which side do you choose after a coin toss?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kwun, May 7, 2003.

?

which side do you choose after the toss?

1. Better side

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Worse side

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    we're always faced with this sitation. at the start of the game, a coin/shuttle toss decides the service and sides per rule 6.

6. TOSS
    6.1 Before play commences, a toss shall be conducted and the side winning the toss shall exercise the choice
    in either Law 6.1.1 or 6.1.2:
    6.1.1 to serve or receive first;
    6.1.2 to start play at one end of the court or the other.
    6.2 The side losing the toss shall then exercise the remaining choice.

almost all gym/stadiums large or small have a better and worse side. if you get to choose the side, which side do you choose? the worse or the better? and why?

2. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    There is definitely a good side and bad side in my gym, caused mainly by poor light distribution and positioning. From one side, if the shuttle is hit to just right heght, it will be "lost in the lights". Luckily, though, the good/bad side effect only occurs in half of our gym as the other portion has decent lighting on both sides of court. But I still normally choose good side if I win toss because if I can win the first set, then I will have a psychological boost. However, on the downside, if I lose on the good side, then my confidence will be lowered.

Former English national player Derek Talbot recommended in one of his books to always choose the bad side first because it will much easier to finish a match on the good side. The way I look at it is, if I lose on the bad side, I can then switch to good side but I will have that first set loss on my mind and thus, lowered confidence level.

3. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    I know this is kinda off topic but....

If you get win the toss during a doubles game, is it better to serve first or choose the side?

And for choosing sides, I like to choose the side thats either west, or north, cus there like my lucky sides. I dunno why.

4. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    In doubles I think it's better to be receving than serving to start off as the first team only gets one serve. But if you choose side, they could still choose to receive serve.

5. Yong

Yong Regular Member

ICT consultant
    If there is a significant difference in good or bad side, i always choose the bad side.
    Pure practical reason being in the advantage position scoring the final points in third set. About the mental thing on winning first set : i try not to be too enthousiastic about winning one set ... as it takes 2 winning sets to win the game. :cool:
    Okay, in a 1-0 situation, i prefer too have won the set ... duhh
    But on the other side, in a 1-1 situation, i prefer to have lost the first set and won the second !

6. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    Why would you want to recieve first?:confused:
    You should always take advantage of serving first because you cna get points....

7. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Isn't deciding which end is bad dangerous because you may lose the toss and be forced to play the deciding game at the "bad" end, and it can become a self fulfilling prophecy.;)

8. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

For singles, I prefer to pick the bad side. e.g. The recent qualifications for OFSAA were held at a gym with terrible lighting, bad floors, and a wall not even a foot from the out line, therefore considered the bad side. Oh, and by terrible lighting, I meant that if you were on the bad side and it was sunny outside, sun would go through the windows and beam down and they gave white birds to the early matches since yellow ones were saved for final matches.. then you were doomed. The only time you could see it is the birds impact with the ground. So I like to start on the good side for the second game. If I win on the bad side, that pumps me up and if I lose, then I'll try my best to pump it since he'll lose alot of confidence. Third game will be switching sides so no biggie there really.

9. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Well, it's just my personal preference, because if my partner and I lose that first serve, it goes straight back to them and then we have to win 2 rallies to regain serve again. On the other hand, if the opposition serves first and loses the serve then it comes straight back to you. But it's all a matter of preference and the team with first serve may score several points before losing service, so there's a risk factor in both choices.

10. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    You should always choose serve to begin with in doubles. Assuming both teams are at a relatively equal level with each other, the team faced with receiving a serve will be under more pressure than a team that is serving. Why? If the receiver makes a mistake, then the server gets a point. If the server makes a mistake in the ensuing rally, then they only lose serve, and nothing on the scoreboard. The serving team can afford to make a mistake, while the receiving team cannot.

As you stated, if you lose the first serve, it goes straight back to them. Well, if you had given them serve and you lost the first rally, they get a point. (basically using your example to restate the first paragraph)

I remember when my friends and I first started playing, we would always choose to receive serve as well, since you "only get one serve."

Basically, in my opinion, taking first serve takes pressure off for the first rally. As long as you have serve, the other team cannot score a point.

