Indian Badminton League (IBL)

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by depleter, Nov 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Last two are already posted in this thread..

2. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    And well...the official website is revamped and is looking quite good now.but looks like there is no live streaming...or may be starsports will livestream in it's site like it does for cricket....
    http://www.indianbadmintonleague.co/

3. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    I did't see the daren one though..lol

4. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Wow, great sponsor. This is surprising as they made a statement saying they were ending for the most part this type of sponsorship, so fair play for getting them on board.

Morten Lundal, Vodafone's chief commercial officer, said in a statement:The below statement was the announcement of their coming departure from F1(along with other sports)

"Our relationship with McLaren has been a key ingredient in bringing the Vodafone brand to where it is today. However, our brand is evolving, and we've concluded we will have less of a need for this kind of exposure in future." The split from McLaren follows the ending of other long-running sponsorships with Manchester United, the England cricket team and Champions League football." Guardian UK

5. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    lol..well that's UK and this is India.....Vodafone as a brand is good, but it's still behind Airtel and Relaince in terms of network subscribers....So, it still needs marketing and with India crossing the billion mark in terms of mobile subscribers the competition is sure high

6. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

F1 is worldwide. In fact I would say TV viewing figures in India for F1 will be larger than any badminton. Vodafone not biggest in uk either.

7. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    Uhmmm...lol..scrap that UK tho....

But badminton and F1 wise, badminton have a wider appeal tho....and TV figures are yet to be seen because badminton was never even broadcasted properly to have a TV appeal....Ad why would they sponsor world wide for promoting in India though....All I said is they need promotions in India

8. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Lol I know, they need more promotions every where not just India. But as I stated before in first post, they were pulling out of this kind of sponsorship, i.e sports leagues and teams. All I am saying is it is fair play good on them for bagging the sponsorship even though it is contrary to Vodaphone's current strategies.

9. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]IBL: Malaysian Tey Seu Bock becomes Mumbai Masters coach[/h]
    http://www.sportskeeda.com/2013/08/11/ibl-malaysian-tey-seu-bock-becomes-mumbai-masters-coach/

EXCERPTS:

Indian Badminton League (IBL) franchise Mumbai Masters on Sunday announced it had named Tey Seu Bock the chief coach while former Indian national champion Aparna Popat will be the team advisor.

Speaking on his appointment, Bock said: “It is an honour to be associated with a team which already has star players. It will be a new experience for me to travel with players from all across the world in an event which is taking badminton to a completely new level.”

10. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Will LCW be able to participate in IBL??? I have my doubt now. He is injured today and is that just muscle cramps??

I hope he will recover soon and take part in the Indian badminton league.

11. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/18738...n-worlds-final-wei-confirms-ibl-participation

Owners of Mumbai Masters, Indian Badminton League’s Mumbai franchise, had a worried look on Sunday when Malaysian Lee Chong Wei struggled to even stand and had to be stretchered off when Chinese Lin Dan was at match-point in the World Badminton Championships final at Guangzhou.

However, they were relieved when they were told that Wei had only suffered from cramps.

Ashish Chadha, CEO of Sporty Solutionz, commercial partner of IBL, told dna on Monday that Wei has confirmed his participation in the million-dollar league and would arrive in New Delhi on August 14, the day IBL begins.

“I spoke with Chong Wei and he has confirmed that he is coming for the IBL. I am waiting for his medical reports. He was scheduled to arrive on August 13, but has postponed it to August 14,” Chadha said.

Mumbai Masters begin their campaign on August 15 in Delhi against Banga Beats.

V Chamundeshwarnath, co-owner of Mumbai Masters, told this paper that he was confident that Chong Wei would arrive in time for the IBL. “Gopichand told me after the final that Chong Wei had only developed cramps and it should not be a problem. He was taken to the hospital for a complete check-up and he should be fine to play in IBL,” Chamundeshwarnath said.

World No. 1 Chong Wei fetched the highest price — $1,35,000 — in the IBL player auction last month.

Chamundeshwarnath added: “I was personally there for the World Championships and spoke with Chong Wei but did not see him after the final. The IBL organisers are there in China and we are in touch with them.”

12. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    So, basically this will be stadium which will host the finals of IBL...

nscistadiummumbaisyq1-1844431.jpg

Sardar-Vallabhai-Patel-Indoor-Stadium-design-by-Shashi-Prabhu-Associates-800x531.jpg

NSCI.jpg

Well...I can't get recent photos..All I can get is cricket stadium with the same name..lol

13. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    So, at least to me, Indian Badminton League sounds like a subjective show for local pop stars, instead of objective sports competition.

