2013 Indian Badminton League (August 14 - 31)

Discussion in '2013 Tournaments' started by chris-ccc, Feb 19, 2013.

1. HotShotsHyd

HotShotsHyd Regular Member

GOH/LIM played well in the first game. Played opposite to 1st in the 2nd game. In the final game, they have targeted Boe and that paid off.

2. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

That was all his amazing serves.:D

Btw Goh/Lim played well they looked like a trained pair and just managedto unravel Kido/boe who played a bit disjointed. They started targeting Boe on defense which worked well.

3. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Saina is the player of the IBL. No surprise

4. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Of course, the nations sweetheart.

5. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    I attended the final. It was a wonderful experience. I thought Warriors had a tough grip on the match with Gurusaidutt in total control in second game too. Midway, the tide turned. Ajay came back wonderfully. Had Guru won, Warriors could have won the XD and the title.

Srikanth's game was sublime. Saina is too good for Sindhu. Sindhu has to wait. I have a feeling Gopi purposefully tells Sindhu not to win against Saina. Sindhu is way better than what she plays against Saina.

But gotto give it to Saina. Winning all 7 matches is not a child's play. Still is a nation's sweetheart.

Kido is surprisingly popular amongst the crowd. His smashes with a grunt are instant hit. People just love it. Sadly their opponents rarely lifted the shuttle.

Ajay Jayaram's down the line smashes impressed me the most. And Guru's crosscourt drops.

By the way, stay tuned in this thread for couple of days. I have a photographic treat for you guys. Will take some time for me to sort, edit and post.

#1045 paroxysmal, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  6. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Winner got $494682.50 cheque. If the team has got 13 members (including coaches), each one will receive $38,052.50.

Runner got $270933.80 as cheque. If the team has got 13 members (including coaches) , each one will receive $20,841.06

Player of the tournament - Saina Nehwal - $1000
    Player of the smashes - Vladimir Ivanov - $1000

Really lucky for junior players. They are getting this cheque even without playing. Nice to see so much of crowd for this IBL. All the franchisee owners declared this first edition as "Hit" and they are very much looking forward to the next edition. Nice to see all the franchisee owners turned out in the finals.

7. EvenBetter

EvenBetter Regular Member

Be careful what you are saying! It is match fixing isn't it :D
    I suppose the whole nation will not be so proud..:p

8. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Yup, she won all her matches here including the final against her successor in the making P.V. Sindhu, congrats to Hyderabad Hotshots :)

She becomes IND badminton megastar particularly after won bronze in London Games.

9. gopalprasad

gopalprasad Regular Member

Software Architect
    Wouldnt go to that level as Gopichand saying so.... Sindhu meanwhile might have to keep low herself, she has to improve and wouldnt want to be the target no.1 so early in her carreer and let them figure her out, let IR, SN, JS be taking over all the preparation time and practice before a tournament, when you are different from these three & equally well it makes life easier for you.

Sindhu is definitely way better or else her record against other top 10 players wouldnt have been possible. Only IR and SN look better then her at the moment in the world WS.

10. gopalprasad

gopalprasad Regular Member

Software Architect
    IBL definitely impressed me and to me it was better then a few SS premiere events...
    Indian players who might have benefitted on account of confidence & popularity:
    (Apart from the money & learning per-se, every player got that)
    SN - out of her recent result, this tournament again established her self-confidence, she only has to figure out IR and watch out against LXR and WYH
    IR has improved tremendously starting last December, hence she needs another figuring out.
    Sindhu - The final again was a good built up lost only against Saina and TTY
    Srikanth - Of all the Mens player there are a lot of them he rose to this occassion
    Ajay Jayram - Took HH to the podium even when there doubles team wasnt that good.
    All the doubles players

11. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Ajay Jayaram was the star for me in the finals. The match was almost lost. But Guru tried too hard in the first game and early on in the second, only to lose the steam in the later half. It seemed impossible that Ajay would still win, but he made less unforced errors when it mattered. Had Ajay lost, there was no way Hyd could win the XD. That was an astonishing comeback

12. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Are you sure this is what happens? I thought the players got their salaries and maybe bonus, but the prize money would be kept by the franchise to try and balance out the massive outlay they have paid. This is certainly how it was put across at the start. I am almost 100% sure that this is not shared amongst the players. Where you getting this from please?

Another question just out of curiosity, the players got bought for 2 year contract, so is their (i.e $25k)that they got at auction a yearly salary or a payment for both seasons, basically $12.5k a season???

#1052 craigandy, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  13. sportsfantb

sportsfantb New Member

I think it's their yearly salary. Orelse, those that got sold for $10,000 would only be making $5000 a year and that is not a huge sum for them to be really excited about to play in IBL. I am talking about foreign players here. Most of them are highly ranked and they could earn that amount outside of IBL without complicating things with their respective country's BA. If it's a payment for both seasons, then all that fuss about IBL being an opportunity for players to earn more money and haave finalcial security would be BS. :p

14. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

If you are to look at it logically, their auction price was x amount and they are contracted for 2 years, so I think this is most likely their 2 year payment. They may receive other small bonuses along the way along with travel and accommodation, but I would be surprised if they got this amount again next year even though they are contracted to 2 years. I obviously don't know the answer that's why I asked but I would say this is most probable.
    All the fuss that comes out of the press over there I assume only comes out because you can still bribe/control what you want the press to write for marketing, because most of what has been written about this league has been blatant in it's lies. Saying that there is still massive opportunity look at LCW's price and JS price.

#1054 craigandy, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  15. sportsfantb

sportsfantb New Member

Even I am not sure about it but I think I read somewhere in some article that they were paid this 'X' amount for the first season. Don't remember where i actually read it:p But the players will have to pay the taxes in India and in their country (not sure about this) from their salary. And not all players may receive bonuses and it's not a sure thing if not included in the contract.It all comes down to the franchise owner's decision.
    Only LCW and JS and a couple other doubles players got comparatively big pay-checks. So, even if the tax amount is deducted from their salary, they still get nice amount for a 16 day work. So, the other players who got sold for a much lesser amount (which includes almost all the other foreign players) will only get peanuts if its a salary for 2 seasons. I know, that amount is a pre-paid salary which has no dependence on their performance in the tournament. But still, players won't have enough motivation to play for such amount considering some players fought their associations to play in it. They will definitely get a bigger price in the next auction. That's for sure.

16. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Yep. This is what happens. The prize money will be distributed among the players. This money will not be given to the franchisee as if you are mentioning about. I have never ever heard something like that as if you mentioned before.

The salary with which the player was bought is for 1 year. I mean only for this edition. Next year, the same salary will be given to the players since the contract is for 2 years. This is usual procedure..

17. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

At the start the stories were saying franchises that win in the first season may break even etc. And never has any story ever talked about the players receiving such an amount not even in the most embelished stories. I hope you are right and I am wrong but convinced different.

Usual procedure? There is no usual procedure IBL is new. Sorry buddy I am not trying to argue on purpose but just interested. Do you know what you say or are you guessing about both scenarios?

18. sportsfantb

sportsfantb New Member

19. sportsfantb

sportsfantb New Member

I hope so . But I guess, in IPL, the players receive only half the winners price and the remaining half goes to the franchise as a reward for their investment. Nowhere did they mention that the prize money will only go to the players. No clear info on that.

20. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    If possible the franchisee may get a share. But not the whole money goes into their pocket !!