's level. He doesn't have PG's finesse or court vision.

4. madbad

madbad Regular Member

please ignore...........

5. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    well
    each player is different
    no one can be another one;)

6. madbad

madbad Regular Member

But if you want to compare one player to another, there must be comparable standards. What I have pointed out are only two things that PG is better at.

7. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    We are talking about a hall of famer in PG. To say a certain player is the next PG or even better than PG really underestimate what type of impact player PG is. PG in my opinion is a 'complete' player with very few weaknesses. Someone has to fill PG shoes but those are darn big shoes to fill.
    JOJ is the best of the current lot from DEN, on the bright side, at least DEN has a hope in JOJ. CHN has CL, CJ and who knows who else are coming up. INA and MAS, 2 great baddy playing nations, have yet to find a 'no miss' player that can take over from TH and LCW.

8. arowana

arowana Regular Member

-
    Jan Ø. Jørgensen will be the best european in the next years. I know that´s not enough for most BCers :rolleyes: , but it appears the hole won´t be as deep as expected for danish MS.

please keep in mind Danmark is only a small country; guess most province capitals in china have more citizen ...

cheers

9. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

It seems so far great Denmark players are either tall and strong (Frost, Larsen) or (relatively) short and agile (PG, PR). Seems to me JOJ is in the middle.

Badminton is all about pace. You reach high pace by agility or by power or by touch/technique. JOJ lacks agility and power. Therefore unless JOJ can develop very fine touch and great technique, I don't think he will reach the level of PG.

10. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    well
    he still have more or less ten years in badminton
    i believe under peter gade guide
    he will be a more complete player after some years
    not every generation will have or be pg:)

11. arowana

arowana Regular Member

-
    Peter Gade is not small - 1,83 m like Jan Ø. Jørgensen, no difference.

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Kenneth Jonassen is 1.88m and made it to top 5 MS ranking.

13. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

As I said, it's agility that matters. I think you would agree with me that PG is much more agile than JOJ, wouldn't you? ;)

14. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Maybe you have forgotten KJ's superb power... :D:D

My opinion is that the best JOJ can do is reach the level of KJ. But that's still half level below PG at his best...

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i didn't say KJ is a world shaker in badminton but being ranked in the top 5 in one's career ain't that shabby. Let see if JOJ can reach KL's level before comparing JOJ to PG.

16. arowana

arowana Regular Member

-
    Often asian players had more dificulties playing Jonassen than Gade due to his reach and rather european style.

Both KJ and PG are great players...saw Jonassen playing against Jørgensen last year...still long way to go. At least Jørgensen is learning fast and has not reached his prime yet.

With his set of skills and still very good speed old Peter Gade will help Jørgensens developement. But Gade dominated as a young player, so he is out of reach ...

17. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Must you guys be a skeptic and say that JOJ will never be a good player like PG?

Never mind. Given up on most of the Bcers here.

#97 lcleing, Nov 26, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i remember in HK open (forgot which one, 2007?), KJ was on point run against LD to push it to a rubber set but couple of bad line calls against KJ totally distracted KJ.

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

My take after watching his match vs. Lin Dan..

..okay, i finally watched the China Open MS Final between LD & JOJ. First time to really fully watch his game. And yes, the one thing i noticed abt JOJ in that match is mentioned above: power of lack of it. It seems he was reluctant to smash even when he had a chance; rather he seemed to prefer clearing the shuttle back. Another thing is his court movement/footwork or rather lack of it esp. trying to cover the return after executing a jumpsmash, either late or just out of position. In other instance, i noticed he couldn't get behind the shuttle enough after LD sent him those deep pushes/clear to the baseline. Either his anticipation wasn't there or just slower footwork.
    I'll give him a thumbs up for his netting and soft touch around the net.
    As far as thinking wise, i think he was maybe playing a bit rushed in some portion of the game or trying to do a bit much. I noticed when he played with a bit of patience, he showed he could be a brilliant player.

Now, i tried to watch his SF match vs. Chen Jin, but the video went kaput abt 1/4 of the way (don't know what happened). So, wasn't able to see much.:p

20. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    shuttle is a little slower in CO 2009. Cited by many players especially KKK&TBH of mas.

JOJ does not lack power. But JOJ power < than LD.

Put LD's retrieving ability into the equation and you may realize that a full offensive strategy would be 'too detrimental' to most players overall game strategy.