Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

2. strobofred

strobofred Regular Member

not bad :D

maybe a few things to help you out:

- you could do it a little bit faster to simulate game situations more.
    Don't do it too fast though, you still got to focus on correct movement.

- When you go to the net, you tend to bring your racket high, which is good because you need to take the shuttle as high as possible. But you bend your knees in a strange way. Don't do that, just do a quick shuffle or a lunge to the net so you don't lose speed or height by bending your knees.

I think people will agree on this, please comment if I'm wrong.

I hope I helped you a little.

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Okay, don't mind if I do;)

You definatly have a good spring in your step, you're very light on your feet, kudos!
    But maybe you can improve that by bending your knees a bit, keeping your legs more tense. Because you're so very upright you seem to have some difficulties going for the smash retrun steps.

my second point: you have the sequence of steps to your forehand corner exactly reversed: you push off with your left foot, and end up with some difficulty to face the shuttle.
    Look carefully at Taufiks footwork http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lh04AxI6aw
    -push off with both feet
    -right, left, right

4. DietCokeMan

DietCokeMan Regular Member

Hahaha..I'm slow, too...that's ok partner. We can do better next time..!!!:D I'm overweight double than you are, so don't worry...;)

5. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

How's your badminton coming on jerby ?
    Last time I checked you were doing prety well

6. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

hehehehehehehehehehe !!!!!

haha I was just watching that old video of me with my bad habits
    racquet not held high
    Poor footwork
    Poor grip
    Not being able to clear effortlesly cause of the grip
    Not really much of a smash

Now all of that has been adjusted thank goodness
    I plan to make a new video possibly in the next week and get it up sometime next week

7. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

You can vary your service return instead of always lifting high. You need to be faster to do this. A net service return will force the other side to net exchange or lift.

Always split step when opponents hit the shot. This will make you move faster. In some cases you don't move immediately after opponents hit the shot. I'm not sure why.

Don't always lift when you're in front, unless you have concluded you have a disadvantage in net exchanges.

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

- Yes, level of play in Asia/SE Asia/Indonesia is slightly better than here in the U.S., even for social play..
    - That high energy/relaxed looking player is 50 yrs old?:confused::eek: Well, he sure didn't look like that age. I can imagine him playing with his ankle injury fully healed..:cool:
    ..aahh, looks like you're only going at 50% speed??..

9. SAMUDERAINDIA

SAMUDERAINDIA Regular Member

Finance Manager
    Thanks mate

this is great, I never got coaching and this is first time I watch my self playing.

here it's like free coaching wahahahah

10. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Just one more thing....

I havent' seen the entire video, watched a minute or two, but it seems like your base position is very close to the front? Around front service line. This may help with retrieving stuff around the net, but it also means you have to take an extra step to reach the back. I'd say, try to move your base position back, maybe 2 feet behind the front service line, so you'll have better reach around the back.

11. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Looks like UC Irvine's gym.

As far as tips go...footwork to your back corners needs a little fixing. If you move like that when you play, you will trip over your feet or just basically have a hard time moving. I'm not very good at explaining, I'd show you if I were playing any time soon. But then again, I don't consider myself good enough to teach anything.

#371 Joseph, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  12. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

So would it be correct if I split drop, lunge to the forehand corner (right foot), left foot follows, and pushback to base with right foot
    right,left,right

From Taufik video what I see is always split drops before he moves and to the forehand corner he lunges with the right foot and left foot drag and he returns to his base.

To do list for now:
    -move quicker
    -stay lower not so upright
    -move base back a little bit
    -back corner fixing (not sure how though):confused:

thanks for commenting
    will post another one soon for further help

13. strobofred

strobofred Regular Member

about the move quicker part:
    just try and copy the pace of a real match.
    like when you go to the left for your low backhand. try and do that a bit faster beacause in a match, that will probably be a smash you will be returning at that spot. so you need to be explosive there.

you also tend to walk back to your basic position, try and do that a little faster.

the rest is good and your footwork to the over the head corner is very good if you ask me :D

14. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    By moving your base back, you'll have less space to cover, and won't require so many steps, so this should work out anyways.

15. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Yes, yes, but do you see how it differs from your movement? Do you see how his right shoulder from the start moves to the corner, how his entire body faces the shuttle from the start?

Because of the way you start, the first two steps you turn your body in a direction you don't really want to go:eek:
    On your around-the-head you do actually get your body in a better position, I'm guessing you practise it a bit more right?

Though now that I'm on your around the head: you start with a split step(good!:)), and then you move your right foot back, do a small step with left, right again and then you face the shuttle.
    However, this small left step is very time consuming!
    If you start with your left foot, and just make a big step, then make a big step with right, you're already there! (two steps, not three:)) if you're not, you can always just chasse one more.

16. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

phone broke so. No video till I get a new one probaly one or two weeks

17. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    1st thing that hit me was ur movement to the backhand side movement (getting smash to the left side of court), you move your right foot across ur body which means ur back is facing the net.
    Try and chasse 1st and step out wit the left foot and hit the shuttle. Much like you do on the forehand side movement, jus mirror the action
    (Hope that made sense lol)

You have the forehand footwork mixed up a bit. Push of with ur right foot first rather than ur left foot.

On overhead shot, you do take an extra step to much which wil slow you down. This movement shud be done in 2 steps! 1 massive step wit the right foot back while at same time sliding left foot back a bit and then jumping back and hitting the shuttle and you land on ur left foot
    (Hope this makes sense lol)

#377 gingerphil79, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  18. kingmarioxv

kingmarioxv Regular Member

graduate student
    new videos

Hey guys,

After a couple months of inactivity I've finally gotten my video recorded. My upload speed is slow so getting all the videos up will take time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYq57zEARJY

He's a clip of a Men's singles finals I was playing in - this is D division in Jamaica: don't know how it compares to the D divisions elsewhere. I'm in front court in the gray shirt, white shorts. Sister providing the commentry.

I won the match btw...stay tuned for the rest of the match and all comments are welcome.

19. SAMUDERAINDIA

SAMUDERAINDIA Regular Member

Finance Manager
    Cant see the video, man

20. kingmarioxv

kingmarioxv Regular Member

graduate student