Yonex Voltric 80 ( VT80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by fiq_axis, Jan 31, 2011.

1. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Heh...my wife might have a problem with that ;).

Honestly...it's probably the fact that I'm using the right type of racket. Prior to the VT80...I was using the Kimoni NP3000 (flex and even balanced) 4UG2 with BG65 @ 26lbs. At the time, I thought I needed something that would give me more power and quickness. I guess after 2 years with it...I out grown the NP3000. Thus I went with something different. I went with the VT80 cuz it was newer and I never played with a HH racket before. It took some getting used to but it addressed some of my weak points (ie, smashes and clears). I might have been just as successful with the MX80. I chose Yonex cuz it was more familiar and I was clueless of other brands.

Singles play also has been a boon. I find that I don't tire as easily anymore and I don't give up on shots either (as I would have normally done). It's my only workout during the week as my weekend games are more family/friendly play.

Playing with feathers has enhanced the games. Everything is just better with feathers.

As of now...I'm probably top dog among my friends. :cool:

My Arc10 friend and I wish to play more competitive doubles game (other than with our friends) just to challenge ourselves to improve. We are also looking at maybe taking lessons. But that probably won't happen until a couple years later. I feel bad leaving my wife at home alone taking care of our daughter. But when my daughter's older and sleeps earlier...I might be able to sneak out another night to get some more games in. :D

#1721 CanucksDynasty, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  2. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

You just want more time with your VT80 :p

3. CanucksDynasty

I'll be cheating on my VT80 soon as I want to get the MX70 and possibly the MX80. :p

4. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    Just use this line, "it's me, Hon, not you" :)

5. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

i thought commercial ads are not allowed on BC

6. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
  7. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

8. CanucksDynasty

Show us a pic of the VT80LTD when you get it.

Also you should put the specs for your sale racket (ie. 3UG4).
    Serial numbers might also help too.

9. MilGauss

MilGauss Regular Member

Looking forward to your feedback regarding AS30. Hopefully, it'll help differentiate the many quality aspects of the AS line from 50 down to 10, thereby knowing which is the best bang for the buck (at least in the Yonex line). Thnx.

...sorry to jump the Voltric 80 racquet for AS birdie.:)

#1729 MilGauss, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  10. CanucksDynasty

Played on the weekend. Mainly mens doubles and some singles (since the wives went shopping instead :rolleyes: and thankfully took the kids). But played with plastics Mavis 300. I had a so-so session. My strings were dead cuz I haven't restrung them since I bought the racket (3-4 months with BG80). Every smash I did was slow and pathetic. So afterwards, restrung at ClearOne with NBG-98 @ 27lbs. The lady sounded surprised when I said 27lbs. I then showed her that the VT80 could take such a high tension. I wonder if I should be worried.

First time using NBG-98. Hope it will play well. Next time I'll use BG66UM. Then I'll decide which strings I want to stay with. Maybe buy bulk strings and just pay for the stringing job.

11. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

I'll wait patiently for your verdict.... I started off with BG80 on my VT80 and I didn't like it...
    Then I got the BG66UM... Didn't like them at first... Felt dead... But then I guess the strings settled a bit and then I liked it...
    Now I have NBG98 on them and when I first used it... It was like BAM!!! Power and control was there... But now it's been a month or so and my NBG98s feel dead... My friends think I'm making excuses but I can't explain to them that when I hit the bird... It feels and sounds different...
    Planning to get some BG85's on them next... I've had terrible experience with the BG85s but I love the way it feels and sounds... Except they break after 2 weeks... EVEN when used on my backup racquet...

12. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    Skip the BG66UM, 'coz it loses tension faster than you can say wtf. Go with BG66 Maxima J instead. I like that and NBG98.
    Hopefully the ltd comes in today.

13. CanucksDynasty

Will do. Let me know what your results were too. I really need to change my strings more often though. I knew it was playing worse when my Arc10 friend started returning my first smash at a 90% success rate. It lack the oomph about a month ago.

Yeah...I guess I will do that also. My goal here with the strings (and feathers) is to try the Yonex brand first and see what I like/prefer. Then try other brands that mirror closely to the type I chose and is the better pricing and availability.

Heh heh...I'm kinda hoping my VT80 (3UG4) racket will break so I can buy 2 new VT80s (3UG5) :p. I'm thinking the G5 grip will be better for me cuz I'm having difficulty in performing flicks and deceptive shots.

14. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

I know how you feel.... Yesterday I was playing singles with my friend (we never play singles... so we really sucked) and I can't return his smashes properly... I think it's time for a restringing... UGHHH I don't want to because I feel like I'm wasting money... But I am playing soooo much better with my fresher AT900P with NBG95... And it's really blows!!!

15. Limited328

Limited328 Regular Member

oh, my friend is selling his VT80 3UG5? PM me if you're interested (with price), and I'll get more details from him. He used it 2-3 times, and says that it's too HH for him and went back to Nano9900

16. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    Heh heh...I'm kinda hoping my VT80 (3UG4) racket will break so I can buy 2 new VT80s (3UG5) :p. I'm thinking the G5 grip will be better for me cuz I'm having difficulty in performing flicks and deceptive shots.[/QUOTE]

I was using 3UG4, and that was ok ... then I got a 3UG3, took the original grip off, then put on the Yonex AC102EX Supergrap...and that was perfect. Too thin a handle-grip would offer lack of grip when smashing, imho.

17. CanucksDynasty

Umm...you're in ON while I'm in BC. Price of shipping = sales tax. I might as well just buy a new one. Besides...I need my VT80 to break first ;). Then I can say to the wife...they had a deal...buy 2 for lesser price...and I save X dollars. Best excuse I can think of at the moment. :eek:

I think this year alone...I want (repeat want) to spend close to $1000 (spent $350 so far) on badminton stuff. And no future purchases for a long time (except feathers and strings).

Gonna get the Victor BG610 backpack.
    Gonna get SBH102LTD (black/yellow).
    1 x VT80 (3UG5)
    1 x MX70 (3UG2)
    grips, etc
    (all of it for the backpack to take with me for my weekly singles games at night).

Using my current beat up 6 racket bag for the family/friend weekend play.
    That will have my SBH102MX shoes along with my wife shoes.
    It'll have my current VT80 (3UG4), MP66 and NP3000 and other stuff.
    I'll wait to upgrade the bag and contents.

Well...at least that's the plan. :D

#1737 CanucksDynasty, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  18. CanucksDynasty

Possible. Won't know unless I try.

19. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

CanuackDynasty.... how much are they selling CD coded VT80 over there?

20. CanucksDynasty

Last week at Tad's was quoted $200 + tax = $224 (Canadian dollars). It's a bit cheaper (not CD coded) with RKEP at $189 + shipping (ie. $25 or so) and you get 10 free RKEP grips (about $8 worth). = $214. It's gotten more expensive at mybadmintonstore for some reason.