Yonex ArcSaber Z Slash Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ants, Jul 26, 2009.

1. tckang

tckang Regular Member

Con man (I do sales)
    Trying desperately to defend your own 2U Arc Z that u love eh ? :p

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

What crap are you talking about?:confused:

I was just adding some ideas over their discussion and got no other intention:rolleyes:

3. roy b

roy b Regular Member

#1823 roy b, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  4. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Chill off guys... I get that there are many (including myself) who are not a huge fan of the ArcZ. I do not find it surprising that tckang loves it. There is good speed and power in the ArcZ. IIRC, it took him a while before giving up his Arc10 so it's a well considered move.. Afterall the racket, and many others alike, is certainly capable of much better performance than I can muster. Lilyana Natsir probably can smash harder with her Arc7 than most of the guys in this forum with a Spira21.

It is always a blessing to find a racket that plays perfect for oneself so too bad the ArcZ is not for Roy, LD and myself. Lets agree to disagree and move on shall we?

5. roy b

roy b Regular Member

Wise words, Weeyeh. I've chilled. :):)

6. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

roy b just about answered for me.

Kids are more influenced on marketing stuff, if yonex or any major brand of any sporting equipment, tell you that their product will significantly improve your performance, then they will believe you. Without the Advertising, then people just assume that it is another product, which isn't any better than any other model. I had seen a sizable number of junior players using the Arc Z, at the junior tournaments that I competed at earlier in the year, however towards the end of the season, the number of players using the racket had dropped, only a few, (maybe 3-4) I presume that they had either switched back to their previous racket, or moved on to the next big thing:)

I was just trying to make my views of the Arc Z clear, I am sure that many people will have alternate views on the racket, but my view is that it isn't a very good racket, maybe if I had 6 months to adjust, then I would eventually get used to it, but I play competitive tournaments, so I need a racket that is suitable for my needs, and consistent, I found it in the appox 10hrs I used it to be inconsistent, so changing my racket in the middle of the season, to something which needs a lot of getting used to is not a good idea. And this might explain why alot of people I saw at one of the later tournaments decided not to use it any more, despite using it previously in the season.

I raised the "why do pros not use the ArcZ" believing it to be a valid question, I think that a valid reason to be put forward, to try to explain why they do not use it, is previously mention above, IMO it was too inconsistent for me, one session, (even one game) it was great lots of power accurate shots, etc. But the next game, my accuracy seemed to go AWOL, shots were going out the back, into the net and out in the tramlines, and the final straw was that it seemed impossible to perform a tight netshot (even though I was using same tension and strings) maybe professional players find it to be inconsistent and in professional competition, using a product which is inconsistent, is not good. I admit rackets is a very personal choice, but I (and I am sure many others) would rather use something which is consistent, and you know what you are going to get when you step out on court, than something which is unpredictable, the Arc10 and the Z are pretty much the same spec, (in terms of balance point and composite materials) but the Arc Z is meant to be the better racket (according to Yonex) hence the bigger price tag, and larger advertising etc etc. However if this is the case and the Arc Z Is a better racket than the 10 in the majority of areas, this doesn't explain why almost all pros that used the Arc 10 have decided to stick with the 10 and not switch to the Z.
    On the front page of my Yonex 2010 catalogue it shows Taufik and LCW using the Z, so people who don't watch alot of badminton, but know of the top players like Taufik, Gade, LCW, LD, assume that if the arcZ is good enough for the pros then it is good for them. Not knowing that these players don't actually use the racket anymore/currently. (in the photo LCW is clearly not using the Z in the photo, as the original grip is the only grip on the racket, and as we all know LCW uses Yellow grip) the photo is obviously modified to show LCW holding a ArcZ to make it look like he uses it.

It may well be the case that you are a better player than us, and therefore able to operate the Z to a good standard, but that doesn't bother me, if you are a great player then thats good. :) but I don't see how that has anything to do with my opinions on the Z, I like to consider my self to be of a decent standard, I am not the best, but not the worst either. But contuary to what members of my club think, the Z isn't going to make you into a great player, some of them I think have been brainwashed by Yonex cause when I try to say that I don't think it's a very good racket, I get all this info about how it is aerodynamic, and has Zero air resistance, (straight from the Yonex catalogue) I also hear a lot of " this racket has made my smash so much more powerful" but in my opinion, I believe their opinion is influenced by the price tag and the advertising, marketing, that yonex use. I think that any company with a good reputation for making a certain equipment, can make a decent product, but can use aggresive marketing, and getting pros to use it for a brief period, this will certainly boost it's appeal to the public, and to children.

Again these are just my opinions, please feel free to agree and disagree with my thoughts.:)
    This is in responce to post #1823 with all the quotes and responses.

