Tantowi Ahmad & Lilyana Natsir

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by miksss, Jul 23, 2010.

1. miksss

miksss Regular Member

Towi/Butet hammered Thomas Laybourn/Kamilla Ryter Juhl 21-15 21-14...

awesome! 4 consecutive final!

2. SleepyEyedBoyZ

SleepyEyedBoyZ Regular Member

Hope they can get a hat trick of championships.

3. az_lu

az_lu Regular Member

Student
    i hope so... :D

if they could win DIOSS final tomorrow by beating world No.1 , i think they are the best mixed pair in the world at this moment.. :D

4. Bugsy

Bugsy Regular Member

Liliyana is superb in controlling the net

5. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Another test passed....now, let's see how consistent they are in beating the top CHN pair Zhang Nan/Zhao Yunlei, who will also be their main rival for the World Championships & London Olympics Gold Medal!

6. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Great pair.

Hope to see them beating the CHN pair in final.

Good Luck Tantowi/Liliyana.

7. miksss

miksss Regular Member

No hattrick...just lost to their rival ZN/ZYL in 3 sets. Good luck in WC :)

8. naistav

naistav Regular Member

Another typical of INA player. Can't get out of situation.

9. drquick

drquick Regular Member

Doctor
    Need much improve their ability to handle BIG pressure. They past in SIN but failed in their Homeland. Their attitude in the field at the last stage of game was very bad. Their gesture told us how frustrated they are and in this condition they're fully under their opponent control and no way out. Unfortunately it's happen so often with our players even to World Champions calibre player such as TH, MK/HS, and former NoLyn. I mean it also happen to player from other country but I thought our players more vulnarable to this.
    Well it just my opinion. I'm not an expert anyway ..hehehehe

10. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    China pair is clearly better tactically, physically both pairs are equal....

11. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Yes, I hate to say that but that's one of their main weakness. Maybe INA players are just not trained to handle these situations well.

12. miksss

miksss Regular Member

Yeah, The CHN pair can read their game well in last two games.. and Towi can't handle the pressure and look emotional.

13. drquick

drquick Regular Member

Doctor
    I don't think it's just Towi's problem. Butet also looks so frustrated and can't handle the pressure as well Towi. Unfortunately if both player getting frustrated then none could help them except themselves. We always could know when a player already give up their game. In this case I agree with what others say in the IO tournaments threads. Our players should learn from PG how the attitude to handle pressure just like what he show us when he got burried by LCW. I think he also was very frustated but he still show us positive attitude to keep in the game.

Yeaaahh ..hope they could improve immedietely.

Well it maybe also our people cultured not to be able to handle pressure well. My friend said how the Japanesse people responded after the tsunami strike. All the TV programs and news are very positive and sugested all to rise and work together to rebuild again. No cries or blaming one and another just like always show in our TV when some disaster or tragedy hits.

14. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I think today the problem starts when Natsir losing grip on the front which caused Tontowi having to play creatively from the back, which perhaps something that he still can work on moving foward. Tactically I think also they tried too much to dominate the match and win in style, whereas Zhang/Zhao were happy to absorb the attack and turn it into a counter attack by starting with drive then fast exchange, closed out by a nice net drop which forced a high lift, and from there the attacking momentum is lost.

15. MelvIndonesia

MelvIndonesia Regular Member

Student
    For me, 4 consecutive finals (3 champions,1 runner-up) is very good achievement..

16. drquick

drquick Regular Member

Doctor
    I observe that overall the CHN's doubles players both Men and Women have better defense compare to INA's players. They can manage their smash return and place it well to trouble the opponent while INA's player (and others also) just make it "asal kembali".

Agree..agree.. They achievement are simply brilliant. The best achievement by INA's player in the recent years. CMIW

17. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Oh yes no doubt

18. luvina

luvina Regular Member

ex student
    Yup, me too...
    Moreover they recently paired. CMIIW

19. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Watched the match live... Quite disappointed that they lost. AT needs to improve his ability to handle the pressure. Afterall, they were the only medal hopeful. LN is supposed to be the more experienced of the duo but also failed to keep her cool. They played a good 1/2 set then lost too many points to unforced errors.

Skill wise, I think LN is more effective at the net than ZYL and AT easily equals ZN. AT is also more dynamic in his shot selections although a little weaker defensively. Hope to see this pair rebound back and take more championships.

20. miksss

miksss Regular Member

Liliyana, Tontowi Target Worlds
    Ami Afriatni | June 27, 2011

It shouldn’t take long for Tontowi Ahmad and Lilyana Natsir to forget their heartbreaking loss at the Djarum Indonesia Open and set their sights on a bigger prize: a world championship.

The mixed doubles pair failed to win their home Super Series event when they lost to China’s Zhang Nan and Zhao Yunlei in Sunday’s final in Jakarta.

It was Tontowi and Liliyana’s third successive finals appearance in top-tier Badminton World Federation tournaments. They secured Super Series titles in the India Open in May and the Singapore Open this month.

The winning streak propelled the duo to No. 2 in the world, bringing them to peak form heading into the world championships on Aug. 4-12 in London.

Tontowi and Liliyana will make their debut as a pair in the world championships.

Liliyana had previously won the tournament with former playing partner Nova Widianto in Anaheim, California, in 2005 and Kuala Lumpur in 2007.

“I want my third world title and I hope to achieve it with [Tontowi],” the 25-year-old Liliyana said on Monday.

During her stint with Nova, which produced 15 major championships, Liliyana said she had always deferred to her veteran teammate. Now, though, the roles have shifted and she finds herself playing the role of mentor to Tontowi, 23.

She acknowledged Tontowi’s game didn’t need much tweaking, but she was concerned about his ability to deal with pressure during competitions.

“Tontowi is a good player with all the great skills necessary for a doubles shuttler,” Liliyana said. “But as a young player, sometimes he just can’t deal with the pressure on the court.

“I need to maintain his fighting spirit, especially after the [Indonesia Open] loss, as a preparation for the worlds.”

Nova, 33, said he liked how Tontowi and Liliyana had developed into a world-class mixed doubles tandem.

He said he believed Tontowi could achieve the same level of success he did while teaming up with Liliyana.

“They are now regarded as the newest threat at the international level, and I see that they have the potential to be the world’s best,” he said.

Even international rivals have taken notice of the formidable pairing. Denmark’s Thomas Laybourn said Tontowi was learning how to use his physical strengths to corner opponents.

“[Tontowi] played very good. He is very fast in front of the net, and that makes them really dangerous,” he said.

Laybourn and Kamilla Rytter Juhl fell to Tontowi and Liliyana in the semifinals of the Indonesia Open over the weekend.

No Indonesian shuttler has won at the worlds since Nova and Liliyana and men’s double’s shuttlers Markis Kido and Hendra Setiawan triumphed in 2007

More at : http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/sports/liliyana-tontowi-target-worlds/449436