which side do you choose after a coin toss?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kwun, May 7, 2003.

?

which side do you choose after the toss?

1. Better side

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Worse side

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    Kwun,

After all those good points. You could consider if the bad court is bad for what conditions - draft, light etc.

Depending on what type of player you are and how well you adjust to the conditions will affect you choice. It might be more beneficial to try with the poor lights and fight on, knowing you will get a benifit in the second.
    It might be harder having had a good game it the better conditions to adjust to adverse settings that might throw your game.

2. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    the way i see it, if you have to take it to 3 sets, you get the better side twice

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    If i know the player is good , i usually get the better side. But if my stamina is up to it and i feel confident and good that time.. i will choose the worse side. Just in case i win in the worse side 1st set.. it will be easier for me to win 2nd set at the better side. Anyway its best to depend on your skills than which side is better.

4. gackt

gackt Regular Member

i play mixed doubles and mens doubles
    for the most part now, if i win the toss, ill just take the serve, this is because of the psycological advantage ill get if i could score 1 or more points before the opponent even touches the bird for their serve, if i could get 5 or more on first serve, im in real good shape

before this though, when i won the toss, i always picked bad side first, besides the obvious reason of switching to the good side at 8 on 3rd set, i did this because after playing and watching many games, i found that well over 50% of the time, the one who wins 2nd set usually wins the 3rd as well, another psycological thing where the winner of 2nd gets pumped and keeps momentum and the loser feels down because they failed to finish it when they had the chance (mental toughness plays a huge role in this)

and then before that, i used to do the beginner thing and gave the serve to the opponent

5. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

I alway take the bird, I'm gonna play on both side anyway

6. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    just a thought that came into my head. uhhh everyones gonna use caps and periods so i will too XD.

Let's see, in doubles for example. If you choose side, and your opponents choose to receive, you'll have to serve first. I sound like an idiot pointing out everything obvious :). Well....if you're serving first in doubles you've got ONE serve to lose. You can talk it out with your partner either to make that serve count for points.....OR you can drag the first rally on. Don't make yourself tired, just take a glimpse of how your opponents play as the rally lasts. Well I don't suggest you do this everytime because if you do your partner will get really fed up lol. I guess by the time you finish the rally you'll pretty much know everything about your playing style. It'll be a bit of a down-side if they catch on to your plan half-way through and start thinking about how you play though.

Back to the question, I usually pick the good court first. It might give me a slight advantage if I decide to use that method up there. It'll also be nice if you actually win the rally :D.

7. mandm

mandm Regular Member

Doubles i don't see this as big problem, which side to start, but would prefer to receive first to take advnatge of two serve.
    In singles i noticed that my game is stronger at the farside, no matter what, am still working on why i play bad on the near side but for some unknow reaosns to me i won most games when i am playing at farside

8. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Electronics Tech, Badminton Junkie!
    I do not care at all which end i start...............for me wining or losing can't be altered by this.

For others maybe, but I don't find any advantage.

At the stadium I play............I cannot distiguish which end is better.........only some courts are better than others. But the ends are so close in the surfaces stickiness or dustyness.

9. mandm

mandm Regular Member

i guess if you are playing in a torney, specially away from home, then you wouldn't know which side is better than the other so its no good thinking that side of the court could be important in wining or losing the game...

10. eguitarcoolboy

eguitarcoolboy Regular Member

The reason y i am choosing the better side as i wanna win the first game and give myself a better chance and more confident to play the second set. Worse comes to worst, i will still be on the better side for the first half of the third set and still have the chance to lead before changing court. coz i cant be possibly catch up when i am losing at the third set. I think it is all about mentality. Some ppl can play better after they lose the first game and catch up in the second and third set. But some ppl just can't play under great pressure and the risk to be knocked out. To be honest, i am still new to this sport as i just been playing for less than a year from now. i dont have the mentality to catch later on at this stage.

11. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

I haven't played in competition for a long, long time (maybe never). But, if I do, I would choose the side that does not have too many spectators facing me in the first game. Cos I get more nervous when too many ppl stare at me. When I settle down, I guess it doesn't matter anymore. :D

12. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    my precise thoughts :) :)

13. Tweak

Tweak Regular Member

Student
    Just recently I played in my city's zone eliminations at this one school, and the courts were pretty bad there. The lines were pretty much unseeable (those ones that aren't solid, just two parallel lines), and the ends of two courts were right up against the wall with less than a foot to spare. I had to play a round robin on one of the bad courts, and I took the good side first. I was up 8-1 at half, and then we switched sides. I went on to lose 15-13 because my opponent took advantage of the wall being behind me, and that caused me to lose a LOT of points.

I didn't really care which side I choose prior to this happening, but from now on when I play in school gyms I'll make sure to choose the bad side first because it's easier to come from behind when you know you have the good side for the next game.

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    If i win the coin toss, can i choose to receive first? I don't care much on court side since we change court at 11 on the rubber set.

15. BombaTwIsT

BombaTwIsT Regular Member

For some reason, i play better on the worse sides all the time.

There must be something wrong with me x.x

16. jump17

jump17 Regular Member

with the NSS, do you choose to serve or receive first? i personally choose to receive since you can begin your attack right away.

17. Heftiforex

Heftiforex Regular Member

Same for me. i noticed that i am much more concentrated on the worse side in order to see the shuttle all the time. the increased concentration leads to better shots, less misshits.

mostly the worse side means you have problems to see the shuttle because of blinding light or dark area.

18. viral52

viral52 Regular Member

Better or worse side?

i dont get it!!!
    if you win the coin toss why would you choose the worse side? i mean most people would want to choose the better side?
    plz reply
    -Viral:eek::confused:

19. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    maybe because you get the better side in the second set which may lead to an easy win or a comeback?

20. Sleepy

Sleepy Regular Member

Better side.
    Best of 3 therefore 2 games on better side.