Cai Yun ( 蔡赟 ) and Fu Haifeng ( 傅海峰 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by labyrinthian, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    Having said that, talk is cheap and easy. We will see how they fare in their third Olympic outing..

Of course I hope they could win but somehow i feel they need to further develop their game and update their strategy. When I watch their game in despair against Lee/Jung and on the losing end, i notice they do not have any contingency plan/tactic to cover their shortcomings...

When they are stuck and clueless about their next move to beat their opponent who can return any shot they deliver, they tend to lose the momentum and give up the match..I have seen it many times when they did that especially against Lee/Jung..my concern is when other pairs are able to up their game and truly test Cai/Fu, what are they going to do if their current tactic fails ? That would be an interesting part of MD.

Remember the Olympic 2008, Cai/Fu entered the final with no strategy or contingency plan AT ALL. that's why they failed to win the gold..not because Kido and Setiawan were the better pair, because they figured out how to play against Cai/Fu and executed their plan really well to perfection. That's why they lost.

2. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    If you just said the above, I might have agreed or probably wouldn't even have commented, but you said their chance of winning a given match are 50/50! You also told me not to look at their record in determining their chances of winning, but rely on your perception of how they are performing on the court. I think I will give more weight to their record, than to your assessment.

3. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Fu's given game is wind. Why Cai is cloud?

#1563 Qidong, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  4. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Cai Yun , Yun name on Chinese character means Cloud..
    If you are asking, why there is Yun after Cai Surname, i think you should ask CY directly or ask CY parents...

5. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

i used to called them as wind & cloud couple (as the heroes name in chinese wuxia series: 'wind & cloud'), before i finally know that 'feng' character in fu haifeng's name doesn't mean wind, but peak. haha

6. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Just search the 2 Chinese words on line. The meaning of 赟 (pleasant) is not cloud, the meaning of 峰 (peak) is not wind. But they are pronounced the same as cloud and wind.

7. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Yes, you are right. But sometimes i noticed the Yun on CY names is written 云 instead of 赟.
    云 = Cloud
    赟 = Good appearance

8. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    I have been reading an article in here : http://badmintoncn.com/view-14374-1.html

At 16th April 2012, Cai Yun's wife, Wang Na has delivered a daughter, she is CY first child adding up the family members to become 3. At just around the corner FHF is also expecting his 2nd child being born at May, he wants to have a daughter as well, adding up his family members to become 4. He was also joking up with the interviewers that His & CY daughter might be able to form WD.

9. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    Maybe both Cai Yun and Fu Haifeng have sworn an oath. If both are born of the same gender, they will play in MD or WD. If it's the opposite, they will play in XD and ! to be betrohed to one another.

10. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

thanks for the info, licin. :)

congratz and good luck for both of them. can't wait for the WD 18 years later. ahaha

11. Heong

Heong Regular Member

For Cai Yun fans... here is a tribute video I made for you guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCW-pvkP8AA

It's very good watching Cai Yun play. He is always interesting and entertaining to watch and teaches so many different skills.

The video above demonstrates his skills in overall net play, defence, serving, driving, trickshots, diving, racket change, rear to forecourt following-through, doubles rotation and intercepting / anticipating

12. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the video Heong.. Appreciate it so much..

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    It explains why they are World No.1

Thanks for the video Heong.

It explains why they are World No.1. :D:D:D

14. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

i dont believe they care much about the world no 1.
    the olympics gold is what they after, bar none.

#1574 AlanY, May 14, 2012
    Last edited: May 14, 2012
  15. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    As much as i like to see them win, their chance is very slim because i notice they struggle a lot against fast and furious players...

They shouldn't concentrate too much on JJS/LYD...but also worry about other emerging pairs that are young and have a lot of energy left to smash continuously and fast.

Since it's a group elimination format, i have good faith they will make it to the semis at least! They definitely avoid playing BoMo and JJS/LYD...so i would say their draw is the easiest..the only known threat is Yoo/Ko..

16. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

I've never rated the KOR second pair any high at all.
    with a H2H 7-1 to FU/CAI's favorite and actually won 14 out of the 17 games played I don't think they will lose much sleep on it.

Mo/Bo is slightly better with a 2-6 H2H deficit, lost 14 out of the 19 games played.

Obviously the only creditable threat will be from JJS/LYD.
    On one hand their poor record at majors will always at the back of their mind but that can also be their advantage to make them more hungry for title.

17. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    Cai-Fu might have the easiest draw in the tournament with BoMo, Jung/Lee and probably Koo/Tan in the bottom half of the draw.

They gotta take care of the unknown pairs and most probably face the indonesian pair to fight for a place in the semi against Yoo/Ko

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Seriously, you read way too much into the scores. They almost never go all-out in the early rounds of tournaments, which is also indicated by the smash speeds (getting higher and higher all week). Personally, I haven't seen them 'struggle' against any pair other than JJS/LYD and occasionally BoMo.
    Ko/Yoo, while an incredibly exciting pair to watch and one of my favorites, are no real danger to them. They don't have the same presence at the net as LYD & CY do.
    I believe the Chinese will go at least to the Semis, and not have any problems doing that. As long as they're both in good shape the only obstacle on their way to the final will be the quarter final opponents, and in my eyes the only real threat is of course JJS/LYD. They're also very, very motivated to win that title, and have a very good record against them. It'll all depend on who can get control the net and win the attack, because both pairs have incredible penetration and even their solid defense will get broken down by that.

The Indonesian pair will not get a medal. No danger for the 2 Korean pair or Cai/Fu. Even Chai/Guo should beat them.

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Let's see how Cai Yun and Fu Haifeng will perform at the coming 2012 Thomas Cup

Let's see how Cai Yun and Fu Haifeng will perform at the coming 2012 Thomas Cup (May 20-27, in Wuhan, China).

20. fauci

fauci Regular Member

CY expressed his thought not to retire soon

[video=youtube;Pc2Zaya7XPw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc2Zaya7XPw[/video]

#1580 fauci, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 27, 2012