Yonex Voltric 80 ( VT80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by fiq_axis, Jan 31, 2011.

1. CarbonexFan

CarbonexFan Regular Member

Here in The Netherlands, the distributors decides which sizes will be imported. I think it's also the case in the UK since the folder has a limited range compared to the Japanese site That's the reason why I bought rackets from Asia. I need G4 and till recent, Europe always used G3 (assuming bigger hands). Today, I think they use a larger grip for the heavy rackets and a smaller grip for the lighter versions. As for the VT80, its only available in 3U-G3 and 4U-G4.

And I have good news about my broken VT80. It has been replaced with a special ordered 3U-G4. At first, I thought they would import one from Asia, but the code on the racket is really for the Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg). It took 3 months, so I think it has been ordered and made especially for this request.

2. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    Ah shoot, I guess I must have seen a 3UG4 and thought it was a G5 as I was looking through them at the store! Sorry about that! If I remember correctly, when the AT900P first came out in Canada, the G5's were also delayed to launch. Hopefully they'll come out sooner than later as it's also my preferred grip size~

3. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

Was playing some doubles match last night and my VT80 just got really flexy after the 1st game... It felt very flexy last night to the point I stopped using it for 5 - 6 games just hoping that the flexiness goes away...

It didn't :( but I managed to play with it still because I needed it for that match... Needed a faster racquet because one of my opponent is quite fast...

I told my friend and he was bending both my VT80 and AT900PLC... And both were noticeably flexier than his Lethal 70... Don't know what's going on but I think I'm going to keep an ice pack in my bag :(

4. sFrog

sFrog Regular Member

Had some kinda the same experience. It just needed two heavy smashes and the shaft-flex increased. It almost felt like medium flex :-(

5. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

YES!!! That's almost exactly how it happens... I unleash a really hard smash... then the racquet felt different immediately after!!!

I might look into a N90 or something at this rate... Grrrrr....

6. whatever001

whatever001 Regular Member

Wo0ZY and sFrog: are your rackets 3U or 4U ? :)

7. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

3u Australia coded

8. sFrog

sFrog Regular Member

4U GR Code.

9. yumyumtaco

yumyumtaco Regular Member

Not sure where you live in Canada but I went to the RA centre and the only VT80 they had was a 3UG5 version. It's the only vt80 that I've ever seen with my own eyes.

Also, there were a few ARC9FL rackets

10. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada. I'll check around some more since it seems they are getting new stock.

11. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    Maybe I'm not going crazy afterall! Perhaps the first wave had 3UG5's but due to unpopularity, they canned them in the current waves? Still doesn't help the fact that you can't get them right now :(

Heeh, if you're dead serious about a 3UG5 and don't want to order online, I wouldn't mind trading you my TW coded for your 3UG4 as long as yours is in excellent condition. The VT80 isn't quite the same as my At700's and requires slight timing adjustment in which I rather not be bothered with.

12. CanucksDynasty

Thanks for the offer Optiblue. But I'll just buy it from RKEP. Got an email from he saying he should be getting a new batch of VT80s soon.Played 1hr singles tonight and 1hr doubles with a special guest (BC forum member) + friend. Details tomorrow when I can use a computer. Let's just say it was a humbling experience.

13. CanucksDynasty

So I played 1hr singles last night with my friend with his Arc10 (which his strings broke after 3 games). He brought his cousin along again...he wants to get back into badminton after a 3yr absence. So it was all good. I won all the singles games I played. My friend had sprain his hand during the week and the pain was lingering...so his play wasn't all that great. Played with Yonex AS30 bought at $28. Better than the Victor Tourney but not as good as the AS40. The feathers lasted 1 game only. Pretty good flight characteristics but at this point, I would pay a bit extra and get the AS40.

Onto the 1hr doubles I mentioned. Fellow BC member Distanc3 asked to play with me last night. My friend and I are pretty easy going...so it was a go once timing was sorted out. The first game was between Distanc3+friend vs me+friend. The score was 15-3 for Distanc3. Suffice to say...there was a gap in skill level. Distanc3+friend are really good. So much so that me and my friend nicknamed Distanc3..."The Hammer". His smash were like a cannon that made mine look like a pea shooter. :eek:

Obviously we switched partners to make the games more fairer and at least competitive. We managed to play 4 more games with a 2-2 split. It was a great night that as my friend said..."Eventhough we're not as good...I never had so much fun than last night".

Competitive mens doubles is a vast difference than the casual mens/mixed doubles I play on the weekend. Last night...I wasn't in the right position, hitting bad shots, etc. The pace is also very quick than I'm used to. And Distanc3 serves were so close to the tape that the only return I could do was a lift. Their level of play really opened up my eyes. So much so that I'm comtemplating taking lessons at my old age. And possibly try to join a group to learn the correct way of playing doubles and up my skill level.

Thanks Distanc3 for a fun night.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ Don't worry... I have a feeling that by the end of next week, you'll be beating them with a new weapon! :p :D

15. CanucksDynasty

Ha Ha!!! No...I don't think so. Although I did find I wasn't quite quick enough around the net with the VT80...perhaps that can be compensated with a new weapon. ;):D Just texted my friend...and he's also interested in taking lessons. So the search for a coach begins.

And to all the Vancouverites (GVA)...an open invite to join me and my friend on Thursday night. Just pm me first so I can book an extra hour. Hopefully I can change it to a more reasonable hours. Finished playing at 10pm last night. Went to sleep at midnight and got up at 5am. I'm getting too old for just 5hr of sleep. Dragging my feet this morning.

16. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Taking some lessons is probably the best investment ever made :).. Every new stuff/technique you pick up or learn and apply to your game makes it so much more fun, and makes the play even more exciting!! :D

17. CanucksDynasty

Yep...just printed some stuff on lessons at the local badminton courts. Too late to join existing group lessons I think (I'll phone and ask). Maybe private lessons for me and my friend is the way to go. Depends on timing and cost (but mostly timing).

When I asked my friend if he wanted to take lessons...he said "Absolutely, I want to kick ass like them". :p I think the ass-kicking we got was the motivation we needed to further improve ourselves.

18. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Today I was playing a game in doubles with a Voltric 80 (3UG5)
    I found the racket had a different feel to my usual racket Arcsaber Z-slash TH
    I found the racket had a powerful smash although the frame isn't as thin as the Z-Slash
    The racket frame really helped with mishits (which didnt happen in the game) as the frame is bigger
    The racket didnt hurt my wrist well playing so thats a good thing! :)

19. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    Sounds good to me! Even with my AT700's, I've always preferred my 3UG5's best!

20. txv611

txv611 Regular Member

Were u able to smash harder with the vt80 compared to z-slash?