Phil

11. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Choosing service first is not a bad option unless one does not want to play on "bad" court first. You're right in that the receiving side will have more pressure to deal with as they can only win back service while the opposition can win points. But, that pressure may well be turned the other way if the server is serving on a side with poor visibility or other distractions(aka my gym).

In the end, it really goes back to preference of court. If court choice does not matter, then, taking service is not a bad choice at all.

12. jasongu

jasongu Regular Member

student
    I don't know if this is smart or not, but whenever I win the toss or the flip of the bird, I always choose serve. =D Its just good practice, giving you an attacking mindset to begin with. If I lose the toss and the other person chooses serve, then I would always pick the worse side. In the long run, you are going to get the better end of the deal, mainly since anticipating a long game, you will finish the game on the good side. If it is a close and long 3 gamer, I really would not like to have to deal with the horrible side the last 8 points of the game. Also, if you lose the first one, you will know exactly whats wrong with the other side of the court so you possibly can exploit that in some way in the second. =D

13. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    In doubles it is better to serve first. I used to think that recieving is better, because the teachers at gym class taught it that way.

But if you serve first in doubles its just an extra serve. lets say both teams served 5 times, assuming the opposite team won the point. you will have 3 serves and the opponent will have 2.

On the court, i like to have the best court first. Cause its best out of 3 to 15 based on what alberta plays. So you win the first one, lose the second one, you still will be better off in the third game with your better side.

In my gym the air exchange system is always on so the bird always wobbles if your on the bad side. I also played in a gym where the air exhange system was on and it blew in from the side. So when i played a shot to the left it moved to the right. I find that i play better when i face away from the crowd.

14. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    How about just letting the bird decide who serves? Less confusing that way.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. that's the interesting part of this poll. there are pros and cons of each one:

better court first:

pros: get a head advantage. if the margin is slim and you can take advantage of the better court and wins the first game, then you have a psychological edge.

cons: if the game is stretched to 3 games, after the 8pt court change, you will be stuck on the bad side for the latter part of the deciding game.

worse court first:

pros: you get a better court for the 2nd game and latter part of the 3rd and decider game.

cons: you lose out on the head advantage on the first game, esp if you are unfamiliar with the gym. if you lose the first game, you have a psychological disadvantage.

personally, i used to choose the better court, but nowadays, i realized that since i am a slow starter anyway, having to work on the 1st game actually warms me up faster and i will play better on the subsequent games.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    are you missing the fact that you are supposed to switch court again at 8 points on the 3rd game? after that, you will be in the bad court again.

17. chan

chan Regular Member

i usually pick the better side, simply because as long as you gain momentum in your game... i dont think it matters which side you are on :D

18. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    thanks kwun, i never knew that. :) I just never see people switch sides in the 3rd game.

19. prophet

prophet Regular Member

teacher
    I think choosing sides depends on what type of player you are. Are you a comeback type player, or do you like being in front and getting a slight lead/psychological advantage? Also, some people take a while to warm up and really get their game in gear (for example: like how kwun describes himself) while others can just start with their pedal to the metal as soon as the game starts.

I usually play men's doubles with a partner who doesn't play well when behind (he gets rattled/nervous/embarassed), so taking that into consideration, I will choose the good side first. I want to be on the best side to try and win/steal the first game.
    I will also serve first if given the opportunity. My thoughts are that I want to jump out ahead (if I serve first, I get the first opportunity to score).

There's an old saying in track that some are born lead runners and some are born good finishers (with a good kick). In other words, some try to take an early lead, and try to hold on to the victory at the end (works great if you have a big enough lead!). Others like the challenge of falling a little behind, and it motivates them to work harder and finish with a good kick. I think it's the same with badminton; some like to take an early lead and seem to play better (like my friend in my scenario above). Others play better when they fall a little behind.

I think this is a consideration when deciding side/serve options- knowing yourself and how you play.

20. Californian

Californian Regular Member

I would choose the bad side for the first game because

(1) I feel it's easier to adjust from a bad side to a good side than the other way around,

(2) I'm usually a slow starter in a match, so if I'm going to lose that first game, I'd rather it be on the bad side,

(3) if I lose the first game on the bad side, getting the good side for game 2 is just another reason to be optimistic,

(4) if the match goes 3 games, I would finish on the good side.