2013 Yonex CANADA Open GP : Qualification-FINAL (16th-21st July 2013)

Discussion in 'US / Canada Open 2013' started by CLELY, Jul 16, 2013.

1. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

2. Anatta

Anatta Regular Member

BAT bans Bodin from local and international tournaments for life and Maneepong 6 months. However, since both of them pleaded guilty and used to bring good reputation to the country, the punishment is reduced to 2 years and 3 months respectively.

BAT’s manager and coach, Mrs. Rungnapa Pintuwat and Mr. Siripong Siripul, are banned from leading team to international tournaments for 3 months while Mr. Jane Piyatat of Granular is banned for 6 months. There is no punishment for Granular club.

Bodin and Granular got more severe punishment because they are the party that started the brawl.
    Everybody concerned can appeal within 30 days. BAT will report to BWF about this decision soonest while it is expected that BWF will announce its punishment decision on August 2.

The ban will make Maneepong unable to compete in World Championship 2013 in China between August 5-11.

http://www.matichon.co.th/news_detail.php?newsid=1374925646&grpid=03&catid=&subcatid=

3. Anatta

Anatta Regular Member

"I, Maneepong Jongjit, would like to apologize to my country, Thai people, respected persons, and everybody in badminton circle involved because I took part in making a bad reputation to our country. I accepted charges from BAT and BWF. I also would like to say 'Thank you' to friends, brothers and sisters, and higher-ups that are so concerned in this matter."

4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    did the two players apologise to each other?

5. Anatta

Anatta Regular Member

After Prof. Charoen made a statement (skipped), Bodin and Maneepong shook hands before the press. Bodin said “I would like to apologize to A (Maneepong), the President, the Secretary and officials of BAT. I also apologize to all Thai people because I tarnished the country’s image.” While Maneepong said “I would like to apologize to Thai people and officials in badminton circle, BWF and Canadian Badminton Association. I took part in defaming the country.”

After the press conference, Maneepong walked towards Mrs. Yajai Issara, Bodin’s mother and made a ‘wai’ (pressing two palms together with a slight bow) making an apology. He then held Bodin’s daughter, Mini, and asked “How are you doing kid?” The reporter asked Manaeepong if Bodin is still his friend.

Maneepong paused a few seconds before answered “Yes. Now there is nothing under my mind. I forgave him. I only want him to answer questions truthfully. I haven’t talked with him personally but we communicate through the process.”

(Savitree’s news skipped)

http://www.sportclassic.in.th/%E0%B8%82%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B0%E0%B8%88%E0%B8%B3%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%99/%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%AD-%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%AD%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%A9%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%97/

6. Anatta

Anatta Regular Member

He also wrote under the picture: #Sorry to make a late apology. #Hope it will end with justice and truth. #Today there is a press conference so I would like to make an apology at the same time.

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Thank you [MENTION=104918]Anatta[/MENTION] for the information and the translation. I think I speak for many here, when I ask you to try and keep us abreast of any further news or developments in this topic, from your "sources" ( ;) ) or the Thai media! :)

8. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    As i expected, BAT has banned Bodin for 2 years( Not more). Good decision. But have to hear BWF's version before commenting further.

#288 scorpion1, Jul 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  9. CantSmashThis

2 years compared to Maneepong's 3 months though. I think Maneepong should've gotten a bit more.

10. Jimmy_Goh

Jimmy_Goh Regular Member

Imo, I think the Badm Association Thai (BAT) needs to do a self reflection too (and meted with some punishment too to BAT).
    I, from television viewing and news reports, am able to "see" that both Issara & Maneepong are not on good terms (but I did not expect a "live boxing match" during a badm Final) even before London Olympics 2012.
    BAT could have mediated and gave stern warnings to the 2 of them then (because most can see these 2 as rising stars in MD, and Thai MD hope). The pair split was just a 1st step as Issara became an independent player, and media already reported that "people" are trying to keep these 2 players "apart".
    BAT could have intervened and stop having these 2 players playing in same tournament, or to take precautionary measures if they are playing in same tournaments.
    The Olympics WD has somewhat tarnised badm, and now this Thai MD ex-partners.
    :mad:

11. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    I disagree...you cant blame BAT...a while ago..some of INA players were not in good term and did play same tournaments...it was OK...it depends on the players...BAT cant be hold responsibility or that...all players have equal rights to enter any tournaments they wish.

12. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Agree with Hauge on this one, the players don't train together anymore so they've been kept apart as much as possible. They couldn't prevent either pair entering as that would show a perceived bias to one or the other. And once national associations start preventing players from entering tournaments, you start entering another territory that is trying to be eradicated by the players themselves.

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Here is what the BWF Judicial Procedures say under Section 5, Penalties and Finalcial Compensation.
    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file_download.aspx?id=357884&tid=1

I am just quoting a couple of relevant points here:

2. If appropriate, the judicial body concerned may recommend payment of money as financial​
    compensation against those (in particular member federations, clubs, players, officials) whohave behaved in a negligent or inappropriate manner that has caused financial loss or damage
    to another party.

Question: Will the Canada Open be in the line for compensation?

3. Any suspension is from all competitive events for such time as is seen fit, including possibly​
    for life.

Question: Will "all competitive events" include international leagues (which are usually run under the auspices of the host contry's National Association)?

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Granular Club seeks reduction in Bodin's ban from two years

Lerpong Amsa-ngiam
    The Nation July 29, 2013 1:00 am

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/spo...-reduction-in-Bodins-ban-from-t-30211333.html

Excerpt:

...However, Granular Club, which has Bodin in its roster, views the punishment as too severe. Club president Jane said he would launch an appeal to both BAT and the Badminton World Federation (BWF) to reduce the ban to one year or just six months. The BWF is set to hear the case on August 2.

"I understand that BAT would like to set a standard but a two year ban is too severe.

After the BWF announces its decision, we will file a petition," said Jane, who was banned from accompanying his team to local and international events for six months by BAT for failing to discipline his player.

Jane also said that Bodin was depressed because of the punishment. He said he would send Bodin to train with clubs in Taiwan, Malaysia and Indonesia during the ban to keep himself fit.

Meanwhile Maneepong said that although he accepts the decision by the BAT he regrets missing out on playing in three big up-coming events, next week's World Championship in Guangzhou, the China Masters and the Japan Open.

"I think I will go back to my hometown in Phuket to recover from my injuries and regroup mentally," said Maneepong.

15. CantSmashThis

16. jyeung

jyeung Regular Member

Here's another communicate:
    Dear all,
    I’m Bodin, also known as Art. After I have returned from my trip, I have spent some time to consider and discuss with many respected members regarding the event in which I have injured a fellow professional who was also my friend in front of many spectators. I realize that my action was wrong and I regret my action. I should have had more self control.

I would like to apologize to the ...BWF and its members, Badminton Canada, The Badminton Association of Thailand Under His Majesty's Patronage, its supporters and everyone. I accept all responsibilities for my own action.

Apart from the above statement, I would like to apologize to each individuals starting from respected members and committee from Granular club. I hope that my action would not cause issues between the club and the Association. I would like to apologize to the Badminton Association of Thailand and the judges to have caused such a terrible incident. I also would like to apologize to “Top” who is my partner that I may have tainted his reputation and may even cause him a place in future tournaments. If Top would like to find a new partner, I would understand and gladly accept his decision.

Lastly, I would like to apologize to "A" Maneepong who was my partner and also the person I attacked. I should not have dragged him into this situation. I cannot express the grief that I’m in to have caused such an incident from my own temperament. I didn’t expect that our past differences would have erupted as it did. I’m truly sorry. I should have handled the situation differently. I’m very sorry that my action has also caused him a penalty.

I realize that my action was wrong. I accept all blames and responsibilities. This terrible incident was caused by my action and my action alone. I’m extremely sorry for my action and if I had been able to control myself, all of this wouldn’t have happened. As of this moment, I can only apologize and accept all responsibilities from my action. I know that this will not make things right, but I do hope that all of you would give me a chance. A chance to prove that I’m a better person than this. A chance to make rights from the wrongs that I have done. A chance to better the image of the sport I love and that I have tainted. With all my sincere apology.

Bodin Issara (Art)

17. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Quite Artistic!

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If you really want to look for a precedent, go back 12 years. A badminton player went into the stands and hit a spectator (who was heckling him) with his racquet. I am not sure what bwf (or IBF) gave as punishment but am almost certain no ban was given.

Drugs gets you a two year ban. I think a punishment should be 1-2 years as Scorpion1 suggested. But I really think the previous situation of a player hitting a spectator should be used as guidance.

19. visor

visor Regular Member

^ iirc that heckler was not hit by the racket but a water bottle that was thrown ended up hitting another fan sitting nearby.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Are you sure ...?

What happened afte the water bottle was thrown and missed the heckler ?