is there such thing as a better string for a particular racket?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by gundamzaku, Jan 5, 2013.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

I'm guilty of "strongly recommending" the zm62... :p :D

2. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

you can try gosen R4X110 too.. nice string.. :p
    another option, li-ning AP62 plus.. super favourite as well..

3. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    ZM62 seemed like a nice string to me also, although snaps easily if mishit around the top of the frame.

Currently using a 200m reel of bg80 power which has the nice rough texture like zm has but is thicker... Double/triple tensioning on my crank machine seems to have taken the slack out of it too, so feels hard like zm. Hopefully it has taken all the slack out and doesn't lose any tension....

#23 msitpro, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  4. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

i always string BG80, no matter which racket. i think there's no thing as "best string for a certain racket".
    i wonder how many of you could actually feel tiny differences between similar strings in a blind test...;)

i believe the importance of 20 different strings and tiny is overrated.
    choose between thicker and thinner strings, search your ideal tension (that's more important!!!) and work hard. that's the way to improve...;)

5. BaggedCat

BaggedCat Regular Member

Video Games Designer
    racket heads slightly different size, means more or less string used
    needs different tension to get same feel
    racket different string pattern, affects tension across different areas
    different sweet spot
    different materials in racket means racket head may flex differently

so yea. same string + tension on different racket will feel different... because the racket is different.

6. maxout

maxout Regular Member

In my case, the racqet, tension & stringer are the same, only variables being the string and my moods:D

7. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    that's exactly how i was thinking so i assumed that i would get the same feel when i used vs850 on my cab but it turned out that it felt horrible to the point where i don't want to use it. it could be because the sweet spot is smaller on an oval head frame? if anything i'll just go back to microlegend xl on that racket since it felt the best.

but thx for point it out that some tiny things are just not worth the stress.

8. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

ive tried a whole bunch of different strings on various rackets... the mid range YY strings (nbg 95, nbg99, bg80 etc) simply arent that great. They lose tension over time and wear unevenly before it breaks. They are stings you need to cut way before it breaks. But, to YY's credit they do play nice when freshly strung. ZM 62 is very nice.. but durability is quite a pain. I string my own rackets and after a while it simply gets tiresome. In the end i find ZM 67 has the best balance of all things. It holds its tension well, plays well although a little stiff and strung at the same tension seems to behave in a reliable manner on many rackets and most importantly, when it snaps, it snaps.. no dawdling, no separation of the outer weave, just a clean snap. Durability is fair. At the point the 67 snaps, it would be past due for any of the YY strings as well and they would have been enough tension lost for it to play poorly.

ZM strings play similarly to BG80.

I would have thought this was a lot of personal preference, but as it turns out, i also string for my friends and occasionally i get requested to put what ever string i think is best, the feedback i get is always very positive. Cant be just me then. But for the die hards its forever YY or nothing at all.

For older rackets, i string zm 67 @ 25 pounds. For newer rackets with medium/flexible shafts 27 pounds.

for some odd reason, i find the yellow plays better than the newer gen red version. i only tried it once, didnt like it and have only bought yellow since.

hope this helps.

asmd.

9. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    thank you for the review, that's basically what i have been looking for. since i haven't had too much experience with strings, it's hard for me to decide. but from your review and from what a lot of people say zymax is the way to go.

i've recently used my cab strung with vs850 and nothing's changed, it still feels "empty". none of that "fullness" of a shot exists...

i will try the zymax in about a week when my vs850 breaks :)

10. doxdox13

doxdox13 Regular Member

Graduate Student
    Try Zymax 67. I have a racket strung at 26/28, and it is very responsive. :)

Yes, strings/rackets/tensions all interact to give you performance.

11. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

i have the Cab20 strung with Nanogy 99 today.. 22lbs.. if only you were in singapore i could pass it to you for a review/comparison.. :p