I

7. tckang

tckang Regular Member

Con man (I do sales)
    Well said ...if only you start off with this post ...
    points taken and no offence. I am not against anyone here or anywhere and like i repeat so many times anyone can comment anything on any rackets, coz to me, it is merely a place to express one's opinion.
    The only highlight that i keep stressing is that, if you think Arc Z (or any other racket) has it s inferiority, free to point out or express here in the forum, but just to keep it neat at the racket itself (and i am not targeting you by saying this). MOre often than not the scenario in forum/on court (anywhere in the world) is like this: Someone who plays better in a group, will comment and say nah, this racket is useless, bla bla bla, i regret, don't buy it. Buy this one , bla bla bla sure no regret, trust me. I DESPISE people like this. IT is other's $$$ and all players, regardless of levels, play differently. So, if one thinks a racket is not his/her taste, just say that this is not his/her racket because to him/her it feels like bla bla bla. Thats it. IF others, even your friends, fellow forum member is interested, advice him/her to try it out, rather than say don't think about it, you will regret, try this instead ...bla bla bla. Again, i stress, this is not targeting you, but to all.
    Lastly, i hope that whoever with the biggest willy up there to said Arc Z owned more by kids(well, again not you) ...well, maybe it is the case in his/her hometown where parents are so rich tthat they can buy Arc Z for their kids. We here in Asia, pays the racket with our hard earn money for the sake of enjoying badminton (and again i agree not to improve my badminton skills with Z). This includes the Arc Z, NS9900, and many other rackets.
    Racket to me is just like a sword. You can own the best sword in the world but if you dunno how to use it, you may even cut your own balls/head with it. :D :D :D

And lastly, my skills sucks, i can't even hit the shuttle properly on court. Maybe thats y Arc Z suits me. :rolleyes:
    End of story.....

#1827 tckang, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  8. tckang

tckang Regular Member

Con man (I do sales)
    Thanks buddy. This thread needs more peace maker like you and sensible cool guy like LD.
    If you look back what i stress, it is the way some of the previous posts being presented that irked me off, so the sarcarcism is not really intended at both.
    IF it is 100% neutrally targeted at Arc Z, i would have shut my mouth long long time ... but i don't think it's the case. OR maybe as a Malaysian i failed to understand REAL proper English. :p
    Anyway ...peace. Move on.

9. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

I wish badminton is like soccer or basketball where there is a regulation ball used.

Yes, tourneys does have regulation shuttles, how about regulation & standardized rackets?

Thereby, most of us baddy players will be able to enjoy (whether it is recreational or competitive) the game utilizing standardized equipment (same stiffness, bp, weight, length, head shape, string plane, what have you.);).

So we can save on these arguments and just play;). Well, we can argue with paintjobs:D:D:D.

#1829 RSLvictorSOTX, Jul 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  10. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    Ok for putting regulation rules on shuttles (already exists) but not for racquets.... That would kill the diversity... Diversity of racquet models, and diversity of baddy firms that product these racquets..

Would you really want to see every one playing the same racquet, no matter their playing style ?

11. RSLvictorSOTX

Yes and no. It would not however, kill the diversity of playing styles irregardless of equipment (one racket for all):).

12. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    Ok but different playing styles need different racquets..

13. RSLvictorSOTX

Well, of course. The point here is so that guys stop ripping each other over which racket is superior to the other:).

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    If ever there is the such a best equipment for each sport......

Similar to Tennis, Table-Tennis, Golf, Hockey, etc...... different rackets/bats/clubs/sticks are used. :):):)

If ever there is the such a best equipment for each sport, then everyone would not use any others which are inferior.

15. RSLvictorSOTX

Not really talking best equipment but rather standard equipment. Anyways, doesn't it minimize the argument for equipment superiority and inferiority rather than skills;)?

16. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    Actually we can't even definite any standards because if you ask 1000 people what is the best racquet, you'd have hundreds different answers...
    Then we can't definite a standard that would suit everybody.....

More, this precise debate between us to defend our favourite racquets is what create the market, concurrency, I call it liberalism.

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

We all have our own preference

This is correctly said; We all have our own preference.

Choosing the type of racket we like to use is like choosing the type of food we like to eat. :):):)

Just last week, Megumi Taruno (JPN) was in Melbourne, for our 2010 Australian Open GP. She uses Yonex ArcSaber Z Slash. And she has many of that racket. During a break, she and I bought something to eat. She bought some wedges, while I bought some jelly lollies. She didn't enjoy eating my jelly lollies, but I enjoyed eating her wedges. :D:D:D

18. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    Nice example :)

Did you speak with her ? Did you tell her 'bout the debate we have here about Arc Z ? :D

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

2010 Australian Open GP thread

No, we didn't talk about rackets nor foods. We were more interested in cheering for her teammate, Minatsu Mitani, who was playing Seo Yoon Hee (KOR) at the WS Final.

For our 2010 Australian Open GP thread, check out this link:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?79238-2010-Australian-Badminton-Open-GP

20. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

I'm all for the standardised racket as long as it is the Mizuno TC700. Seriously, that will kill the game... you do not see soccer standardising the player's boots...