GCisms - the Definitive Gillian Clark Collection

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by cobalt, Oct 24, 2011.

1. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Lol sounds like your feeling guilty

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    not really. i hope if she sees it she will be more aware and work on improving the repertoire of phrases she use, as to be honest, the current set is starting to become stale, as you can see that we can recite them pretty easily here already.

3. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Task master. Maybe we should start a new thread to help build a new repetoire of phrases for her i bet you we would struggle. Main problem with commentary i think is the camera work not part of the same control as commentary, so like in most sports - analysing, reviews etc can be done on command, where as she just picks up feed and has to deal with what she is given.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Hmm, well many times, she has to comment on her own. Many commentary teams in other sports work in pairs.

To be fair, it's not an easy job to do on one's own. Even Top Gear has a team.

I must say, when she is paired up with Morten Frost, PoulErik Hoyer Larsen and other knowledgable explayers, it has been very good with the mix of technical analysis and general talk. Well, I have enjoyed it! :)

5. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

I forgot to say
    Gillian Clark used to go to the badminton club I go to now when she used to play

6. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

yeah, she really needs to improve her repertoire of phrases. i'm tired of hearing her recycled negative comments reserved for CHN players:
    "i'm surprised that the umpire has not reacted to [insert over-responsive CHN player]'s gesture of indicating the shuttle going wide to try to influence the line judge."

(she's never surprised with the umpire however whenever others like Fischer and Gade do the same. if it can be said hand on heart that there is no bias on GC's part, then this kind of what-screams-to-me-as-double-standards act only suggests one of two things: either, that 1) umpires are supposed to pick only on the Chinese to reprimand regarding this or, that 2) only the chinese are capable of influencing linesmen with their gestures and should ofcourse therefore be condemned for their deviousness. but what kind of a responsible commentator sets out to insinuate such points?)

and if i got a dollar for each time she chose to talk about delaying tactics whenever the chinese asked to towel down/ dried the sweat off the floor/ took time before serving/taking a service, but go into mute mode whenever other europeans do exactly the same (often in the same match).

a few years ago, i would have heartily agreed that GC was the Voice of Badminton. i was always gleeful to hear her exclaim 'unbeLievable!' and 'oh my, Goodness!' during a match. but now she does more than just giving commentary. she gives prejudiced commentary. i think it's very irresponsible to be making comments, often with disgustingly great surety, that brand a person in a bad way, especially because there is no chance for the accused to argue otherwise. and i should think after being a commentator for so many years, Gill would be more professional at it.

7. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Agree. Commentating in pairs should be a regular fixture for BWF events. The question is whether they can afford to pay another person to sit next to GC.

I think GC is doing a fantastic job but yes, it's always nicer to have some interplay during commentary

8. visor

visor Regular Member

^^^ Paired commentary in the finals perhaps. But not needed prior. The Chinese paired commentaries are the worst! They just don't know when to stop and keep talking nonstop throughout the match, oftentimes about things that are irrelevant to the action on screen.

9. Lawrence Tan

Lawrence Tan New Member

consultant
    She is a fairly good commentator, not overly technical, fair in her comments...never bias....
    She has this trademark sing-song way of speaking, not quite typical of Brits in general....annoying to some people, endearing to others....
    But as a professional commentator, perhaps she needs to take the trouble to learn how to pronounce players' names correctly, especially the famous ones. She has been mispronouncing Cai Yun's name for umpteen years, sometimes I feel embarrased for her! I wish I can send this e-mail to her. Every time she misprononced this name, I cringed! Hasn't she ever heard the correct pronunciations by umpires or emcees at award ceremonies? I wish someone can forward this e-mail to her... I look forward to hearing her pronouncing "Cai" correctly one day. :)

10. visor

visor Regular Member

yep, i mentioned this already on page 2, i think

however, in about 8-12 more months, this point will be moot as Cai Yun will most likely retire after the OG or the end of 2012

11. madbad

madbad Regular Member

"well constructed rally"

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Are you referring to Wimbledon Squash and Badminton Club?

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I don't understand why having paired commentary has less benefit in earlier rounds. I see it still has a lot of benefit. There are some tournaments with paired commentary before the finals (mainly the really big tournaments) and I have enjoyed all of them bar one male commentator who really shows only a very elementary knowledge level badminton.

14. Cloud7z

Cloud7z Regular Member

OMG, if he is (which I think he is) that means she went to our club. That would be cool.

Anyway, out of interest, how do you know about it all the way it Hong Kong?

15. KillerQT

KillerQT Regular Member

"PERFECTION!!!"

"What an ACCURACY of that shot!!!"

"That's a very tight netshot.."

"Good judgement! or Bad judgement!"

I remember in one of her interviews... "When you cover the badminton game... Talk like a coach not as a commentator"

16. visor

visor Regular Member

very good tidbit of info!

17. visor

visor Regular Member

well, i was taking into account how someone said that it may be too costly for BWF to have paired commentators all the time...

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

All that was written was "not needed", therefore I thought it meant superfluous.

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

There is a reason I am a moderator...;)

20. Cloud7z

Cloud7z Regular Member

Now I am more confused :S