Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    He is still stuck in his house. Why entertain him? If LD has got nothing to prove anymore, why not retire and enjoy his married life.

2. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    I am sure LD would want to retire with that bank account...just that OLY12 is in the way. CHN needs LD to win and LD wants OLY12 gold to seal his legacy and inflates his bank account. These are professionals, like me a working professional, I can say I love my job but I would not work for free and LD love badminton, at the end of the day, it $$$ we work for, nothing more, nothing less;)

3. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Uncle OTB, I was just refering to that joker's post.

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    OTB, your comparisons leave be bemused. As a professional you show up for your task and you complete the task, or you never get another chance! LD doesn't work for free either. He gets paid every day to do what he is supposed to: play badminton.

Last time I checked , badminton was still classified as a GAME, not as a PROFESSION. The difference is that there are no guarantees in the outcome of the game; you show up and do your best, that's all. Your bank account still keeps ticking over. It's your commitment to the game that is now in question; unlike the commitment that has been shown by an actual "professional" like Taufik, or a guy like Peter Gade.

BUT, if money has now become the overriding factor and the CBA or LYB or whoever will do anything to justify their ends, then maybe they should just stick to the CBSL where they can mess around with their own people and system. Let's see if their gambling home crowd appreciate their manipulation as much.

5. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Maybe ld is just unlucky one to be the 'chosen' one. His predecessors doesn't have this issue. Such is life. ;)

6. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    I don't mean to be rude to you, never do I intend that way...my post is to yours in red
    ...sorry.

7. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Badminton is a game, yes, we play that for fun or exercise or what-nots. But to LD and all CHN national players, LCW, TH and every player in BWF circuit, they are all 'playing' professionals, playing badminton is their livelihood and a job, except that the career is short, so better make the dough while you can...some players are very blessed to be rich from playing baddy, while many, many more would have a tough time retiring. BTW, there is no money in badminton, generally speaking. Take away LD, LCW and TH, name me the players that come close to what these folks are making from winnings, bonuses, title, endorsement, etc, etc.
    You say 'Bank account keeps ticking' right, tell that to TCS making <RM1000 a month and try retiring on that....LD or LCW does not even have to play badminton anymore, their endorsement $$$ far exceeds their earning.
    IMO, LYB targets are the majors that glorifies CHN, these SS events, except for CO or CM, LYB is using it as practice targets for his next generation of players, you are right LYB couldn't care less.
    BWF changes the WR qualifying rules mandating players to play 10 SS to qualify for OLY, that may get LYB to play his A list players when the SS means something, starting May 2011, right? Unfortunately, MO11 is not included this time yet.

8. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Seriously and honestly to god if I am lousy yellow brick

I would make sure there are more Lin Dan / Lee Chong Wei matches

because that is where the real money is,

real money that can go to my pockets

given the influences and power vested on me :D

9. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Because China Badminton wants him to continue and try for OLY12

just like Zhang Ning previously.

Meanwhile his job is to play his team role of paving the way for youngsters

and obey BWF requirements for qualification, like many, many before him.

A chief coach would not be able to keep his job unless he can deliver results, there is still a big gap between LD and team-mates.

10. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

A lot of Western thinking is very individualistic.For eg. When Kirsten Larsen was up and coming I saw Lene Koppen give her a

15-0,15-0 drubbing in the 1980 AE semis and reduced Kirsten to tears.

Compare it to Ina at that time, Liem Swie King must have thrown many matches for Hartono or Sugiarto to shine

all for the national cause and for the long term.Can you remember LSK or Hartono ever giving team-mates a 15-0 drubbing?

China is a Communist country and places a high emphasis on teamwork,Chen Hong in all his playing years

could never play in the Thomas Cup.That is why they have such a strong team and countries like Denmark or Malaysia

do not. Malaysia though is trying to instill this.

11. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    No "sorry" needed. There was no rudeness by you.

12. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I bet the local fans would go "LYB please marry me!!! I will do anything for you"

13. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Your comment is spot on

14. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

No because i was still 1 yr old at that time :D
    But seriously are you saying that LYB tactic is not new and INA team has done it before? To what extend? and which match that LSK gave away?

15. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Let's not open old wounds, Hartono would not be what he is if not for LSK and also LSK would not be what he is if not for

Hartono. I think it applies to Icuk too. Lsk is famous for throwing matches and giving opponents free points,once in the Ina Open

in 80s he was leading 14-1 in the final set against his Ina opponent who was undergoing a big trouble with his life,he even let his opponent catch up and win set and match.

I can remember all these clearly because at that time I had no credible msian player to support but followed more Hartono and LSK.

The only difference then and now and amongst teams is that China is the only team with so many players they can decide

who to win or lose.if I tell you the stories of how the Europeans used to fix Football matches to keep out Africans and others, it will make you wince. Talk about sportsmanship.

16. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Come on bros, let's give Lin Dan a break here , please stop arguing !

17. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Just to clarify : I thought it was Hartono then LSK then Icuk. How could LSK throw matches for Hartono. I remember during Thomas cup those days when both were playng. LSK was 1st single, Hartono was playing 3rd single. Can't remember who was playing 2nd singles for INA then.

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Please stop arguing !

This I agree. If Lin Dan wishes not to participate, then let Lin Dan not participate.

And also, if Lin Dan's bosses tell him not to participate, then Lin Dan should listen to his bosses. How can we, BCers, tell Lin Dan what to do? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

#1838 chris-ccc, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  19. flite

flite Regular Member

One of LD's predecessors is LYB as a player so stuff like this wasn't existed yet. It only happens when that one predecessor took charge.

20. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

well if you insist many people claim that the 1976 AE was not a fair fight.or the 1978 AE.
    Most times Hartono was 1st singles in Thomas Cup.
    even Zhao J H was suspected of giving his team-mates free passages in the run-up to the 92 Olympics,
    I think Zhao was LD's "predecessor",and if one really have followed badminton enough, even Tang Xian Hu
    was throwing matches.

#1840 Bbn, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011