Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    all the oldies(include tan wk/hoon th+lim kw/goh vs) in md lost to 2 pair of former wjc md champion.

2. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Courtesy of NST :

BAM does it again

By Devinder Singh

PUZZLING MOVE: Tengku Mahaleel postpones the announcement on new men's doubles

BADMINTON Association of Malaysia (BAM) president Tengku Mahaleel Tengku Ariff prevented coaches Paulus Firman and Pang Cheh Chang from revealing the new men's doubles combinations to the media yesterday.
    Tengku Mahaleel offered a perplexing "No, no, no" when reporters turned up at the Juara Stadium in Bukit Kiara waiting for the announcement.
    The men's doubles pairings were supposed to have been announced yesterday but Tengku Mahaleel gave no explanation for his silence before retreating into a corner for a discussion with the doubles coaches.
    With the exception of the two main doubles pairs of Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong and Hoon Thien How-Tan Wee Kiong, a reshuffle of the other pairings were expected yesterday.
    But the latest media snub is just one of several missteps by Tengku Mahaleel since his election as BAM president on July 27.
    Tengku Mahaleel has been inconsistent with his decision making which at one point prompted the resignation of national singles coach Rashid Sidek.
    The president's attempted reform of BAM has also come to nothing with two major changes he initiated having both been rolled back.
    A coaching restructuring by talent management group director Tan Aik Mong sat uneasily with the coaches, including Rashid, which led to the former's resignation.
    An attempt to do away with the executive committee and sub-committees also failed to materialise after BAM did not make the necessary amendments to its constitution.
    When reinstating the sub-committees, Tengku Mahaleel had also refused to divulge the names of the respective sub-committee chairmen.

Read more: BAM does it again - Badminton - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/sports/badminton/bam-does-it-again-1.374700#ixzz2hf8R3kuE

What is this Tengku doing?

3. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    Tengku/Bam doing nothing for the game - they just hope for luck that another Sidek family or LCW will turn up at their doorstep.
    Well, they will have a long wait, maybe another 20 to 30 years AD, I mean AR ( AD after death but AR after retirement of you know who).
    MAS will be going through another mediocre period - the what I call Phua AH Hua/Saw Swee Leong period, when the best Malaysian players will be ranked in the 20s only.

4. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Phua Ah Hua the policeman and Saw Swee Leong? You are really a "senior"

5. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    That is nothing...me went back to Tan Aik Huang, Ng Boon Bee era:crying:

6. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    @ OTB
    Wondering if anyone is at Wong Peng Soon, David Freeman era. :D

7. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    I love to study sports history especially football and badminton and watching
    old recordings. You don't have to be senior/old inorder to be knowlegable.

Imagine playing with those yoneyama rackets and still producing magic on court!
    Those earlier players are strong and fit but not so speedy with their rubber
    shoes!

Today players are lucky to be assisted by amazing technologies.

8. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Err...I am not at that stage yet, but getting there:D Those chaps who grew up watching these fellows today must have poor vision, fake choppers (i.e. teeth), aching back, and go to bed real early or fell asleep watching badminton on the telly:p

9. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Dude, just admit we are soon to be geezers or geezers already:D...on the positve side, financial freedom in sight call it Freedom 85:D, on the negative side, you give a pass on those good looking chicks flying by, can see cannot touch or the old wifey will smack you silly:p

10. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    chan kwong beng reach bitburger gp gold semi final.
    once against those who leave bam prove they can do better than those who remain in bam.

11. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

even ng hui lin/ng hui ern can made it to semi final...

12. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    well,personally have no comment about player who had privilege(can sparring with national team anytime even they already quit bam) power play~:rolleyes:

13. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    The truth is, you have to e "lucky" to be able to play in the old days.

There are limited courts and only privilege few has the financial freedom to pursue hobby. In the old days, most people are struggling to earn a living.

If my memory serve me right, Ng boon bee was able to win so many all England titles because he can afford to travel there. Back in those days without "airasia" traveling is a super luxury.

They also live in a time when everyone else struggle to live and they have time to pursue hobby...

Today players are lucky but Definately not as lucky as old days players

14. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Those days, we play in "open air" courts and have to be at the court at 6.00am to "chup" (book) the court before others.

15. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    I dunno what you refer to as 'those days'...during my time in the 60's and 70's, 'those days' we drew lines in the dirt ground and string a net with height unknown and play in open courts when the wind blew we stopped till the wind stopped. My friends are like me poor like a church mice, there was no way any of us could afford those Dunlop/Yoneyama rackets but we do have great friendship till these days and happily we played together in our small world, not knowing what's better out there. Even my school did not have indoor court, and I have never played in one. Each time I went home, my friends treat me like I never left, I consider myself rich with friends for life. Now I heard of you guys buying hundreds of ringgit racket, you are really blessed. As for air travel, I had never taken a flight in my life and my first flight was a 1-way international flight to Canada to study engineering. And when I first arrived in Canada, here I was alone in the airport, and took a bus to YMCA and began my 30+ years stay in Canada. Now I am eyeing retirement, and how do I ever know that, that flight out of Malaysia was a flight out for good.

16. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    With that 1 way international flight to Canada, Malaysia probably lost one one of her great badminton player but definitely lost one of her talents.

17. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    I put a pillow under my head and thunk over your post over the weekend;)....hmmm, OTB 'MAS great badminton player' 'one of her talents' sounds gooood and why not?:D It brings honor to my family, patriotism to MAS, rub shoulder with those CHN/INA chaps and beat the heck out of them (I wish):p....but then I suddenly wake up from my sleep and realize that my favorite player ZJH only gotten that $1.5K to $3K over-sized cheque for winning Opens in those days, not even worth to invest my time and gets back pain, ham string pull, in this baddy thingie,and when I am done, I have to open a Hainan chicken birdie rice shop to survive. Add to that, the most I get for being a baddy star in those days is a second hand Proton that cannot even putter up the hill to Genting before it smokes up, not the Ferrari thingie, not the Dato thingie, definitely not the connection that Dato has, not the 100 Plus, YY endorsement that LCW gets these days. Anyway, thanks for thinnking so highly of me, but I thunk I pass. But your post certainly makes me thunk deep....hmmm, baddy star of MAs, face of MAs baddy....nah, it is far safer to do engineering and a Lexus waiting for me when I retire;)

#1857 OneToughBirdie, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  18. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    OTB,

Your weekend well spent.

From your above post, I sensed there is small sign that you may have been a good and promising badminton player but lack passion to pull you through to become a successful badminton player. Those days, passion is the thing that changed lives and you probably did the right thing to do engineering.

On another note, there are many successful Hainanese Chicken Rice businesses.:)

19. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badminton/2013/11/08/Coach-Paulus-quits-BAM.aspx

Coach Paulus quits BAM

by rajes paul

[​IMG]Coach Paulus Firman (right) giving instructions to Tan Wee Kiong (left) and Goh V Shem in a file photo. Paulus will be returning home to Indonesia because of family problems.

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD="align: left"][/TD]
    [TD]Email[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: gig-button-td"][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD="align: left"][/TD]
    [TD]Facebook[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD]
    9​
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

KUALA LUMPUR: It is not even one year but Indonesia’s Paulus Firman has quit as Malaysia’s badminton coach.
    On Thursday, the soft-spoken Paulus, who joined Malaysia’s stable as a coach in January this year, said that he had submitted his resignation letter to the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) at the end of October.
    Paulus would have loved to continue coaching but some family problems back home in Jakarta has forced him to review his status with BAM. He will serve out his contract until the end of this month before returning to Indonesia.
    “It is just unfortunate that I have to leave. I have handed in my resignation letter. I have to put the interest of my family first and that is the only reason behind my decision,” said Paulus, who was a women’s doubles coach with the All-Indonesia Badminton Association (PBSI) prior to his arrival in Malaysia.
    “I know it is only a short stint here but I have enjoyed working with the Malaysian shuttlers,” said Paulus, who coached Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong and several other men’s doubles players.
    When asked what his plans are and whether he would join Indonesia’s national team under the guidance of national coaching director Rexy Mainaky, he said: “For now, my plan is just to go back home.”
    Without Paulus in the BAM set-up, Pang Cheh Chang is set to oversee all the men’s doubles pairs. Besides Kien Keat-Boon Heong, there are seven other pairings and it will be a huge task for Cheh Chang to handle alone.
    The seven pairs are Hoon Thien How-Tan Wee Kiong, Goh V Shem-Teo Kok Siang, Lim Khim Wah-Ow Yao Han, Teo Ee Yi-Chooi Kah Ming, Yew Hong Kheng-Tan Yip Jiun, Nelson Heg Wei Keat-Tan Wee Gieen and Tai An Khang-Low Juan Shen.
    Paulus is the second key person to leave the BAM set-up under the new administration headed by Tengku Tan Sri Mahaleel Tengku Ariff.
    In September, Tan Aik Mong gave up his position as the BAM’s Talent Management Group (TMG) director after 18 days on the job because all his new plans were rejected.
    Currently, Tengku Mahaleel is acting as the TMG director.
    National singles coach Rashid Sidek also quit the national team in September because he did not like the changes made by Aik Mong then. However, upon the advice of Youth and Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin and following Aik Mong’s decision to leave, Rashid rejoined the national fold.
    Rashid currently trains the men’s singles players with Tey Seu Bock and Hendrawan.
    For the record, Paulus is one of the many foreign coaches in the last 13 years who have had a taste of coaching in Malaysia before leaving. The others are Rexy, Yoo Yong-sung, Park Joo-bong, Morten Frost and the late Indra Gunawan

20. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

Nobody wants to stay on a sinking ship. Getting tired of your sh1t, BAM !