As Indians don't even know the names of Lee CW, Lin D, Chen Long, why not just choose Marc ZWIEBLER who is good enough to handle all Indian players, but cost only $15k comparing to PARUPALLI Kashyap $75k

by the way, Zwiebler holds winning head to head to almost all indian players:

Marc ZWIEBLER (ranked 14) vs PARUPALLI Kashyap (ranked 17) - 2:0

Or they can even choose Xue Song, ranked 147th, but head to head winning records.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    2cents, you answered your own question with the first sentence.

15. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    And seriously though... I am sorry but I am kind of fed up with all this "this concept is gonna fail for sure" .....Well...some said directly and some said indirectly ....But nobody ever even gave a chance for the tournament to start to see how it goes....All the 30 pages discussion in this thread seemed like how to undermine the tournament and seemed like nobody even cares about what it brings to the table at the end of the day....Well..yeah, I accept that the management had it's fair share of flaws with no clear information and some over the top boasting of itself, but people are only seeing them but not actually looking at the big picture....Well, if the tournament and the concept really fails..the you can freely say it has flopped, but if you read from the start of this thread it seemed like people wanted it to flop even before it started....

Well whatever, my rant is over, so take care.....

16. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    This is something like personal attack on IBL before even thinking about what CBSL is doing at present.. Lol. IBL is much more better in any ways than CBSL, where you can find only unknown chinese faces.. But IBL has given so much space to foreign nationals including many(nearly 24 players). I bet you to show me "how many foreign nationals you people invited to participate". If you have source with number of participants from different countries, just show us so that we will be able to clearly validate the both..:D .. You are talking about H2H between players here. Recently, world no. 12 Sindhu has beaten defending champion world no.5(former world no.1) in straight sets in front of home crowd. Here in this case H2H worked out??. Complete failure.??? :D So, before talking about IBL, i want you to show me some proof about CBSL with number of foreign players with their complete salary etc. Then we will discuss further things..

CBSL is the only one sounds like a subjective show for local pop stars, instead of objective sports competition :D.

17. XoXoXo

XoXoXo Regular Member

exactly what I want to know :p :)

[h=1]Is India really interested in badminton? IBL will give us the answer[/h]http://www.firstpost.com/sports/are-indians-really-interested-in-badminton-ibl-will-give-us-the-answer-1026437.html

These are heady days for Indian badminton. Three players reached the quarterfinals in the recent World Championships – with PV Sindhu winning bronze in the women’s singles. Sindhu beat the defending champion Yihan Wang on her way to the semi-finals, while P Kashyap beat World No 6 Yun Hu before falling in the quarter-finals in a tight match.

If there was one disappointment, it was Saina Nehwal’s defeat in the quarterfinals, which meant a World Championship medal continues to elude her. Nehwal, though, has been hampered by injuries this year and as her fitness goes, so does her confidence, explained journalist Abhijeet Kulkarni.

“Somewhere since the London Olympics, she has suffered quite a few injuries and that has affected her confidence,” he said. The result is Saina struggles to claw her way back when she is down because she is unsure of how her body is going to hold up.

On the credit side of the ledger is Sindhu’s growing consistency and confidence. Sindhu’s height means she can take the attack to the Chinese while Saina has to play a more defensive game.

Kulkarni also pointed out India’s male badminton players, be it Prakash Padukone or Pullela Gopichand, tended to mature later. So that bodes well for Kashyap, who should continue to get better.

The Indian Badminton League, set to start on 14 August, will also give the Indian players more opportunities to test themselves against the world’s best. It will also pit Saina against Sindhu for the first time in their professional career. They will go head-to-head on Independence Day in what will be the most anticipated match for any Indian fan.

The league should also serve as a barometer for the depth of support for badminton in India, Kulkarni said.

18. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Do you think before you write? How can IBL be better than CBSL already when the tournament hasn't even kicked off yet? IBL had to give up space to foreign players otherwise it wouldn't work! India doesn't have the same strength in depth that China has in order for them to have a league without foreigners participating.

Deluded.

19. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Even without any strength, 18 year old girl was able to beat defending world champion , where is your strength now..:D.

You also think before you write?? ;)

#499 scorpion1, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  20. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Are you actually being serious? You're forgetting that Sindhu lost her next game to another 18 year old, so where is YOUR strength now?

Saina has lost to a number of players outside the top 20 recently yet you're claiming one result as gospel. Well done you *claps sarcastically*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.