Pronation problem(smashing)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by maxxcavalera, May 9, 2012.

1. jinchu

jinchu Regular Member

Lol, whether it's discouraging or encouraging it's up to the person who's taking the advice. All I was saying is it'll take time, just keep practicing. Guess I worded it wrong lol.
    I agree that thejym's video is good for beginners. I thought he wasn't a beginner and was more experienced, but just lacked correct pronation on his smash.
    He obviously doesn't have supervision since he's asking strangers on the internet.. which is also why I said it might take time, thought he was training himself :p

2. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    Is funny you say that , because as I remembered, on another thread I was signposting the OP for some nice coaching videos on youtube from Coach Lee to improve his smash as requested , showing the basic/standard technique which was ideal for players who are at beginner or intermediate level to help them with their game and this was what you wrote ;

''The thing is, I'm not sure there is a male player anywhere in the top 30 that smashes like ljb teaches. I would be interested to know of any examples.

'even' the ladies dont use LJB simplistic technique.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYwCdj_SVQQ
    ''

#22 Staiger1, May 12, 2012
    Last edited: May 12, 2012
  3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I see your point, but its not the same. If you learn ljb method, and then later want to learn the more rotational method, you have to unlearn some stuff. I Pointed out the popular end-goal technique in modern badminton doesn't align with LJB method.

In that thread, I noted that a different technique is more prevalent at top level. You cannot learn that technique as an extension of LJB technique so it is important for learner to know which direction they want to take.

In this thread, the whole '3 year' thing has no benefit for the op.

4. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    The whole 3 years is probably to learn ALL the basic shots including proper footwork (on a once a week playing schedule, minus summer vac, Christmas break...).
    The pronation from thejym is a good start, then come the adaptations. Today's racket technology and speed of play forced everyone to adapt. How often do we find ourselves not able to complete the full 1-4 "proper" clear swing - our opponents don't give us time. I have begun to see Chen Long jumps up and intersects the quick lift with a smash - a smash that is 1,3,4 (no 2, no time for that). IMO, though the swing is more compact, it is also more injury prone. The 2 position actually helps prevent shoulder injuries - as you are leading with your elbow. I think we will see more explosive smashes from top internationals at intersecting low clear, low lift, at the same time, more shoulder injuries.

5. jinchu

jinchu Regular Member

Lol, okay amleto

6. amleto

amleto Regular Member

well thought-out counter argument. bravo.