Improving my Backhand :(!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by x0alex0x, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    If you can't do a good backhand clear, you're just asking to get the bird killed off every time.

2. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    No not necesarilly there are always options, backhand crosscourt, backhand drive, i can backhand clear, but i hardly ever use it, i always try cover with my forhand regardless.

3. markham player

markham player Regular Member

medical
    Practice, practice, practice! There is no fast way to improve you backhand high clears.

4. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

can i introduce more wrist into my backhand clears by practicing with the 'wrong' old forehand grip and when i get sufficient wrist power, i can move towards the right bevel grip to chanel the increased power into the stroke. its an idea

5. chewablemorphin

You shouldn't ever intentionally practice techniques that you know are wrong.

6. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    backhand technique

There no right/wrong ways of hitting a backhand: You just have to fine tune your comfort zone and strength to do a back-hand. Some might disagree with me, you don't have to follow the book but use people idea-or someone who you see during it correctly as a guideline to try it and put some of your own touch or feel for the backhand. In no time, you will be doing a great back-hand, it might looks ugly, it might look like couching tiger or it just look like the back hand matrix or a typical backhand. Whatever it is , you have found the touch. So good luck, in ever fine - tunning that back hand till it becomes so easy like a forward hand---->>>Backhand & Smashing = similar learning curve...just make it better ever time: don't be afraid to try out new ideas, and willing to take risk in doing it.

7. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    Mmmmm i seriously would have to disagree.....

i agree with the finetuning and practice but seriously if you have the incorrect technique your only going to be wasting energy and have a good chance to cause injury.

With the correct technique you barely have to hit it as hard as you can. Just like a clear for me i barely have to put power and effort into it. My backhand is similiar but ofcourse i do flick through a little bit more to get that height and full length.

Technique is very important. Follow the correct technique and practice lots and lots and lots. Over time your backhand will slowly strengthen.

8. chewablemorphin

There are definetly right and wrong ways of hitting a backhand, practicing good backhand technique, or learning to cover with your forehand are crucial to increasing your level of play. Using random inefficient techniques leads to bad things: off-balanced and inefficient footwork, and injury.

9. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    First i just want to apology to all the grammar that im going to make. 2 reasons, 1st English is not my favorite choices, 2nd my key boards got bugs or something, weird.
    Anyway, Let me ask you guys what is wrong and what is right?
    How do you know something had been done is right, and wrong?
    Lets say I wrote a book, and state this and state that with all the informations that i gather, would that makes my book is Right. Or is it RIGHT that is BASED on the information I gathered?
    But what if the information were wrong in the first place?
    Okay so anyway we going to come in where, oh dude, The method is being USEEEE by the international player, and has been tested, and has been tried by thousand of people.
    Okay sure enough, that is right.
    But what if that method is just not RIGHT for THIS one person, or maybe that method is just not SUITABLE for that one person. So would that be a RIGHT method for him?
    Yea sure, we can always say oh then the problem is him or she. But wow a person is a person, they were built with that structure, they didnt have the choice over that. So if is not fit for him is not fit for him, which mean it is a WRONG method for him.
    And of course let say "weird" method that this guy come up, and it works better for HIM by the method that everybody else using. Then there is nothing wrong just stick to his own method.
    Why? Because he has been tested by himself, has been tried by himself, and has been proven by himself, then that is all he needs. Beside it is for him NOT FOR EVERYBODY ELSE.
    And we all know that if a method has stated, that method has to be test, test, and test to insure that it is the right method.
    I hope this make sense. All i want to say is just go out there and try every ways that people point out to you. And practice all of them until you find out which one is best suit for you. The important point is LISTEN, UNDERSTAND, and PRACTICE.

10. bradmyster

i understand where your coming from gamepurpose but there is a difference between learning correct technique and "mimicking" play to perfection.

1 person can learn the correct technique and look quite different to international players. for each shot there is a step by step process of how to correctly conduct the shot to get a positive outcome.
    On the other hand mimicking exactly what lindan looks like can be done but ofcourse i garentee most people wont be able to do it and his playing style wont work for alot of people. But you can infact learn the basic technique without copying absolutely identically everything international players do.

I no people at my club who claim their technique works for them so it must be correct. But i can see from watching them play its terrible lol. Not only do they wonder why theyr shots are not effective but they also wonder why they get so sore and tired.

I begin teaching them how to adjust and correctly apply techniques and shots and those who are keen enough to learn overtime apply the techniques to their own play style.

Basically in terms of how do you tell what is right or wrong? The more experienced players and coaches can pick these things from a mile away. Im fortunate to have a deal of experience and can see these things aswell. So i find myself doing a fair bit of coaching/helping at my club nowadays.

Lemme know if this made sense to you or not because il try to go into further detail if you would like. But right now iv made it pretty simple.

11. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Listen, Understand, Practice.

Listen, to someone who knows how its done and is able to explain it.
    Understand, why these techniques are taught and are effective.
    Practice, only practice the correct technique. For every week you practice the wrong technique you'll spend another 12 weeks re-learning the correct one or spend a lifetime with injuries!

12. daubu711

daubu711 Regular Member

13. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Or in my case, both.

14. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    thank you for pointing your points. But I guess you didn't really read it carefully or I'm just kinda confusing people with my bad grammar.
    Let's just base on international player technique to talk about. First of all, how long has this sport was invented, and at what time was there the first tournament for international?
    Geezzz sorry I don't know. Let's say start out way back then international players, so called ancient players, versus now a day international players. I think there will be differences.
    I do not have record to back me up, but base on LOGIC. I THINK, and only think only of course I might be wrong, with my logic I think things are usually (i will not use always, because there is no such thing as always, or must or 100%) improve little by little. So that tells me now a day international should be better than the ancient people.
    However, like we said based on international player skills, those are the right technique. So therefore, in the ancient time the technique should be right because it was used by the international players. And now, we FIXED that technique, or sharpen that technique. WHICH mean we actually CHANGED the technique. Same basic but a little bit different to improve it. And now we consider now a day international technique are the right technique. So would we still be calling the back then techniques are wrong?
    I mean all i'm saying
    well like coachgary said and agreed with me Listen, Understand, and Practice.
    However, I guess coachgary kinda jump on the conclusion. I did not say keep practice the wrong technique.
    No sir.
    If you really understand the process, LISTEN, UNDERSTAND, AND PRACTICE.
    at step #2 UNDERSTAND, if we already understand that technique is wrong, then why would we waste time to practice?
    Of course, this is not one way trip
    first we listen to one person, understand what he meant, and true understand it I mean, technique, why, and how. Then we apply to practice.
    But if it is not the maximum effectively, then I guess either find another person and redo the steps all over.
    And if no one can really teach you further. Then it is up to yourself to refine the best technique you can come up so far.
    However, it might not be the best, because if you have no creative mind then you just have to stuck with it.
    But if you do have a great mind to use it. Then try a different technique see if it is gonna be better the one that is already existed.
    that is just my logic opinion as a badminton player.

15. bradmyster

ok gamepurpose lol
    That was very very confusing due to your english. but thats fine because im used to it so i got a pretty good idea of where you are coming from.

Again "changing" technique and "Improving" technique is a very sketchy area. There is no point what so ever refering to ancient players of badminton because we dont know anything about what the game was like back then. Was the pace faster or slower? were the players fitter or weaker? Were the rackets bigger or smaller?

So unfortunately thats a bit of a false topic to bring up. If we got back 100 years by all means you can compare. But the technique has not been changed so to speak. Im not sure but to me it seems your failing to grasp a tru understanding between technique and style. So i will say it once again.

Every shot has basic steps to follow correctly. How the player looks whilst playing badminton doesnt always have technique to blame. Some people are bigger or smaller, faster or slower, more co-ordinated and less co-ordinated.
    Some players will look smoother and others will look a little bit unstable lol. That really comes down to style and how a persons body reacts.

But the correct technique can still be followed by 5 even 50 different people and they can all look different when they play.
    Heres a simple example. With a backhand shot. Some people swing round their body like tennis. Big energetic swing hugeee rotation of their body. THIS IS WRONG TECHNIQUE. The correct technique (refering simply to racket skills) is point your elbow, flick your forearm up and over your elbow to make contact with the shuttle and give a an extra flick with your wrist as you swing through for more power. (THIS IS JUST A BASIC SENTANCE LOL SO IF IT CONFUSES YOU DONT WORRY I COULD SHOW YOU IN PERSON MUCH EASIER THEN TALKING ABOUT IT)
    Anyways take 2 different players to perform this backhand with correct technique.

1 player may smoothly flick through the shot and it will barely look different to any of the top players. Another player may take his time through the steps breaking it down to the point where you can see him do each movement. It may look like hes stoping then starting each time he changes the movement. EG He gets ready to hit the shot, points his elbow waiting for the shuttle then flicks his forearm after a pause, then forces the follow through with his wrist.
    It will look rough and totaly different to the other player but its still the correct technique. Just his own style of comfort.

Surely that makes a bit more sense to you??? It seems your basing your arguments purely on how a player looks when hes hitting a shot. And as i mentioned more experienced players can pick incorrect technique just by watching someone. I can do that easily. But im not looking in general at how he looks whether its smooth or not. Im concentrating and focusing purely on the individual broken down movements in each shot.

16. chewablemorphin

You are really over thinking this, you need to make your points breif and to the point, nobody is going to read this.

17. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

My earlier reply was to the comment by Superbird. Sorry about that.

18. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Practice is key. There is no perfect technique because every situation is different, some backhands you will b in perfect positions, others you will be well out so you have to adapt grip, stroke motion, etc but the pros like Lin Dan, doesnt realli matter where they hit their backhand, it goes to back of court regardless.

I seen 1 shot and he had the birdie well behind him and low & he hit a backhand and it went flying to the end of the other court, I was absolutely stunned, jus so much power there, unreal. Didnt look possible but he did it.

That backhand compared to high ones infront of the body will have different motion, different grip and so forth so its al about experience, practice and trying to figure it out lol

19. chewablemorphin

There is a standard technique for backhands, you have to apply it as practical on a shot for shot bases. There are many factors you have to consider when hitting the bird: speed, trajectory, timming, balance ect... Knowing correct technique on a basic level, and applying it according to the situation on the court, takes a lot of practice. But all shots in badminton follow basic principles of either forhard, or backhand shots.

20. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Well you know you always have the option. Like being able to only do a drop to cover up for a non-existent backhand clear is not a good idea. Like warming up, one of the first things to do is to see the quality of the opponent's backhand.

Btw, gamepurpose, your english isn't that bad, it's just that you're laying out your posts in a confusing manner which makes it look like a big blob.

#40 Athelete1234, May 6, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2009