Astec (Alan-Susi Technology) Rackets

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by maa2003, May 20, 2006.

1. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

thanks for the info ......

2. isben

isben Regular Member

Engineer
    Hi Guys, anyone knows if its possible to get Astec in Batam?

3. Timbuctoo

Timbuctoo Regular Member

Isben - I think they're only available in the bigger Indonesian cities. I'm not sure if ASTEC have gear in Singapore but if they do that'd be close for you.

As for the new rackets, I received my 2 in the plastic ASTEC Aero Tornado. This is one of the new rackets to be released in 2009. There's going to be a launch date for the 2009 series stuff shortly.

As for the rackets they look really nice. The paint work is even better than before. The Aero Tornado is white with a metalic bronze rim on the head. I'm not 100% sure what to call the colour but it looks nice. The logo has changed a bit and the rackets now tell you their stiffness rating on the shaft which is great.

The specs of mine are 3U (86-88g), Stiff (but not quite as stiff as a Yonex AT900P, more like an Arc Sabre 10) & head heavy. On the shaft it says the balance point is 290mm but I'd push that figure more towards the 300mm mark on mine. They are both strung with Yonex BG80 @ 28lbs.

The head is an aero (see the name) head which I like and there are small recesses in the head like dimples. I think these dimples help to give the swing an interesting sound and might help the rackets aerodynamics a little bit making it easier to swing.

I think the racket will be a great alrounder. It's not to heavy that it will lack defence yet heavy enough to make good power. I will post pictures once I'm given the all clear and once I've played with it for a few hours I'll post my finds.

2009 will see an update to the ASTEC website that will hopefully include ALL their new stuff. It could be an interesting year for this Indonesian brand.

In my bag of goodies I also received a Flypower Defender 150 training racket. This beast is 150g about the same weight as a squash racket yet it's for badminton. This will hopefully help me build up the right arm and increase my smash power. Some of my juniors might use it as a training racket as well.

Seeya and happy Christmas.

4. Timbuctoo

Timbuctoo Regular Member

Racket Pictures

Here are the new rackets;

Not sure how yo make pics smaller, can someone help?

Attached Files:

#244 Timbuctoo, Dec 21, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  5. -Silver-

-Silver- Regular Member

Engineer
    that's one good looking racket with good looking logo

6. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

there is no ASTEC agent in Singapore currently .....

7. serasalmus

serasalmus Regular Member

I 'd like to ask if you've tried an astec magic power 6(one of astec's low end models), it's head heavy and according to the seller, the balance point is around 290mm. since the aero tornado is a good looking racket and the balance point is on the range I prefer, I would like to ask you for some comparison on the two models.It's really hard to change rackets when you're used to it. I don't like the adjustment period.
    Thanks!!!
    and Happy Holidays!!!

8. Timbuctoo

Timbuctoo Regular Member

The newer racket Aero Tornado swings faster than the Magic Power with less effort. The Aero Tornado feels a bit more solid and has zero vibrations to the handle. They feel similar to hold in the hand & also in the same class as the ASTEC Pro 900. My new rackets weigh about 88 grams so about 98 grams with strings I guess. Some adjustment would be required but not much compared to other rackets. The Aero Tornado line should be available in early 2009 so you'll have awhile to save up. Because they aren't expensive rackets it is cheaper to buy them and not so bad if you break one (less tears). I'll be getting a 2009 catalogue soon that should have all the pictures & specs. I'm thinking of ordering quite a few ASTEC rackets for our club. With family & friends always going to Jakarta I don't have to pay for shipping. As soon as I get the catologue I'll post it on the forum for those interested. I recently got a Flypower catalogue as well and I'll be getting the Flypower shoes, clothes and training rackets which are very good.

Maa2003 is correct, I think ASTEC are selling rackets in Indo, Phillipines and Canada but as far as I know that's it. We'll hopefully be getting their gear for Australia as well which makes sense since Indonesia is sso close to us.

#248 Timbuctoo, Dec 23, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  9. serasalmus

Timbuctoo - How much is the price of the Aero Tornado?

10. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

if you can get free shipping cost, that's very good.

currently still under discussion with Mr. Jerry from ASTEC for carrying ASTEC racquet into Singapore next year (2009).

the new catalogue will be ready by end of Jan 2009 according to Mr. Jerry as well, and the Aeroleap Series will be launched by mid of February 2009.
    It will utilize ASTEC's very own Aeroleap Technology, consist of many model as like Aerotornado, Aerohurricane, AeroStorm, Aerolegend and Aeroprestige.

#250 maa2003, Dec 23, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  11. -Silver-

-Silver- Regular Member

Engineer
    Glad to hear that someone going to bring ASTEC to singapore. Looking forward to it. :D

12. Timbuctoo

Timbuctoo Regular Member

I told them they should have an Aero Tsunami, but I don't know how that'd go down with the locals. Alan did say he wants to name the rackets after things that cause damage because I guess that's what he wants them to do to the person on the other side of the court.

I'm not sure of the price because they were replacements for other rackets. You'll findout the prices when they are released.

I guess you can call my rackets a little teaser for what is to come and if the rackets are all as good as the Aero Tornado then it will be a good year for ASTEC. All they need is a pro to use their gear and with all the changes in sponsors with Indo players lately maybe that can happen.

This Aero Leap design looks interesting. Alan tried to explain it to me, it's meant to make the swing easier and faster so that heavier rackets can still defend well. According to him conventional designs loose their defensive ability once you add weight.

This racket feels very solid and hits very hard. I'm not a big smash player but I can easily generate more power with this racket. At first the Aero Leap dimples/ripples appear to be just cosmetic but after swinging the racket it does feel faster. I'm comparing this to the conventional rackets like the Pro 900 which weighs the same.

13. serasalmus

Can I ask for a side angle picture to visualize more the ripples on the top portion of the racket.
    Thanks!!!!

14. Timbuctoo

Timbuctoo Regular Member

Okay, will do so tomorrow. Busy today with Christmas. Hope you all had a good one.

15. Erique

Erique Regular Member

Aero Tornado

Timbuctoo, any update on your Aero Tornado? I had a Pro 900 before, how is Aero Tornado perform compare to Pro 900? Does aero tornado have stiffer shaft?

16. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

You are in Tangerang, you may contact Mr. Putu (BliPutu) for this series.

But, according to Mr. Jerry, it will be launched next February 2009, and consist of many series .....

17. serasalmus

do you have their '09 brochure?I know it's a lot to ask, but can you post some pictures of their new line up?

18. bluecraze07

bluecraze07 Regular Member

Astec makes great rackets. They aren't too expensive either. But I've noticed that their grip sizes are very small.

19. joeling914

joeling914 Regular Member

Astec - Aero Tornado

hi maa;

nice to 'see' you in the central.com.
    I've been to Jakarta looking around for new racket to try out but the ASTEC is not prominent as far as the displays in the shop. Not in the Kurnihu's shop too.

Perhaps you might want to bring in some rackets such as the ASTEC, Aero Tornada when you are shipping in some accessories from Indon. Don't worry about the cosmetic of the babe, the chemistry betw us(rkt & player) is important in my opinion.

cheers
    joeling:)

20. stkis1

stkis1 Regular Member

Hi ya, does anyone know when will ASTEC will be coming to Malaysia.